PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of "Uplift Value Restr."

drauk
8th Jan 2004, 17:40
I have an e-ticket issued by AirMiles. Under restrictions it says, amongst other things that I understand, "UPLIFT VALUE RESTR." Any ideas what this means?

Boss Raptor
8th Jan 2004, 20:10
Uplift Value relates to the way an airline records/charges prorata a ticket to another carrier - it is an accounting function I believe and not directly related the the passenger/customer...

The first coupon is retained by the airline for revenue accounting purposes it is called the 'Primary Coupon Uplift', when it enters the system it has been 'uplifted' and is said to have a 'value'...similar in concept to a cheque...if the airline loses that they cannot claim through the clearing house to another carrier.

In this case maybe one can read this as Air Miles will only accept a maximum billing charge 'value' from the carrier in question. We need Bealine or similar person with access to the Air Miles and/or IATA revenue accounting manual

bealine
9th Jan 2004, 00:04
Boss Raptor's almost hit the nail on the head. Hypothetically, just suppose Air Miles sell you a ticket for GBP 59 return to Paris with BA. On the day you're due to go, British Airways suffer massive problems and cancel your flight - revalidating your ticket for an Air France flight later that day.

The term "Uplift Value Restricted" indicates to Air France that they will receive a maximum of 50% of the GBP59 paid for the ticket (the one-way fare actually paid for the ticket)- even if the only seats left available for sale are at the Full Business Class fare (close to GBP250!)

Fortunately for the travellers of scheduled airlines, IATA "Gentlemen's agreements" exist where we all rally round and cooperate to help each other's customers in times of crisis - sometimes the welfare and convenience of our clients come before pure financial issues!

drauk
9th Jan 2004, 00:30
That answers my question then. Thanks.