PDA

View Full Version : When is to HOT to HOT!

bush mechanics
6th Jan 2004, 20:25
On a flight the other day,at one of my stops the outside temp was 49 at 10:30 am,and probaly got hotter on the last 4 stops.

At 6500 the temp was 28.Down low,Dam HOT!! had to keep the vents closed to stop being blow torched.soo over a 7 hour day in these conditions it realy stuffs you.I dont think this is real safe!!!

Some trades stop work when temps get extremely hot or the air con packs it in on a front end loader.For safety reasons.Why should it be different for us.
Ive lived in the same area for alot of years and I still cant get used to the heat somedays,let alone the guys and girls from down south.
Just wondering if there is anything in the rules that covers this.
Happy Days

compressor stall
6th Jan 2004, 20:32
I've worked swinging a sledgehammer in 47C at Tanami. No workcover there suggesting anyone should stop working, just drink and drink and drink, and those piss colour charts above the urinals (don't know what girls are meant to do).

Drink more and drink more and fly high. And take an empty Powerade bottle if the segment is too long.

CS

(and don't forget the lunch box for the gastro :oh: :cool: :ugh: )

bush mechanics
6th Jan 2004, 21:27
Compressor,
Just the typical answer I was looking for. Im not having a winge its just a topic that came up for disscussion the other day!
How can I go higher when I have sectors ranging from 6 min to 38?If I could go higher I would.And as for water I might try that next week!!!!By the way did you drive back from Tanami in your car with the windows up and the a/c off just the hot wind blowing thru the vents!!!?No you probaly jumped on the kingair @ flight levels!!!!!!
PS my family have been in the building game for the last 25 years,soo I done my time on a sledgy!!note most builders here start early and knock of around 1
happy days

404 Titan
6th Jan 2004, 22:43
bush mechanics

I always found when I was flying around Cape York, the Gulf and PNG if I didn’t take at least two litres of water, I would have a splitting headache by the end of the day. If I were operating low level on very short sectors (one was two minutes), I would leave the vents open as far as they would go to get as much ventilation as possible. By doing these very simple things it made my day that much easier on the old body and brain.

compressor stall
6th Jan 2004, 23:45
Hey, steady on bloke! The KingAir and flight levels are still a new thing for me!

Done many hours in the NT, occasionally getting as far down to you a couple of times, but mainly to HOO. I have been heard to remark that if I ever find out which engineer was responsible for removing the wingroot ram air vents from the C210 I will personally strangle them!

The old landy had 2x80 aircon. 2 windows and 80kmh. It had the good foot vents, but during the day, the air coming off the bitumen was too hot!

Yep, the sledgy was 6am-6pm. Our break from it was the rattle gun though. :ugh:

CS

PS - I put the Tanami reference in there showing that mines with some of the strictest OH&S standards around don't let you stop working cos it's hot. They jsut tell you to drink more.

I remember arriving at TMN after a 7 hour flight and doing the piss test (drugs) to get let on site. Drug test woman looks at the colour of it and tells me that I am dehydrated :hmm: No **** sherlock.

Islander Jock
7th Jan 2004, 10:17
Working in the mining, oil and gas safety side of things, I recall we once had some brochures on some cool vests (not referring to their appearance). These things were a relatively light weight and designed to be cooled down in a fridge then worn to help slow the rising of body core temparature. They were specifically designed for situations that Stallie is talking about for workers who did not have the comfort of airconditioned plant cabins.

Not sure how long they keep their cooling capabilities before the ambient air warms them up or whether they would be too restrictive in the LH seat.

maxgrad
7th Jan 2004, 21:29
hey bushy!!!
Keep window open
stick arm partly out of the window
so the air rushes in to sleeve
lean forward so air can circulate through shirt!

I know it may be damn hot but it may be just enough

If that doesn't work, just poor water over your head (serious!) may be enough to cool just for a moment
luck

:D :D

Near Miss
8th Jan 2004, 18:30
I know in some companies if the cabin gets above 36c the F/A walk! So summer with the APU u/s, a full load of pax, it doesn't take too long. :(

Also does the aircraft you fly have P-charts for temps as high as 49c? If not then really the company shouldn't be making you fly in such conditions. But I know, it's GA and I understand how difficult it can be telling you boss that you can't go because of this or that.

Hope it starts to cool down for you soon. Drink lots of water otherwise you will fry your brain.

Highbypasss
8th Jan 2004, 19:43
I've typed about 10 replies to this topic and erassed them all. All I can come up with is this...........I HATE G.A.!!!! I just hate G.A. Tight wadded, shonky opperators........death traps posing as aircraft.......smart alec LAME's, (you know, the ones that give you that moronic look on their face when you come to them with a problem, and even worse IF you DARE to write it in the M.R.!!!!!!!). There's always someone ready and waiting in the wings to take your place. It's like a prison. However, all this only makes me work harder to get out sooner....

.................................................H.:mad: .........:cool:

Northern Chique
9th Jan 2004, 06:44
Hopped in an aircraft a few times to see anywhere from 50-60 degrees tarmac temperature registering on the OAT gauge.... on slightly cooler days I was glad for the curvature in the earth and a lovely long downhill runway :p :}

Turbulent Eddy
9th Jan 2004, 09:54
Hey Stallie,
You weren't swinging that sledgehammer AT a certain :mad: aircraft were you?:D I know it had crossed my mind frequently....:{

I'm gone!
9th Jan 2004, 18:33
Gday all,

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK and then DRINK some more!

Maxgrad's technique used to work well I recall also, oh to be able to stick my arm out the fricken bolted in sealed window now!!

Hottest I have seen/flown was 48'c at Eromanga at 0830 then down to Moomba where it was 52'c at 1100!

In the boonies in Sth Oz I have had the Mag/Start switches in the Shrike gets soo hot I could not hang onto them long enough to crank it for a start, had to use my dirty old hat in my hand to hold the switch in the "Start" position long enough for a start.

Ahh, the good old days:ok:

Cheers,
I'm gone!

compressor stall
11th Jan 2004, 08:52
I'm Gone Yep, know the drill with the starter switches! Bloody hurts too! Also the oil temps in the green before you start the engine!

Turbulent Eddy Hey! long time, no hear! You still nut strangling? Which of the many aircraft are you referring to? Not KRY baby? Axe? Never! Check your PM's!

Towering Q
12th Jan 2004, 11:46
CS...at Telfer (also known for it's ugly max temps) an aircon tube gets shoved into the discharge end of the mill.

Not often you see reliners fighting each other to work inside the mill.

I might start drinking more water. Always thought those headaches were caused by stress.:ooh:

Ethel the Aardvark
12th Jan 2004, 21:19
Anyone thought about moving and working in Antartica, But I guess the next post would be " when is too cold too cold"?

compressor stall
13th Jan 2004, 10:47
I have always wondered, Ethel, if you can tell me the optimum temperature for Quantity Surveying. :p

Ethel the Aardvark
13th Jan 2004, 14:45
If it does get to hot then I act like a Gannet and wet my nest!!!

bush mechanics
13th Jan 2004, 20:12
Thanks all for your replys.Firstly next time I will try to ask my question a little more clearer.
Maybe I should of said"Are there any OH&S or Regs that govern flying in extreme temp conditions".
Please dont answer as I have my answers.
I do know how to keep my self Hydrated,I know the trick with the window and I dont have a prob with flying in the heat.I actually enjoy my job and my mid morning swim at NCR.
We used to depart around 9.30am and would fly thru the worst part of the day.I changed the departure time to 6am so now we are nearly home when the heat gets going,and without any grief from the company Not all GA company are shonks,some just dont listen tp Pillets
Happydays

compressor stall
14th Jan 2004, 07:53
Thanks Ethel. Tried to find out about the Gannet in my copy of Olsen's, but it's not in there. :confused: :confused:

Aerodynamisist
18th Jan 2004, 19:36
Bush Mechanics I sympathise with your predicament, when its to cold you can throw on a beenie and some thermals, but you cant hide from the heat.

There is a product you can get from chemist called a "cool aid" which is basically a neck tie made of HD foam rubber which you soak in water helps to keep your core temp down.

secondly on one occasion while out surveying in 40+ heat I sercombed to heat stroke, despite having drunk lots of water I just fainted in the middle of a shot and woke up in the truck on the way to hospital. I'm told this is because of a lack of electrolytes and salts so put a little salt in your water (also stops cramps) and have a sports drink or a berocca every now and then, I'd hate to think what would happen if you lost consciousness in the air.

To answer your question there is a work cover reg that relates to work in hot temps I don't have the info handy but I rember it was a sliding scale based on rest periods, Ie abve 30 deg 1/2 hour rest every 2 hours and so on. If you call work cover they will give you the information, it would make an interesting study for fligh safety.

GoNorth
19th Jan 2004, 10:26
out of curiosity....what do your P charts go up to? What is the max temp on the scale? and can you fly in temps above this scale? ;)

bush mechanics
22nd Jan 2004, 19:05
Aero!!
Thanks.Yeah Ive used one of those collar things,mainly when riding my dirtbike in summer.As for beannies in winter,dont need them we just pull in at Dalhousie thermal pools for a lovely warm bath.If you get lucky there could be some backpackers there.

helldog
23rd Jan 2004, 17:21
Hey Bushy. Your 6 min sector...is that Ngukurr to Roper Bar? That brings back some bad memories. I checked out the stats on Roper Bar on the Bureau of Met(check spelling) and it seemed like the it had the most days over 30C of any other place I looked at in the NT. But then again the "observers" are well......lets say they may not be so reliable. Over here in Africa I am operating from airfeilds of at least 4500ft AMSL everyday so it is a bit cooler. However gas seems to be a problem. Anybody get that problem at altitude?

ozpilot
23rd Jan 2004, 18:28
Towering Q -

You stressed! Get real. The only time you get stressed is when you are back in the aircon office doing your paperwork and the boss walks in. :p

bush mechanics
24th Jan 2004, 07:46
Helldog,sorry mate wrong area.Im talking southern NT.
Cheers and happy days

compressor stall
24th Jan 2004, 10:17
6 mins across the river to Roper Bar? What took you so long????

OZBUSDRIVER
24th Jan 2004, 13:42
Bush Mechanic local unions in ML seem to have 34C as the dinger for anyone working in the open. Rather liberal in interpretation as to when it hits 34C too. My seismic days had us working in anything upto 50C. Who would want to be a juggie. Survey crew for me, soon as the heat haze got down to 600m it was back to the caravan and the AC to do the comps till it cooled down again.

Mark

helldog
24th Jan 2004, 18:59
Comressor Stall, Yeah it was only a 210. Maybe I was doing an aerobatics display that day on the way there:eek: At least if it was real hot the woman at the store would butter you up with a free drink just before getting you to do 13 favours for her. Like drop a birthday cake for D Daniels. I think it was the Chief that had that job one day and he put a 20kg box on top of the cake.....it didnt make it.