PDA

View Full Version : WA Police Wing

StraightnLevel
7th Jan 2004, 16:55
For those in the know.....

I've been curious for some time about flying for the police wing.

What are their requirements for the PA 31's, how do you apply and what are the pay conditions like.

Cheers.

Piston Twin
7th Jan 2004, 18:44
Unless things have changed I'm pretty sure you have to be a serving member of the police force to get in.

Islander Jock
7th Jan 2004, 19:43
and from discussions I've had from people in the job. There is a long long list of coppers with CPLs just waiting for their chance.

Dawn Raid
8th Jan 2004, 18:55
And I'm one of them !!!

agfa
8th Jan 2004, 20:13
must have taken you ages to think up that post dawn'y, not only very un original but it has a touch of arrogance attached to it. hey constable.

did you use spell check or did you only use words you learned in grade 2 ?

Northern Chique
9th Jan 2004, 06:40
NT Police has an airwing of sorts also with 1 PA 31 and 1 PC12.....

Both are flown by civvies. The PC12 operates out of Darwin and clocks up the hours at a fair rate of knots, the other Im not sure about.

A fair amount of time logged is required though.

swh
9th Jan 2004, 08:01
Where else do you get paid 70k to fly a PA31, fly in a PA31@FL130 (do they have O2?), and quote "fly right above the XXXXXX XXXXXXXX heads on at 20' on the highway near XXXXXX"

Seems the perception the public has about they way they drive the vehicles when people are not looking is a bit like the perception they have when flying their aircraft.

And how do they take pax without a charter AOC ?

neville_nobody
9th Jan 2004, 08:07
Suprised that the WA air wing is still an internal gig after that prang they had at Newman. The ATSB report was rather damning of the standards of the Air Wing and the fact that charter operators had to comply with higher standards for pilots and flight rules. They did suggest opening it up to civies to expand the experience base. The guy that pranged didn't have a instrument rating if I recall correctly.

The Canadian Royal Mount Police airwing was recently opened up to civies for that very reason, that it expands the experience base. Previously they had guys jumping in a PC12 with 200 hours, now they are getting pro pilots with squillions of hours which has to be a safer option.

Islander Jock
9th Jan 2004, 09:45
Whoa agfa. Lighten up there son.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in Dawn Raid's post re spell check. However one thing is for certain, your grammar could certainly do with some tidying up.:rolleyes:

agfa
9th Jan 2004, 10:58
Fair call jock, grammar wasn't the best was it. But do we agree that it is a bit of a wanky post.

"AND I AM ONE OF THEM" so nah nah nah every one else stay away its mine.

My 5 year old daughter comes up with better than that.

Dawn Raid
10th Jan 2004, 15:51
aaaahhhhmmm.....( just clearing my throat to respond after being somewhat floored by agfa's comment.)

"and I'm one of them" means just that, I'm one of a long list of coppers who hold a CPL and wish to get into the air support unit.

Did anyone else misinterpret what I said - actually did anyone take it personally ( I doubt it.)

I'd be arrogant if I said the next jobs mine. There are some very highly qualified pilots in the job. We weren't born coppers.... some of us have qualifications that extend beyond that of policing. The pilots in the WA Police Air Support Unit are as good as anyone else on the airfield.

Islander Jock - thanks.

PS: Whats with the comment about my choice of words?

Towering Q
10th Jan 2004, 17:10
"AND I AM ONE OF THEM" so nah nah nah every one else stay away its mine.

After seeing this comment I went back and reread the post. Doesn't seem "wanky" to me. Are we missing something here agfa or do you have issues regarding the WA Police Airwing? It sure sounds like it.

hey constable. Interesting choice of words. Dawny, with all that angst I think agfa may have been a 'customer' of yours some time in the past.

Dawn Raid
10th Jan 2004, 17:20
I'm guessing agfa is a well balanced aussie.... you know, he's got a chip on BOTH shoulders.

OpsNormal
11th Jan 2004, 07:28
NT Police has an airwing of sorts also with 1 PA 31 and 1 PC12.....

Both are flown by civvies. The PC12 operates out of Darwin and clocks up the hours at a fair rate of knots, the other Im not sure about.

A fair amount of time logged is required though.

As usual N_C, your finger right on the pulse, so to speak.... ;)

The PC-12 does indeed operate out of Darwin, especially busy during the wet, when many of the Top End communities are only accessible by air. The Navajo is based in Alice Springs (driven by O'Bearded One and one other), and basically covers their needs across the southern end of the Territory, encompassing from just north of Tennant Creek to the E, S and Western borders.

As to min requirements, I do not know off-hand, but at a guesswould have be at least a couple of K with at least a K of that multi. Don't know how many renewals either.

Suggest Call the Airwing (Alice Springs), for the goss if you are fair dinkum, the number is in the NT White Pages.... page 195, or even the Darwin Branch.

Regards,
Ops.

compressor stall
11th Jan 2004, 08:46
SWH,

Hey mate, how's things up there! You're getting a new toy sooner rather than later I hear!

As for carrying pax, well it's a private operation. No duty time, no CPL, required.

IMHO, they should buy a PC12, base it out of PH and move the PA31 to Broome, and advertise for pilots. If a serving copper (like Dawnie) meets the grade, well and good, but it should be the most qualified and suitable man/woman for the job.

CS

Hey Dawnie, catch you this arvo? :ok:

Dawn Raid
11th Jan 2004, 10:52
CS

I'll be out at the club around 2.

Sheepdog
12th Jan 2004, 11:36
Hey dawn boy pehaps you should front up down the Air Wing and tel them your thoughts face to face?

Cant see that happening some how, something to do with the lack of hallow halls.

swh
12th Jan 2004, 11:37
Hey CS,

Yeap, apparently the daisy cutter is going, and we will be trained up on the new a/c just after its CofA, before its fit out, be the newest a/c I have ever flown.

:ok:

Dawn Raid
12th Jan 2004, 15:33
People, people, people.... what is going on here? Don't hijack the thread.

Sheepdog...what ARE you on about?

Towering Q
13th Jan 2004, 16:38
I'll have some of whatever he's on.

the wizard of auz
13th Jan 2004, 19:11
agfa, C'mon bloke, your a bit better than that. I know Dawnie personally, and he has worked very hard for a shot at the airwing. his personal life has gone on hold and he has done/doing the hard yards towards what he wants to do........ settle down a tad. your usualy a better bloke than that. ;)

sheepdog, mate, that certainly bought nothing to the discussion. maybe a bit of research before mouth engagement huh? :hmm:

Towering Q
15th Jan 2004, 08:32
Well said Wiz ...D&G General Aviation's unofficial moderator.:ok:

Woomera
15th Jan 2004, 08:41
Yes wiz thank you elephant stamp for you and you can have the bottle of milk in the crate nearest the fire for playlunch.:D
That'll date anyone who knows what it means:p :{

maxgrad
15th Jan 2004, 10:22
woomera
gold top or silver top?

Not_Another_Pot
15th Jan 2004, 15:16
Lumpy milk, yummmmm. I could see nothing wrong with Dawns post, but then I'm not a com pilot:O

NAP

OpsNormal
15th Jan 2004, 15:19
Red tops max (the only way to go), they had both treatments! You'd get half a cup of cream outta dem goldies.... the old man reckoned that that cream was just bonza for his porridge in the morning.

Got your email, have responded. Toppa da mornin' to you max! :ok:

/me slaps NAP and tells him to drag his sorry self over "the other place"..... :D

The Voice
15th Jan 2004, 15:37
well if you remember the bottles so well, when did the tetrahedron packs come out?

we used to have to line up come rain hail or shine and drink it together as a school .. but then, that was the crow eaters for you!

maxgrad
15th Jan 2004, 18:24
Ops N...an da rest o da day to you my good sir!

The Voice....got me on the tetrahedon cartons.:p :ok:

Terrain Terrain
24th Jan 2004, 17:23
Agfa: What has brought on the sour grapes? Talk about unwarranted! Are you yet another pilot that thinks the industry owes you a job? Or is it just 'that time of the month'?

Dawnie: Your follow-up post was quite placating and almost apologetic! No need sir. Nothing wrong with your comments and good luck with the whole thing!

TT

Flaps Apart
25th Jan 2004, 23:41
How often do these jobs come up?

How many people apply and what is their experience?

Do they fly much and when they are not in the air what do they do the rest of the time?

Dawn Raid
27th Jan 2004, 21:14
TT

Thanks

Flaps - check your PM's

Dawnie

Towering Q
28th Jan 2004, 12:19
Flaps Apart, in answer to your questions, if D.R. hasn't done so already.

1. Once every 10 years

2. A handful of sworn officers and usually under 1000hrs. Those hours normally scraped together over several years of flying whenever possible. Similar to the low time CPL attempting to make themselves more employable.

3. They fly regularly. Mostly transporting the Brass around but also get involved in some 'interesting' jobs now and then. Bashing around Perth after dark in a 182 with a nite-sun strapped to the back would have it's moments. In answer to the second part of that question..who knows, maybe somebody inside could answer that.

Dawnies PM would be more accurate, I've been out of the loop for a couple of years.

Flaps Apart
28th Jan 2004, 19:50
Dawnie and Towering Q

thanks for your replies,

Flaps

Pass-A-Frozo
31st Jan 2004, 16:22
Previously they had guys jumping in a PC12 with 200 hours, now they are getting pro pilots with squillions of hours which has to be a safer option.

I don't see a problem with that. We put people in 707's, Herc's, and Hornets with just over 200 hours.

Ejector Pump
1st Feb 2004, 18:27
PAF (prob AKA Permant Air Force -WOW !!! )

Just read your reply and just have to enlighen you to the fact that I wasn't sure if I should just PUKE:yuk: or refer you to some other threads that could be more suited to your condenscending attitude to GA, such as :

"Scott Kelly has a small dick (I suppose someone with a frozee probably has a small one too:D ),

or

"Cringe Worthy." ( I just had to cringe after reading your post).

:yuk:

What can I say...we all have 'em, maybe I'm one too.

Tally Ho old mate:D

itchybum
2nd Feb 2004, 17:56
Wow.

I didn't think PAF was condescending at all. It's true, the RAAF guys get into a hornet with, I would've thought, more like about 300 hours but still good on 'em. Wish I had. But they have had a selection and training experience far removed from GA where almost anyone with the cash can persevere and get a CPL.

707? True but only RH Seat til the next tour.
Herc? Yep. And none lost yet although a few close calls.

so what's wrong with that ejector? Sounds like someone got knocked back at the interviews. maybe I'm one too. You could just be right...

I thought about the Police Air Wing once but was put off by the General Duties side of things. It sounded like it would be a long haul to actually get to fly so I flagged it. Good on anyone who has hung around and got the job. I hope "the beat" was worth it.

Not the best way (IMHO) for those chasing the usual hours/types/bigger/BIGGER/regionals/airlines/money trail.

Pass-A-Frozo is he right about the initials? I don't think so myself. I always wondered.

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Feb 2004, 17:09
Ejector Pump,

Were you smoking something or $hitfaced when you read my post. (Now I'm being condescending)

All I pointed out was that one organisation has been doing something safely for years , so I can't see the problem with another organisation doing it as well. I wasn't being "condescending" to GA. I am however being condescending to you after your comments. :mad:

PAF = Pass-A-Frozo .. nothing more, nothing less.

How about you balance yourself by getting a chip on the other shoulder. :yuk:

Oh by the way... PAF (prob AKA Permant Air Force -WOW !!! )
What the f#ck is Permant :ok:

Islander Jock
8th Feb 2004, 21:57
Ejector Pump,

Just to clarify if for you a little further as you clearly have a few cerebral cells misfiring. A "Frozo" is one of the snap frozen meals that are carried on just about any RAAF aircraft (with more than 2 crew that is). And re-heated in the on board pressure oven. Always better than the soggy sangas that were served down the back to the pongos. :p

Perhaps you already knew that but your pitiful attempt to try and purport PAF's handle to mean something else leaves me in doubt.

Tally Ho y'self.
:mad:

Joe KERR
9th Feb 2004, 14:00
The real answer to your question is this:

You have to be a serving member with at least 5 years service under your belt. 1/c constable or higher. This is for operational reasons when landing at secure sites or for prisoner transfers.

You will have a flight test in the 182 with the OIC of Airwing in the back seat and a CASA ATO up front. The test is on the lines of a CPL exam without the x country part.

Stalls, turns, engine failures etc......

At the moment they are pretty full in the pilot ranks as a recent top up was completed.

You do most of your time on the 182 in Perth and relieve in Karratha on the twin at holiday times and if required.

slice
9th Feb 2004, 14:50
Joe Kerr - just out of interest is the test with a CASA ATO something new since the 310 smash at Newman ?

Towering Q
11th Feb 2004, 07:42
Joe, I remember a time in the late 80's when two guys transferred to the Air Wing more or less straight from the Academy, and they were both PPL's! How times have changed. A reflection of the state of the industry perhaps?
:sad:

neville_nobody
13th Feb 2004, 12:56
Pass a Frozo

A gigantic difference between guys going through the air force system and guys with 200 hours out in civie land. For one the air force system will remove everyone who isn't up to scratch. So the only guys who get through are those who can cut the mustard. Secondly in the air force you are trained the air force way and fly the way they want you to fly. You will find also that the guys on F-18's are often the top few out of a group. It's not like everyone who applies to the air force walks straight through onto a F-18 with 200 hours.

As far as I'm aware the mounties used to take guys who were mounties and had gained their pilots license externally. So in terms of flying training it would be hard to guage how these guys will perform. However when you can recruit airline pilots and corporate guys you then at least know that they should be of an decent standard and have flying experience that they can then pass onto the less experienced pilots.

Pass-A-Frozo
14th Feb 2004, 16:21
Well I wouldn't exclude *ALL* civvie trained pilots with 200 hours. I'm sure their would be a few good ones as well.

P-A-F