PDA

View Full Version : Safe Computer Usage

Fergal20
9th Jan 2004, 20:11
Hello,

I have a PLL and I'm currently in my last year of doing my degree in computer programming. I am worried that as I am using a computer very often that I am going to damage my eyes. I did have perfect eyesight but recently I noticed a slight blurriness in one of my eyes.

What are the recommended guidelines when using computers so as not to damage your eyes, or is there any?

Also, does anyone know of any site on the web that I can download an eye sight test chart (the one with all the letters on it - don’t know what its called).

Thanks in advance.

Krallu
9th Jan 2004, 21:22
Hi there!

I recommend buying some plus lens glasses for reading. +1 to start with. Even if you don't need them but if you use them at computer work then the eyes can only progress in the "right" way and won't get nearsighted.

In the beginning it might feel a little odd but you can read and the eyes will adapt to it.

If you put on minus glasses that you normally get for nearsightedness the eyes will adapt the other way and you can get more nearsightedness from that.

Then common sense is also applied to it. Keep normal distance to screen and try to look away and focus on something far away from time to time.

Try to relax your eyes and use palming technique. You can find that if you search the net.

Have a nice day!

KingAir77
9th Jan 2004, 21:32
Hi,
I worked in IT for years before starting my flying carreer. All I can suggest you is to use TFT flat screens as much as you can, as they pose less stress on the eyes (the image is not re-generated when no changes happen in the screen, so they do not have the "flickering" that even high frequerncy CRT minitors have). They were introduced when I worked in the field, and I could notice that I was less tired after a day´s work when using laptops or desktop TFT´s.

On the other hand, if you want to stay at PPL level, don´t worry, as medical standards fro PPL allow quite a lot of correction. I don´t think that you can damage the eyes up to that level from just working on screens. And TFT screens become more common and affordable anyway, so the situation should improve in the future of yopur carreer

newswatcher
9th Jan 2004, 21:43
This (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106750) recent thread may be useful.

Fergal20
9th Jan 2004, 23:29
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I still have very good eyesight. There’s very little I cant see, even in a lecture when everybody has to move closer to the front to see something small on the board I can see it perfectly from the back.

Its just that I hope to start commercial training for a ATPL and I don’t want to damage my eyes when I have only a few more months left in college after four years!

I have heard that a flat screen monitor is safer on the eyes so I think I'll have to spend some flying money
:mad:

Thanks;)

Jimmy The Big Greek
11th Jan 2004, 02:03
I have the same dilemma. I love computer games and I spend a lot of time in front of the monitor. I'am using Dell TFT monitor and I must say that it's a very good investment. I have never experienced any eye straints as I sometimes had with CRT's. But even with TFT's Every hour in front of the computer I look outside for 5 min at the sea as far as I can.