PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on returning to flying

McCroskey
7th Jan 2004, 03:20
Hello everybody,

To cut a long story short about 6 years ago I finished one of those ab initio courses and got a nice shiny CPL/frozen ATPL however, due to the pilot market and my finances going due south I have never flown since.

I have now managed to scrape enough money together to get back in the sky, I would initially be looking at just getting to PPL standard but would eventually like to become a flight instructor.

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed any light on what I have to do to get back flying, I seem to remember that if you have'nt flown in 5 years you have to do extra to get started again, also does anyone know how much it will roughly cost.

Many thanks, hope someone can help.

pa28biggles
7th Jan 2004, 21:45
McCroskey,
Have a look on the CAA's web-site on LASORs, it should tell you what you need to do to re-validate your ratings. Click on the link below.
It's here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292)

strafer
8th Jan 2004, 17:22
McCroskey,

Re your PPL - I might be talking bollocks here, but my understanding is that as you'll have a CAA PPL, it's valid for life. (Unlike us JAA boys & girls who only get 5 years). It will only be your rating (presumably SEP) that will have expired. That being so, all you need is a valid medical and a certificate of re-validation. If you got to CPL standard, I can't see you taking too long to get that.

Good luck & welcome back!

eyuppp
28th May 2004, 14:36
I too have returned to the sky after a four year lapse. Fortunately I have a CAA PPL also (even if it is in a crappy brown wallet).

Welcome back and good luck with the revalidation