PDA

View Full Version : Any RECENT CTC ATP Scheme Phase 2 Feedback??

DanBaxter
7th Jan 2004, 15:47
Hi everyone,

I've searched for all the information I can find on this topic, but I couldn't find anything up-to-date or recent. Has anybody been to the Phase 2 selection day within the last couple of months? One thing I'd like to know in particular is whether the test papers are multiple-choice, or are they ones where you have to come up with your own answers? Also, when they say "Aviation Knowledge" are they talking about ATPL theory stuff, or actual practical flying knowledge (like practical questions that would have been covered in the CPL and/or IR phases of flight training)?

Lastly, if there's anyone who has got through Phase 1 (application form) and is awaiting a date for the next phase, drop me a PM!

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

bigdunc
7th Jan 2004, 16:46
Hey Daniel.

I got through phase 1 including the 4 essay type questions in November. Im at uni though, so have exams in a few weeks.
Haven't heard anything from them, I guess they'll give me a date for stage 2 after the exam period finishes in mid feb.

How about you? Do you have any other commitments or are you available now? Im so excited by this ctc stuff, almost wishing away my final months at uni!

Later...

:)
look out Arsenal, Duncan's gonna get ya!!

DanBaxter
7th Jan 2004, 16:50
Hello Duncan,

I was told that the selection process is going fairly slow at the moment, and that they'd inform me when they have a Phase 2 day coming up. They're estimating Feb/March. Whilst I'm free now, seeing as there could be a long wait between stages, I am going to have to get a stop-gap job of some sort in the meantime.

Daniel

clearfortheoption
7th Jan 2004, 18:54
Dan,

I am also waiting for a date to attend Phase 2....I sent my application in late november....let's hope they give us a dete soon....

good luck!

jmc1980
7th Jan 2004, 19:39
Hi everyone

I'm am also waiting for a phase 2 date. I got word from ctc in late november that I was accepted to phase 2 but that I'll have to wait until december or january. It seems from what you say that it's gonna be a bit longer!

I guess that will give us more time to prepare for the selection. From what I've heard selection consists of a brief presentation, then group discussion on a 'controversial' topic and finally a technical and numerical paper (all aviation based though). There is word file explaining in more detail but it's way out of date. It does give some sample questions though. Anyway I guess you'll have it too. If not drop me a PM.

Please let me know as soon as you guys have a date.

Cheers! :ok:

bigdunc
7th Jan 2004, 19:44
JMC1980...

is there any chance you could send me a copy of that word file?
would be much appreciated...

BigDunc

(im guessing from your name that your prefered ctc airline is Thomas Cook and not easyJet!!)

Superfly
7th Jan 2004, 20:24
Hi Guys,

Good to see I'm not alone in that boat !I called CTC on the 30th of Decembre and was told that it would be January or February.......... January session is around the 13th. Looks like there are some delays ahead. The CTC guys told me that selections were fairly slow at this time. Hope it's going to pick-up sometime soon. SF

jimbols6
7th Jan 2004, 21:28
Hey everyone

Ive also passed the first stage of the selection and im waiting for a date for stage 2. I said that i would not be available for training until july cos im in my last year at uni. So i guess ill have stage 2 around feb or march time.
A few of you say that things are a bit slow at CTC at the mo does anybody know why that is?

Cheers

nonickname
8th Jan 2004, 04:43
Hi guys,

I am also waiting for phase 2. Does anyone know how much people are attending the different phases of selection. I got no clue at all what my chances are to make it through the selections. Let's hope we can go to phase 2 in February.

Hampster
8th Jan 2004, 15:50
I attended phase 2 recently and this is what I can remember:

Day starts with tea and coffee around 8:30am

9am Introduction by CTC staff about the scheme to all candidates (around 10 on my day). Each candidate is then required to introduce themselves giving details of their aviation background etc

Candidates are then split into 2 groups

Group A will go into one room to complete written tests
Group B will go into another room and complete group discussions

Group disussions are general topics i.e. was the war in Iraq justified etc. On my day I think we had 4 different topics to discuss.

There were two papers for the written tests. One was Maths (time allowed 15 mins) and the other was a mixture of Maths, Performance, Aerad plates (time allowed 60 mins I think).

Groups then swap round . Everything is usually completed by midday.

Hope this helps.

AH64 APACHE
8th Jan 2004, 16:27
Think some of you might be confusing the CTC ATP scheme with the CTC - MAclpine sponsorship. I would differentiate in your posts as they are different schemes and different procedures.

jmc1980
8th Jan 2004, 19:08
Hi

Bigdunc check your PM's

Hampster thanks for the feedback. Could you just give us more details about the math questions and the technical questions. Are they aviation based or are they just the type of questions you can encounter in aptitude testing. If you can remember any it would be of a great help to us all. Did you find the questions difficult? And how about the overall atmosphere? was it pleasant, tense how were the assessors?

Thanks for your help. Hope you make it to phase 3.

Hampster
8th Jan 2004, 20:59
jmc1980

As far as the questions papers are concerned, you will not come across anything you haven't already covered during your ATPL exams. I am fairly average at maths but didn't find any of the questions particularly hard. The advice we were given which was the same as the ATPL's was RTFQ.

On the day the atmosphere was fairly relaxed. Obviously everyone is a little nervous. What you have to remember is that your not exactly against all the other guys/gals in the room. If all of you make the grade then all of you will go through to phase 3.

The assessors were very nice people. Very professional and certainly made me feel that they were encouraging everyone to do their best and be successful.

On my previous post and this one I purposefully have not put more detail on the questions as I think it is unfair on other potential candidates who do not get the chance to read this site but also it is unfair on CTC themselves.

The best bit of advice I can give is to just be yourself on the day.

I unfortunately didn't get through to phase 3, but it was certainly a worthwhile experience.

Best of luck to all of you. If you are good enough to get in it is a brilliant opportunity to get a job in an industry that we all know is currently very difficult to break into.

jmc1980
9th Jan 2004, 00:03
Hampster,

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm sure everyone certainly appreciates that.

I absolutely understand your position about not giving out any questions. It's your call anyway, and your advice will certainly be very useful since I guess most of us had no clue of what to expect.

Terribly sorry to hear you didn't make to phase 3. Have you any idea how many in your group made it? Selection is really tough nowadays and I know what it's like to fail. A few years ago I applied for the Air France cadets and was turned down at one of the last stages. Unfortunately for me I am barred from applying to any selection with Air France until I've completed 1000hrs. I live in France you see, and AF is the only company hiring at the moment over here. The job market is absolutely flooded with pilots like me but also with much more experienced ones since recently a couple of major French airlines went bust thanks to AF's dominant and unfair (it's partly state owned) position over the market. Anyway let's hoope the job market will improve since I really don't know what my chances are with CTC.

well anyway that turned out to be a bit longer than I expected. Sorry about that but it's just that things can be pretty frustrating at times.

Best of luck in your job hunt.

Superfly
15th Jan 2004, 16:44
Has anyone heard anything from CTC yet ? I was told few weeks ago that there would be a phase 2 selection day on the 13th of January. Has anyone attended it ? SF

DanBaxter
24th Jan 2004, 17:44
Anyone??

Any News from Jan 13th Selection Stage 2?

Cheers
Daniel

JT8
24th Jan 2004, 18:54
Passed phase 2 on the 13th, have phase 3 on the 27th.

Phase 2 was as described by Hampster, and overall fairly relaxed. They need a lot of people and there seems to be a lot of demand throughout the year.

JT8

jmc1980
27th Jan 2004, 03:13
Still waiting for a phase 2 date!

Any one else in the same situation? (I was accepted to phase 2 in late Nov)

It seems to take ages! what are they waiting for?

Do they phone you once it's finally your turn or do they send a letter? (Just to know if I should avoid spending too much time online)

cheers!

Arrestahook
27th Jan 2004, 21:13
jmc 1980 give them a call and say 'I don't want to pester etc etc but, I was accepted in Dec, when can I expect to be called forward'. Be nice about it, this is what I did and was sitting phase 2 a week later - push for what you want.

dorosenco
31st Jan 2004, 08:57
Jmc1980,

same situation, applied late November and got my letter on Dec 5th. I sent an e-mail to Jo Ward last monday and haven't heard from him since. Very polite and motivated letter/e-mail ...

I know that JT8 applied end of September and got the letter the same date (Dec 5th) and interview January 13th. That means 3-4 months wait.

did you talk to Jo ?

Hampster
31st Jan 2004, 16:41
I sent an e-mail to Jo Ward last monday and haven't heard from him since.

dorosenco,

Jo Ward happens to be female. Hope you're email wasn't made out to a Mr !

:eek:

dorosenco
4th Feb 2004, 00:37
Jmc1980,

Have you heard from CTC yet ? Just got my e-letter, Feb 12th for Phase 2 and Feb 27th if Phase 3 ...
There are 14 peoples invited, their names is on the letter but I don't know any of the PPrune pseudonyms and I won't disclose them ...

good luck for next week for those who will be there ...

jmc1980
4th Feb 2004, 01:23
Dorosenco, check your pm's

osito
10th Feb 2004, 01:08
Hi everybody!
I´ve just received the confirmation letter for phase 2. They told me to expect an interview between March and April.

DanBaxter
18th Feb 2004, 00:14
For anyone who is interested....

Having enjoyed their best 4 months in their history, CTC still have an empty pool, with more demand than supply....and it is predicted to stay like this for the next few months at least.

So on to phase 3 I go!

Cheers,
Daniel