PDA

View Full Version : Another AA rudder problem

Bubbette
5th Dec 2001, 08:47
This isn't related to what happend on Flt 587 is it?

An American Airlines Airbus jetliner departing Lima, Peru, Wednesday evening experienced severe rudder problems during takeoff, forcing it to return to the airport, CNN learned Friday.

The aircraft, an Airbus A300-600, is the same model aircraft as American Airlines Flight 587, which crashed in New York on November 12, killing all 260 people on the plane and five people on the ground in the Rockaway neighborhood of Queens.

Investigators trying to determine the cause of that crash are looking at whether a structural defect in the Airbus' tail section -- which includes the rudder -- may have been a contributing factor.

In Wednesday's incident in Peru, the pilots reported "fish tailing" soon after takeoff.

An aviation source told CNN the aircraft experienced severe rudder fluctuations. A preliminary NTSB report said the plane landed safely and its flight recorders have been pulled for further investigation.

http://europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/americas/11/30/american.airlines.incident/index.html

Raas767
6th Dec 2001, 05:29
The Feds have grounded the jet in LIM.

dallas dude
6th Dec 2001, 05:55
At this early stage it appears to be a yaw damper "over-reaction" rather than anything similar to 587.

I don't blame the crew (hopefully everyone else will understand too) one bit for returning to the airport in light of recent events.

schit.furbraen
6th Dec 2001, 07:11
Strange, no one remembers the 737 rudder problem. then again it is the feds investigating.

Few Cloudy
6th Dec 2001, 19:01
On the other hand, we haven't had a vertical stabilizer fall off a 737 yet...

beardy
6th Dec 2001, 23:09
No, just 737s falling of their perches.

shocka
7th Dec 2001, 04:08
Can the rudder /damper assy be switched off after onset ??

Raas767
7th Dec 2001, 04:41
I just got an e-mail from my union regarding the AA A300 fleet. Apparantly mechanics in Boston want the entire fleet grounded because they found lose rudder attachment fittings on two jets. It made one of the local papers in Boston.
The plot thickens...

411A
7th Dec 2001, 08:54
Plastic tails with lose bolts...what next?

schit.furbraen
8th Dec 2001, 04:42
what next? tail trim screw jacks stripping.
Ooops, already happend.

Capt Homesick
8th Dec 2001, 05:02
What's next? We find the problem, we fix it, and we learn from it, just like we've dealt with every problem since 1903. Name calling and "my aeroplane's safer than yours" doesn't contribute a great deal: for the record I'd be thrilled to have either a Boeing or an Airbus on my licence- neither is the perfect aeroplane, but then again the perfect aeroplane wouldn't really need us!

Red 69
8th Dec 2001, 06:32
Bolts are supposed to be wirelocked so as to prevent them coming loose. Maybe they were loosend? Boston again? More coincidences? :eek:

411A
8th Dec 2001, 09:29
AA....again. Remember ORD...DC-10? Could it be....poor maintenance...again?
OTOH....AirBus...poorly designed?
Time will tell.

Bomber Harris
9th Dec 2001, 18:23
Well said Capt Homesick. No matter what conspiracy theories are flying around about the taliban loosening bolts, mechanics making mistakes and badly designed aeroplanes; what you said holds true.

The professionals just pick themselves up, analyse what happened and move forward. The rest are like exited little puppy dogs jumping around the heels of their masters making all sorts of wild suggestions whilst not achieveing anything.

I hope they find out why this aircraft crashed, and I hope they put a fix in place so it is very very unlikely to ever happen again.......it's as simple as that!