PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Courses

TCQ
6th Jan 2004, 18:18
Well, after one heck of a long year, is it time to bring this up again?

I have heard the rumours, Jan/Feb courses. Two courses in Feb for cadets. Classic courses etc.

I do know that some have been called for security and reference checks. This has to be good news.

Is the wait over???

Is there any firm news out there?

I don't know of anyone who has gotten a call.

Any news is surely appreciated.

Best of luck to all, it's a hard wait isn't it!!!

TCQ

Tempo
6th Jan 2004, 18:32
Rumors are flying around the country at the moment. I too have heard of Jan/Feb courses.

Best of luck to all those in the process-hopefully the wait will be over soon.

TCQ-check your messages.

Ratter
7th Jan 2004, 04:44
Hi all

I know of someone that has received the call for security checks and a couple of days later was reference checked. It would seem that movement is beginning in the hold file.

Is anyone in the know regarding when stage 2 will begin again as i was due to test in Nov 03 but due SARS delayed to "early to mid 2004"

Would love to hear from someone in the know.

Safe flying

Ratter

*Lancer*
7th Jan 2004, 09:51
Unless the cadets have had their 'industry experience' cancelled, there won't be any courses for them for a while...

benkel23
7th Jan 2004, 10:41
The Jan/Feb courses are mixed Cadet (those from 2002 who finished in April 2003 - so not the ones who have industry experience as part of the course) and DE. Aircraft has not been decided as yet. Start date is Jan 14.

Tempo
7th Jan 2004, 11:20
So does anyone know of anybody getting a call for this Jan 14th Start Date?????????

OBNO
7th Jan 2004, 11:47
Benkel23 - The Course starts Jan 14 ( one week away!) and they don't know what aircraft type? How can they not know that.

IORRA
7th Jan 2004, 12:02
OBNO - I'm sure the company knows what type they'll be on, but (as I understand to be the standard procedure) the applicants won't be advised until Day 1. The various flying/recruitment plans are also known to change on a day-to-day basis, so anything could happen between now and then with regard to aircraft allocation. They know they need the people I guess, - it's how to most efficiently distribute them that's probably less certain.

(Edited to clarify)

Sqwark2000
7th Jan 2004, 14:35
Surely if the course started in 1 week, then the candidates would have been notified, they would have to give notice (if they were working), then other people would know...... wouldn't they?

S2K

404 Titan
7th Jan 2004, 18:03
I mate of mine was given three (yes 3 days notice) for a course four years ago. He had to move from Cairns to Sydney, give notice to his employer, who was understandably annoyed at the very short notice and find accommodation in Sydney. My mate tried to defer the course by a couple of weeks to do the right thing by his employer and also so he could get his s**t together. Qantas’s response was, take it or leave it. We have plenty of other people waiting on the hold file. I wonder if the roles were reversed how they would like it if they were given 3 days notice by one of there senior captains? :mad:

*Lancer*
8th Jan 2004, 05:04
There have been some that got notice the AFTERNOON BEFORE their start :ooh:

I've heard of some having their aircraft change on the first day... One course started without a course at all - they sat around for 2 weeks waiting to actually commence training!

I imagine they can't notify the 'last' few people on the list until the numbers are finalised, which seems fair enough - getting less than a weeks notice is a much better prospect than getting 3 weeks notice and a nasty phone call 2 days before! :eek:

Lancer

404 Titan
8th Jan 2004, 11:26
*Lancer*

My point is why can’t Qantas get there act together when other airlines can? The mob I work for always try and give at least two weeks notice of a start date but usually it is four. I had two months. Even when SARS hit early last year those that had been given start dates had their courses deferred indefinitely on full pay. I just find that companies that can’t give you at least two weeks notice should have a hard look at themselves. There are obviously some people that can’t do their job properly. They need to realize the world doesn’t revolve around them. This has a distinct smell of a public service mentality, even though they are now a publicly listed company.

ExcessData
8th Jan 2004, 16:32

The mob I work for always try and give at least two weeks notice of a start date but usually it is four

and Qantas are absolutely no different. I can name dozens of direct entry pilots taken on in the past few years given in excess of 3-4 weeks' notice. I know for a fact that this is always their aim.

The problem comes with 'interesting' courses like the ones rumoured to be starting soon. In this case, these are the first courses following a period of suspended recruitment - they need virtually board-level approval to run, and in a company rebounding quickly from SARS etc, a fair bit of careful planning in order best fulfil the flying plan of the day (which does apparently change very regularly indeed (A330s etc)).

You'd have to ask the applicants themselves when they received their start dates, and whether it was satisfactory, but quite frankly if it were me getting a start at a major airline with hundreds of people on its hold file, I'd be quite content with 24 hours' notice if that was the best they could do...

Good luck to those out there on the hold file :ok:

Tuner 2
8th Jan 2004, 16:46
Received over 3 weeks notice for the Jan 14 course. Plenty of time to plan and tie-up any loose ends. The people at recruitment do a damn good job :ok:

Poto
8th Jan 2004, 19:52
So a course for Jan 14 is a go, nice!:D

Anyone know 'todays' plans for other courses, ie; Frequency, numbers on course? One a month? More? Full sittings? or a dribble?

Also whilst on topic anybody got the call to go through the process. I'd imagine the initial apps pile is massive. Plenty of time over the last twelve months to get the minimums (flying and academic) :\

404 Titan
8th Jan 2004, 20:12
ExcessData
but quite frankly if it were me getting a start at a major airline with hundreds of people on its hold file, I'd be quite content with 24 hours' notice if that was the best they could do...
So you would be prepared to “screw” your previous employer just because a major wanted you yesterday? What happened to your moral if not contractual obligations to your previous employer? Just as well I’m not on the interview board for Qantas because with an attitude like that you wouldn’t get past go. That’s the big problem with aviation these days. Too many people willing to stab each other in the back for the next big gig. Just remember if you burn too many bridges in this business it will one day come back to bight you on the back side. :yuk:

ExcessData
9th Jan 2004, 07:26

You've gotten the wrong end of the stick there (possibly my fault). I was talking about 'sufficient notice' with regard to sorting out personal affairs, moving etc (important at the time, but trivial when you're talking a 30-40 year career), not 'sufficient notice' to an employer which, I agree with you, is ideally given well in advance. Apologies if I gave you the wrong impression there. My line of thought was that if I had the choice of a (dream) job in 2 days (and knew that that was the best the airline could do), or no job, then you'd be mad not to at least sit down with your employer and try to work something out.

I don't work for Qantas, and I'll leave your other assertions untouched. I hope this clarifies my positions somewhat, and do apologise if my initial post was somewhat vague - the point I was trying to get at was that I do think Qantas make an effort to contact applicants sooner rather than later, whenever that's possible...

:ouch: :ok:

404 Titan
9th Jan 2004, 17:34
ExcessData

Apology accepted. I apologize as well for being heavy handed in my response to your post. The point I was trying to make was that if Qantas or any employer for that matter expects you to give them two weeks or one moths notice they should have the common decency to expect you to be able to at least give the same to your current employer. The people in Qantas’s recruitment department need to realize the world doesn’t revolve around them and that you may have legal obligations to your current employer. To tell my mate that he won’t be offered a position again if he doesn’t accept the position offered because of the short notice is totally unacceptable.

OBNO
14th Jan 2004, 14:25
It's Jan 14, so did a Qantas Course start today? if so what aircraft type, how many on course etc...?

payload777
15th Jan 2004, 09:42
Yes it did!! A course also set for Feb.

bdcer
15th Jan 2004, 16:20
1. Does anyone know if a direct entry applicant can be panelled for a course if their security check hasn't been completed (apparently the new sec checks are pretty slow seeing that several govt agencies have to have a look at your history, about 3-4wks (?) to clear) ?
2. Does anyone know if, when selecting applicants for a course, do they take in a larger list of names than available slots (eg. take 15 names in for 12 slots in order to be more selective) ?
3. Lastly does anyone know how many slots are planned for the Feb & Mar cses (if there is a Mar cse planned).

Thanks in advance to anyone kind/knowledgeable enough to answer any of these questions.

Cheers

Keg
15th Jan 2004, 21:26
bdcer, I'll take 'em in order.

1. I don't know but expect the security check to take considerably longer than four weeks. Mine was seven.
2. No idea.
3. Last I heard the number was 12 for a combination of the 744 and 747. No course planned for March (that has been announced or that I've heard anyway!). My sources aren't as good as they used to be. It's the 'circles' that I'm not moving in! ;)

bdcer
16th Jan 2004, 04:31
Keg,
Yet again many thanks for the intel (I had heard that Feb may have only had 7 or 8 & was hoping it would be a larger course!) I'd also heard that Feb wasn't going to have classic PUITs due to the fact that there weren't enough resources to train 2 courses.

Gods Kitchen
17th Jan 2004, 06:00
Guys and Girls,

Just a quick question to see if anyone has received a phone call from Qantas to complete a mouth x-ray, security check and medical update.

I know a guy who had one on Tuesday 13th.
Does that mean he'll get a start soon.
Hopefully he does. Good Bloke.

But where is my call? Hopefully soon.

Cheers

GoNorth
17th Jan 2004, 07:44
I reckon the sure sign is the reference checks. The guys I know who work for Q were given the call up within a week or two of the reference checks :ok:

Salt Spray
14th Feb 2004, 15:33
Feb course starts next week with about 7-8 places.

From a reliable source proposals have just gone to the board re further courses. And with all the BNE-LAX direct and new slots at LHR things appear to be looking up.

Guess it'll depend if they want to lease with pilots or train em up themselves. Fingers crossed for the later!:ok: