PDA

View Full Version : The Ghan-Staff travel ?

SnapOff
7th Jan 2004, 03:35
Hi,
I'm visiting Oz in March and hoping to take a ride on the Ghan train from Alice to Adelaide. Seems a bit on the expensive side for an overnight trip(A$ 850 Gold class), is there any agencies down there that can offer an interline discount or staff travel discount for airline staff, any info much appreciated.

Cheers SnapOff

Planned Root
7th Jan 2004, 18:49
Snappy,

I had a look at the current World Interline Tours booklet and website with nothing regarding your inquiry.

I would email The Ghan and just ask them direct whether they are a part of any such deal. The web address is http://www.theghan.com.au

Good luck

The Voice
8th Jan 2004, 01:18
Snap Off ..

March isn't exactly tourist season in that part of the world, although the weather should be moderating by then.

Ask if they offer standby rates for all classes .. I think that may be significantly more cost productive .. (I recall something like that being offered a while ago)

on 17th January the new bit of the "Ghan" arrives in Darwin .. and if you think $850 is rich travelling south, you should see what people are paying for that bit northwards!!

I hope that you are seeing some of Oz north of the 'rock' ..

SnapOff
11th Jan 2004, 02:14
Thanks for the help chaps, looks like I'll have to grin and bear it and give the plastic a battering!!!

speedbird23
12th Jan 2004, 10:46
Been there, done it, worth it. Even if it was full of over 60`s.

Pharcarnell
12th Jan 2004, 11:05
The extended version of the Ghan dosen't get here till early Feb. It's the first freight train on 17th Jan and the p*ssups are starting then, a mate's gotta haul the chief monster and mates to Alice to chase it all the way to the Top for the arrival bash Saturday.
Nice to be some pollies aint it.

tinpis
12th Jan 2004, 11:11
:}

Wonder where the bludgers and hooray henries are gonna hold the knees up since the $750,000 marquee they was erecting got destroyed by a storm?

Is Steve Irwin got an invite? We got some nice bloody big crocs in the harbour.

The Voice
13th Jan 2004, 04:25
freight or pax .. it still is a bit of history being created ..

and typical for Clarebare and the mighty band of misfits claiming the glory .. probably the most significant thing that Dennis the Menace did for us all ...

and isn't truly amazing .. it is going to be 'moonied' in to town as well ..

as for Irwin .. less said the better I think

tinpis
13th Jan 2004, 06:37
Freight hmmmmm... methinks this is going to be the biggest white elephant ever inflicted on taxpayers.
The cost of landing a shipping container in Darwin from Singapore is almost twice that of landing it at any southern port.
Do the sums on forwarding it by rail south. Same the other way around.