PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone signal boosters

AerBabe
8th Jan 2004, 18:48
Has anyone tried these? We live in a reception blind spot, which means that if I want to use my mobile at home I have to sit in one of several equally uncomfortable positions for fear of losing signal. :rolleyes:

BOAC
8th Jan 2004, 21:44
I do not know about boosters, but have had success by telling my provider that the service is **** and that I am changing if they do not investigate the station performance and/or upgrade it/them. If that fails DO change to one that gives coverage at home.

Keef
9th Jan 2004, 08:29
Those "strap on" boosters don't work at all at all. They are genuine snake oil. I mean, if a bit of placcy like that would improve things so much, wouldn't you expect Nokia and Ericsson etc to know about it and build it in?

If you live in a dead spot, the options are to change provider or to find the spots in the house that work. Upstairs might figure in that, or at the side of the house nearest the cellsite.

If you're really keen, go for an antenna on the roof with a good quality cable and a mounting in the room where you use your phone - effectively, the same as a car antenna kit. Then Bluetooth from the phone to your head. Or just leave the phone where it gets a signal and use Bluetooth anyway.

I use a contract SIM on O2 for normal, and have a T-Mobile PAYG in my old phone for those times when the O2 doesn't work. I only know of one or two places where T-Mobile's signal is better than O2's anyway - my lounge being one of them.

kabz
9th Jan 2004, 11:57
What kind of uncomfortable position ? :E

I'll get my coat .... :(

BOAC
9th Jan 2004, 15:54
Hey kabz - let's hope she has a video phone...................

AerBabe
9th Jan 2004, 16:33
Keef - Thanks for that. Pretty much what I thought - if it's possible, why haven't they done it? Bluetooth is a good idea. My current mobile is slightly better than my old one, but I still sometimes find it slightly easier to use a hands free cable so I don't get cramp...

... which brings me onto Kabz - wouldn't you like to know. ;)