PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Camden

Planned Root
6th Jan 2004, 16:36
Just read this on the ABC News website:

PASSENGERS ESCAPE LIGHT PLANE CRASH

There has been a light plane crash at Camden airport, on Sydney's south-west outskirts.

The fire brigade says all the people on the plane have safely escaped.

The circumstances surrounding the crash are not yet known.

Anyone know anything about this one?

7gcbc
6th Jan 2004, 18:05
crap crap and more crap f:mad: bad luck, colours indicate its' RRW , a citabria explorer owned by curtis. They've not had the best luck over the last 6 months.

apparently radio stack fire ?? according to channel9, I can wait a long time to see what rubbish channel 9, 10 and 7 dish up......:yuk:

pilot did a good job , no injuries.

ugly
7th Jan 2004, 11:41
quoting the Daily Telegraph

"Only the skeleton of this plane survived when it was engulfed by flames after a fuel tank erupted in mid air..."

"The 28 year old pilot was forced to crash land the single engine two seater when the tank in the left wing burst into flames"

:rolleyes:

On Track
8th Jan 2004, 14:27
Well there was certainly not much left of it.

Does anyone know what actually happened?

Wright Stuff
11th Jan 2004, 04:17
Just after rotation the student pilot up front noticed smoke coming out of the dash (Citabria's don't have a radio stack per se) so the instructor (Curtis's chief pilot and an excellent airman) stood it on its wing and landed back at the aerodrome.

By the time the aircraft had all three wheels grounded the windscreen was melting and when they jetisoned the door the fire was visible. The aircraft was destroyed within a minute or so.

Aircraft was clean, efficient and well maintained. I've never looked behind the panel of a Citabria but I imagine the wiring can't be too dissimilar from the jungle I've seen behind 15 and c172's.

I wonder if the ATSB can deduce anything from the burnt out airframe- looks like a tough job to me.

Shame it happened to such a fine flying school....

Planned Root
11th Jan 2004, 18:37
Thanks Wright Stuff.

It makes a mockery of the stupid Daily Telegraph story.

On Track
14th Jan 2004, 11:24
Thanks for the info, Wright Stuff.

Hope there are better times ahead for Curtis Aviation - they're a good bunch of people.