PDA

View Full Version : Open Link in New Window - HOW?

FJJP
9th Jan 2004, 23:20
Does anyone know how to setup the browser software to open a link in a new window every time? I can get Google to do it, but I can't get it to do it as a permanent feature in, say, PPrune. I have to right click every time and select 'open link in new window'.

TVM, FJJP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jan 2004, 00:14
FJJP,

[list=1]
Open Internet Explorer.
Choose Internet Options from the Tools menu.
Go to the Advanced tab.
Under Browsing, uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts."
Click OK.
[/list=1]

If you prefer to hack your registry:

[list=1]
Open Registry Editor by clicking Start and Run and typing regedit
Go to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main.
Look for value AllowWindowReuse. If you can't find the value, create a DWORD value for it.
Set the Data Value to 0 for "Do not reuse window." (A setting of 1 specifies "Reuse window.")
Exit the registry and reboot for your changes to take effect.
[/list=1]

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Before hacking your registry, make sure you back it up!

FJJP
10th Jan 2004, 08:11
Richard, tried your option 1 but it didn't work. Went into regedit and said value is already zero. Guess I'll have to make do with the right click!

FJJP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jan 2004, 08:35
FJJP,

The hack allows any hyperlink in Word, Outlook or any other Web Enabled Program, to force the webpage to open in a new IE window.

The easy way to do what you want without having the right click is just to SHIFT + LEFT CLICK. That will open the link in a new IE window every time.

Sorry I miss understood what you were asking for earlier. (I should not speed read when in a hurry and try to do a fast reply.) :ouch:

Take Care,

Richard

FJJP
11th Jan 2004, 03:43
Thanks Richard. In Google under preferences, you can select 'open results in new window'. I was hoping that I could set up IE6 to achieve the same effect. It's no big deal to use the right click, but opening in a new window with a single left click on the link would be a nice refinement.

Regards,

FJJP