PDA

View Full Version : 707 Barrel Roll Footage

paulo
9th Jan 2004, 04:54
I've got it! :ok:

If anyone could be kind enough to give me FTP access to some web hosting, I'll happily upload it.

Timothy
9th Jan 2004, 06:54
I can do that...eMail or PM me if you still need it.

Will

paulo
9th Jan 2004, 21:23
707 (Dash 80) Barrel Roll (http://www.pholmes999.plus.com/Boeing707Dash80BarrelRoll.wmv)

Right click save as... it's about 2 meg or so.

[edited to fix link]

Lear_doctor
9th Jan 2004, 21:54
Does not seem to work :(

The Doc

Globaliser
9th Jan 2004, 21:58
Try this (http://www.pholmes999.plus.com/Boeing707Dash80BarrelRoll.wmv).

Thank you very much, paulo - and to your webhost! Much appreciated.

Lear_doctor
9th Jan 2004, 22:26
That works perfectly. Thanks for that 'G'

Regards

The Doc

vintage ATCO
9th Jan 2004, 23:45
Brilliant, always wanted to see that!

Now, who caught the B1B at Cottesmore??? :confused:

VA

paulo
10th Jan 2004, 02:51
Thanks for that correction Globaliser - bit spooky that you knew what the right URL is though!

Globaliser
10th Jan 2004, 02:58
No problem, but there was no magic in it - I'm still trying to get that very big Concorde video.

hairyclameater
10th Jan 2004, 04:06
Caught the B1B at Cottesmore doing what exactly??

vintage ATCO
10th Jan 2004, 04:54
A roll after the high speed fly by, year 2000.

You want it when?
10th Jan 2004, 17:31
Tsk tsk not very tidy, seemed to lose some height at the roll out.

Onkly kidding! Thanks for sharing.

seafuryfan
12th Jan 2004, 03:41
Thanks for sharing. Just love that 'elevator style' music and company narration .:ok:

DOC.400
12th Jan 2004, 04:11
F*ck!!!! :D :D :D

DOC

Man-on-the-fence
12th Jan 2004, 05:17
The copyright is clearly not mine (probably Boeing) but it is a well known photo and an amazing shot.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/Mil_Photos/707buzz3.jpg

Wycombe
13th Jan 2004, 17:25
Vintage ATCO,

I was at Cottesmore 2000 (RIAT Volunteer), but because I was supposed to be "working" didn't have my camcorder with me at the required moment!

A pity, as it was one of the more spectacular airshow moments I've witnessed over the last 20 years. Some other RIAT treats from the heavier machinery that instantly spring to mind:

1. Rolling ItAF G222
2. Looping Ukranian An72
3. Single-engined SwedAF C130

Most of the above are now FCC manoevers non-grata AFAIK

Sorry for thread creap, but some great Airshow memories.

witchdoctor
13th Jan 2004, 19:11
Fabulous - I'll take a dozen!:D

Whadya mean I can't do it with pax on board?:*

Speaking of airshows, didn't the Dutch used to do crazy low-level rolling type nonsense with a F27?

treadigraph
13th Jan 2004, 20:20
The B-1B at Boscombe in 1990 did a "just-this-side -of-supersonic" pass, then went vertical, rolling through the thin stratus at 7000 or so... punched a hole right through it it did, you could see daylight the other side...

Dutch F-27 display never rolled the aircraft - the series of wingovers did get very steep, and on occasion stopping the roll could be very difficult. In extremus, I once saw it reach as near as dammit wings level inverted at Biggin Hill, a roll through surely would have been easier (and safer?), but they stopped it and rolled back the other way! Don't think I was the only one with my heart in my mouth! Take off litany must have been "V1, gear up...", and as the runway lights or other obstructions drew near, ..."rotate!" For half the display either the port or starboard was feathered, though never both - but I bet they could have done that as well! Great display, sorely missed...

vintage ATCO
13th Jan 2004, 20:33
At the Clophill Fete, Dog Show and Air Display once we had a spirted display by a NAF F-27 and on one pass at a few hundred feet stuffed the nose down, only rounding out a few umpty dumpty feet above the ground before climbing away. No runway remember! :D

BeauMan
13th Jan 2004, 21:18
Ah yes, rolling big things....

B1 at Waddington on the Sunday, 2001 I think. Same year the Israelis had the F15's there.

B1 boy does a couple of passes, then diappears for a few minutes. Next time I see him, he's swept his feathers and is travelling at the speed of heat at not many feet; approaching crowd centre he pulls up, lights the fires, and rolls. I lost sight of him as he entered the cloudbase, burners lit, rolling through wings inverted, and still climbing.

Outstanding! :ok:

wub
14th Jan 2004, 00:35
I have VHS video of a B1-B rolling during a zoom climb at Mildenhall, sometime in the mid 90s.

Incidentally, after Tex Johnson had rolled the 707, the boss of Boeing asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, to which Tex replied "selling airplanes!"

witchdoctor
14th Jan 2004, 04:18
wub,

I think you might finally be somebody with hard evidence that I am not mad. I have always been adamant that I saw the B1-B doing extraordinary things at Mildenhall ('93 I'm sure was the last time I was able to get there - the year they had the SR-71 making transonic passes and 6nm turnarounds for another go!!!:D ), but it had reached an altitude beyond any accurate visual capacity with the MK1 eyeball, and above some thin stratus to be totally sure. Something like a half loop with a roll off the top at something beyond 5000' I reckon. Sound familiar?

WD

Dr Illitout
14th Jan 2004, 05:29
If the wings had folded up and the aircraft had ploughed into the crowd would we all be flying DeHavillands now????

hairyclameater
14th Jan 2004, 17:39
B1 rolling, thats why I asked Vintage ATCO originally in this thread -it seemed as though it was a rare event!
B1 display (I use the term lightly - a couple of passes lo/hi speed with zoom climb but because of noise/speed/size combination very very impressive) restrictions have relaxed and most will end with a climb and roll. Originally a hard push over and rolling the right way out to S&L Since Mildenhall 91 (first time I saw it) the roll has been a complete 360 and still climbing. Apart from cloudbase, it also depends on how much US "brass" is around to determine how energetic the show is. There are several airshow videos that show this. Though I have never witnesseed it, a roll off the top in a B1 should be perfectly feasible and I am sure there are certain ex V bomber drivers out there who have done such a thing in their time in a Vulcan and/or Victor.
As with all "big jobs" size and speed are always gonna please the crowd and it is harder to make large objects look as though they are going fast compared to small ones. At the first UK B1 flying apearance (Mildenhall 89 I think) during the practice on the Friday, the (very) high speed pass was mis judged rather and took place at around 100' over much of Beck Row rather than 12000' of concrete.Cue several claims from greenhouse owners for smashed windows!

Wub - last SR71 flying appearance at Mildenhall was '88 - B1B didnt appear in UK untill Lakenheath show in '88 so definitely not '93!

Dutch F27 (they should do the same in a Fokker 60 nowadays)and Italian G222 always superb displays- though only the '222 actually rolls - one full aileron and 2 derrys. Italians also displayed the Piaggio 180 Avanti and this included rolls and a very viscious bunt that bordered on a stall.Dutch Troopship display ended with one of the more pronounced "Keh -Sahn" approaches - re Clophill Fete and also St Athan , were the display line is along the disused runway full of parked aircraft.

Dont think the Ukrainian Coaler actually looped - just a very tight inclined loop which keeps the wings just past the vertical. Similar to the F27, G222 and Swedish Herc- incidentally they use the oldest C130 in Europe for displays! Also I dont think he feathers 3 engines and certainly not at an IAT!- Have seen him feather outer 2 at shows abroad.

treadigraph
14th Jan 2004, 18:12
Ah yes, forgot the Keh San (how do you spell that?) approach by the Dutch...

Saw an Italian Avanti looped at Fairford as well - noisy so and sos they are, one came off the hold at Biggin a few months ago, occasioning me to look up and see what the hell it was!

The B1 at Boscombe had taken off and done a few wings forward passes before disappearing much to everybody's disappointment - a Let 610 did it stuff, then I observed a small, yet rapidly expanding, browny-grey cloud far off to the west across Salisbury Plain, so I actually kept both feet on the ground as it went past! It may well have rolled off the top of its climb, we just couldn't bloody see it 'cos of the stratus!

MLS-12D
16th Jan 2004, 04:39
If the wings had folded up and the aircraft had ploughed into the crowd would we all be flying DeHavillands now????Maybe. I'm not sure that anything would have helped the ill-fated Comet. More probably we'd all be flying about in descendants of the superior Jetliner (http://www.avroland.ca/al-c102.shtml) (see also here (http://www.avroarrow.org/Jetliner/JetlinerIntro.html) and here (http://www.lancerusswurm.com/jetliner.htm)).

Thanks paulo for posting the Barrel Roll clip.:D

wub
16th Jan 2004, 18:12
WD:

Checked my video, memory plays tricks sometimes. The incident I mentioned was at Mildenhall in '97, certainly no SR-71 there but the B1 did not roll. He made a low pass and zoom climbed then rolled right until he was inverted and the flew like that for 5 seconds (I counted, sad or what?:rolleyes: ) then rolled left to level flight, so it sounds like the same thing you described.

TURIN
16th Jan 2004, 21:54
Has anyone got a link to the Vulcan doing a barrel roll at (I think) Farnborough. I think it was in the late sixties as it's black and white footage, with Raymond Baxter commentating ".....well what about that?!"

Thanks for the link of the 707 film. I have only seen the inverted photo before. :ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Jan 2004, 23:02
I've got a Video called 'The Best of British Aviation', which is Farnboroughs from the early 50s onwards. It shows the Vulcan roll, and the Vulcan and Victor doing the 'half loop and roll off the top' bomb delivery technique.

And those passes by the Hunter and other fighters - very fast and as low as it's possible to go, with photgraphers right by the runway in grave danger of decapitation. No Health & Safety back then:)

SSD

hairyclameater
17th Jan 2004, 04:18
Re "No Health & Safety back then"

No common sense more like! those photographers were mad- standing under a Valiant wing is one thing but having to duck under a rolling Hunters wing tip..well thats just stupid!

Scariest moment on those Farnborough videos for me is a fully loaded Hunters inverted pass that descends dramatically as it pulls into a hard turn and heads straight for that small wood on the far side!! Surely only seconds from disaster!:uhoh: