PDA

View Full Version : FAA conversion

tomcat21
7th Jan 2004, 03:07
Hi there, what do I need to do to get a Malaysian or Singapore validation on my US FAA ATP? I just finished a two month contract flying a Hawker 800XP out of WMSA and would like to go back. The Hawker was N registered. Will my chances of gettting a job with say Air Asia be better if I get this validation? What about thailaind? Thanks.

Taikonaut
9th Jan 2004, 02:47
You can't.

A validation is not a license. It's merely a piece of paper saying that you can fly aircraft which is registered in the country that the validation was issued based on your original license (FAA).

This can go really deep. Essentially, no, you cannot move around your types.

IF, you have actual licenses issued from Singapore and Malaysia then they are good enough (ICAO states) and no need to transfer them over to the FAA.

:\

tomcat21
9th Jan 2004, 03:32
I have US FAA ATP with the type ratings, not Singapore or Malaysian. I am doing a Candian conversion as well as my JAA this year. I wanted to see what I would need to do to have a Malaysian or a Singapore license. Would a validation make me more hirable from an airline there?

Taikonaut
9th Jan 2004, 09:02
Validation has to be requested by the sponsoring airline (your employer, sorta like business visa). You can't really get one yourself.

To get an actual license, you would need to go through the whole gauntlet of paper work and bureaucratic bs that comes along with it not counting the conversion written tests and check rides... And to get the type, you would have to go and do bounces on the aircraft that you are rated on. Looks great but costly. That's why most airlines will get you a validation instead of the actual license.

Japanese carriers (JAL/ ANA etc) will go through the trouble to get you the whole license. It's a long and drawn out process and not very cost efficient (they can afford it). Again, each country makes up its own rules and regs. Check around in Singapore and Malaysia, their regs might be different.:}