PDA

View Full Version : US Major Security Issue - 10 Year Old Wanting Flight Simulator

bealine
9th Jan 2004, 18:11
I felt I had to share this with you. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I was referred to this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/34776.html

(Copy of article below in case web-page removed or altered)

Flight Sim enquiry raises terror alert
By Andrew Orlowski in Las Vegas
Posted: 08/01/2004 at 22:39 GMT
Get The Reg wherever you are, with The Mobile Register

A mother's enquiry about buying Microsoft Flight Simulator for her ten-year-old son prompted a night-time visit to her home from a state trooper.

Julie Olearcek, a USAF Reserve pilot made the enquiry at a Staples store in Massachusetts, home to an earlier bout of hysteria, during the Salem witch trials.

So alarmed was the Staples clerk at the prospect of the ten year old learning to fly, that he informed the police, the Greenfield Recorder reports. The authorities moved into action, leaving nothing to chance. A few days later, Olearcek was alarmed to discover a state trooper flashing a torch into to her home through a sliding glass door at 8:30 pm on a rainy night.

Olearcek is a regular Staples customer and schools her son at home. The Staples manager simply explained that staff were obeying advice. Shortly before Christmas, the FBI issued a terror alert to beware of drivers with maps, or reference books.

At one time it was rare to find US citizens, in the safest and most prosperous country in the world, jumping at their own shadows. Now we only note how high. ®

Related Story
Beware of strangers carrying books, warns FBI

Do you advise Small Businesses on their IT requirements?
Would you like more information to do this?
Would you like to work with Microsoft to produce a new site that will help you to help your customers? If so, please click here.
You are an IT God! - Find your next job on Jobsite today

Bluejay
9th Jan 2004, 18:44
Sounds to me like another case of Yank overreaction!!!!:uhoh: :rolleyes:

knobbygb
14th Jan 2004, 19:18
There simply MUST be more to this than the article admits too, surely? Even in the current climate, oven 'over there' I honestly can't believe that a conversion such as...

"Excuse me, do you stock MSFS?"
"No, sorry madam"

...could prompt a call to police. I suggest the conversation may have gone more like:

"Excuse me, do you stock MSFS?"
"Nah"
"Well, will you be getting any in?"
"Dunno" (shrugs shoulders and walks away)
"Right, I'm off. This is a crap store anyway - I hope someone crashes a jet into it..."

Or is the day approaching when I'll have to get a special MSFS type certicicate on my license before I can play? Now that I almost COULD believe :uhoh:

zed3
14th Jan 2004, 19:30
Paranoid , is I believe the word we are looking for. Yet again.

TemporaryCrepello
15th Jan 2004, 00:56
Problem is, all the BS can only dilute the attention given to real security issues.

I suspect if she'd wanted to buy him a gun, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow...

Globaliser
15th Jan 2004, 15:43
TemporaryCrepello: Problem is, all the BS can only dilute the attention given to real security issues. Yup, like spotting ammunition being taken into the aircraft cabin!