PDA

View Full Version : Mexican's fleet

m_v_s_86
7th Jan 2004, 01:18
Mexicana has the youngest fleet of the world today (it has 10 Fokker 100, 25 Airbus A-320, 15 Airbus A-319, 6 Boeing B-757-200, and 1 Boeing B-767-300ER) In mid 2004 Mexicana will retire its Fokker 100 fleet and will have 10 brand new Airbus A-318, and it is also planning to bring a couple more Boeing B-767-300ER for flights to Milan and Frankfurt via Cancún.
What do you think about that guys?????Boeing B-767-300ER

Panama Jack
7th Jan 2004, 03:08
Personally, as a Gold-level "Frecuenta" member, I am very concerned and interested to know what Mexicana's code-sharing plans will be with it's departure from the Star Alliance network.

Personally, I believe that the major Mexican carriers, namely Mexicana and AeroMexico have a timely opportunity to re-establish themselves as viable international alternatives between Latin America and Canada/Europe if only they make their schedules, route structures and fares competative to those offered by the hub and spoke carriers from the US.

As is evident from the discussion here on PPRUNE, many travellers are looking to avoid the US entirely if they can. I have tried to use cities like Mexico City or Caracas as a transit points for travel between Nicaragua and Europe, rather than Miami or Houston, but it simply is not viable. The connection times would mean at least one overnight in MMMX, whereas this is not the case in KIAH or KMIA, and the fares are typically $200 higher for MMMX to MNMG than KIAH to MNMG. Nevermind that neither Mexicana or AeroMexico serve MNMG. If they can make this happen, they will win my loyalty.

Squawk7777
7th Jan 2004, 04:14
Mexicana will concentrate more on charter flights in conjunction with VTP. It will be interesting to see how Mexicana will cope after March 31st. Mexicana and Aeromexico are both considered expensive by Mexican standards. "No Frills" airlines like Aerolineas Aztecas are without a doubt a serious competition (they advertise by having the most modern fleet). The European routes will be purely charter as far as I have been told. The 767 is currently flying LAX-MEX-EZE route (no surprise it is named Buenos Aires )

We'll see if this concept works. Panama Jack, I seriously doubt that you'll find a good European connection within Latin America. It might be even worse after MXA leaves the star alliance.

The recent data on atwonline.com shows that MXA is still in a very modest recovery phase. We'll see if the youngest fleet can get more passengers.

7 7 7 7

Panama Jack
7th Jan 2004, 04:45
Squak 7777,

I agree with your sentiment completely about the lack of a good European connection from the Central America. Unfortunately, the historical reliance has been on connecting through US airports like Miami and, this was OK in the pre-9/11 days when things were easier (maybe slightly friendlier too) and, truth be said, potentially fun (a couple of days stop-over in Miami). Unfortunately, the environment has changed, but it seems that the way of doing business and our habits have not. For us in Latin America, I think it is perhaps because we have not even been willing to consider a better way of doing things, given the new business environment.

Nevertheless, I see changes slowly coming. Air Canada, for example, is acting more as an airline that offers global connections, rather than just an airline offering flights between Canada and many international locations. In so doing, it has been successful in poaching passengers from major US airlines.

At the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth, it seems to me that many of the airlines in the region still behave like Flag carriers, where it provided links between the home country and other countries, while the US and some major Euro carriers in their business savy, have succesfully developed schedules to make them excellent airlines for global travelers-- where the carrier's home country is not actually the passenger's destination and provides well planned and convenient connections.

Squawk7777
9th Jan 2004, 12:17
PJ,

what about Iberia? That might be your gateway to Europe....

7 7 7 7

Panama Jack
9th Jan 2004, 12:51
Agreed 7777, but it is through Iberia's hub in Miami.

Well, I'm heading out on vacation-- see you fellows in a few weeks. ;)