PDA

View Full Version : Job prospects

Dude~
7th Jan 2004, 19:59
I would really appreciate some serious feed back here please, as I am fast approaching decision time in my life.

What are the job prospects based on the following criteria?

300 hrs total time
JAR CPL (CPL theory only)
FI(R)
Night
MEP with some twin time.

I suppose another way of putting this is to ask what experience and qualifications did you, or intructors you know have when they started their first job?

Is an IMC (or FAA IR / JAA IR) virtually an unwritten pre-requisite or would some FTOs consider a 300hr VFR newbie? Do people get hired with 300 hrs?

Don't get caught up in intricacies such as character, or location for now, though for the record I am a 'he' and could relocate anywhere in the British Isles!

Cheers

Say again s l o w l y
7th Jan 2004, 20:48
I had about 270 TT when I started instructing, the same as most of the guy's at the club.

If you only have the CPL writtens, then you can't get paid, take some advice and go and do the CPL flight test ASAP, that way you can get some cash and the chances of anybody else getting a decent wage won't get knocked again by somebody doing a job for free.

An IMC isn't a pre-requisite, but it is a sensible thing to have.

Dude~
7th Jan 2004, 21:11
'Say Again Slowly', thanks for your reply.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but my criteria included a full JAR CPL, but not the full ATPL theory as most people do. Thus I would be abe to get paid but would have to do the JAR ATPL theory later on, before doing the IR.

Say again s l o w l y
7th Jan 2004, 22:12
Ahh, sorry for the vitriol. A very emotive subject that one!

Good luck with it all, but I always recommend that people may as well go straight in for the ATPL's and get the I/R done ASAP, though obviously you do need to have lots of cash available at the time!

GT
7th Jan 2004, 22:15
Hi,

I had only 260 TT when I started in summer '96. One thing though, I'd try and get your restriction lifted as soon as you can. Best of luck.

Regards, GT.

FlyingForFun
8th Jan 2004, 00:00
I would have thought that not having ATPL written exams or an IR would make you more attractive to flying schools if anything? At least there's no danger of you running off to the airlines next week...

FFF
------------------

mad_jock
8th Jan 2004, 00:38
I agree with FFF not having the ATPL's or IR might swing it in your favour against what on paper appears a better qualified FI(R).

IMC is really a save your neck addition.

Since they banned PPL training on top there is no real need for any Instrument qualification.

I got taken on as a FI with 210hrs CPL/IR before completing my FIC

The instructor who got taken on after I left didn't have his IR or FIC completed and I know it was one of the reasons why he got interviewed (apart from the fact he was one of 4 that bothered his arse to reply within a week of me posting the job on PPrune)

MJ

Dude~
8th Jan 2004, 02:52
Well, I'm glad I asked the question now because it never occured to me that not having a frozen ATPL might run in my favour!

Also, it seems that 300 hrs total time would be sufficient.

Well, just got to decide whether to go for it and commit to flying and debt, or take advantage of government funding, student loan perks, golden hellos, etc and become a teacher! Shock horror. That way, I'd have a career to fall back on, and the money in the bank to pay for a FIC course myself rathger than get a bank loan.

It's a tricky scenario. I keep thinking to myself, if I instruct or teach where will I be in say 3 years? Eg, stuggling to pay off student loans and pilot training loans with a meagre income, [I]but[I] flying often, or earning a decent living, enjoying private flying and not having to worry about debt... shall I toss a coin?!;)

RodgerF
8th Jan 2004, 17:01
MJ

Quote:

Since they banned PPL training on top there is no real need for any Instrument qualification.

Since when? Who are they?

GT
8th Jan 2004, 17:45
I was wondering that.

Dude~
15th Jan 2004, 23:35
Are FI jobs ever formally advertised or is it really a case of making calls and pestering all your contacts?

jsf
17th Jan 2004, 05:21
Hey mad-jock

Qualify this bit about not being allowed to train ppl students on top in good VMC over a layer!

Is that just in Scotland or just in your head?

If it's real then we're f*&^%$ for training at LBA cos it's shi* here more often that not at this time of year!

jsf

PS hows the new job going you lucky git?

FMIRC
21st Jan 2004, 20:12
You have more than enough experience to instruct once you have obtained your CPL and FI rating. Choose a school who will do both the CPL and FI training, continuity is everything. Also worth going to a school which may need newly qualified instructors, schools tend to prefer FI's they have trained themselves. Try the Flight Centre at Wolverhampton - www.hgfc.co.uk
Good Luck