PDA

View Full Version : PA's on the jets...

High Altitude
6th Jan 2004, 11:30
Been doing a bit of flying lately and have noticed how varied the PA's from the flight deck are...

Some sound confident and reassuring, others sound like they should just shut up.....

Whats the go? Do they train u for public speaking?

Prop's ????
6th Jan 2004, 12:20
No formal training received, just listen to you’re training Captain and try to copy him/her.

I must say I have heard things said over the PA that should be left at home. Overs talk about takeoff speed, OAT etc…

Most passengers want to know what time we will land and the general destination conditions. All the rest is great if you have some extra time to spare.

Remember, on some airlines the cabin crew must stop their service while a PA is being made. Try doing a five min. PA on a SYD – CBR sector I bet you some one will be coming up front to talk to you about the use of time.

:ok:

SydGirl
6th Jan 2004, 13:26
As an FA as well as the occassional pax, I like to hear expected weather en route, flying time, expected arrival time and expected weather at destination.

I really hate it when the speaker does not introduce themself, and just start straight into conversation. It's nice to put a name to the voice.

If you've got time, then throw in the little extras. For example recently I flew on a brand new aircraft that had only just gone into service that day. What a shame the techies didn't mention something about our brand new aircraft with x hours on it to the pax, who all made comments to me about how shiny and new everything looked. They would've loved to hear how they were flying on the newest aircraft in the fleet.

Having said that, waffling on like I'm doing now is not good either...
Just my thoughts.
SG
:}

pullock
6th Jan 2004, 13:59
Personally I HATE being woken up by un-necessary PA trafic. The yanks are shockers at it - they just LOVE the sound of their own voices:eek:

smile
6th Jan 2004, 14:47
As cabin crew I really enjoy when the flight deck say a little more than the usual "weather on arrival" type stuff. I find that the passengers actually listen if something a little different is coming over the PA. My favourite is a small spiel about the cost of the aircraft and fuel, and it's fun to watch the look on everyone's faces as they look out the windows when informed of the cost of the winglets.

Hudson
6th Jan 2004, 18:48
Some PA's from the pilots are amateur and embarrassing - usually a hurried gabble using aeronautical terminology that few passengers understand. This can be from both PF's and non-PF's.

One airline operator that I know of had a requirement that after any PA from the flight deck, the cabin attendant at the rear of the aircraft would contact the pilots and advise of the clarity or otherwise of the PA. This had the advantage of knowing if the pilot was using incorrect PA microphone technique with resultant inaudibility to the rear passengers, or exposing a defective PA system which distorted the actual PA. A couple of major airlines in Australia could do well to reinstate that excellent policy.

And is there really any need for both pilots and flight attendants to keep repeating that seat belts must be kept fastened for your "comfort" and safety? A tight seat belt is safe but certainly not comfortable - you can't have it both ways.

ITCZ
6th Jan 2004, 20:29
Funny thing that. Public speaking would be the last thing on any list of 'essential, desirable' qualities when selecting pilot employees.

Not banging a perfectly good aeroplane unnecessarily into terra firma is a little higher up the employer's priority list!

Remember a colleague remarking about the old PA thing though... nobody trains you for it...

You spend ages trying to get an interview for the jet job... study up on HTBJ.... get the slot.... spend 7 hrs a day for 4 weeks in ground school 'drinking water from a fire hydrant' as you learn about hydraulics, electrics, controls, performance (plus another 7 per day studying and practicing standard procedures in your hotel room)... spend another few weeks of your life in another hotel room near a simulator remembering attitudes, power settings, configurations, more standard calls, more limitations, recall items, CRM......

Finally you get to your first line training flight. Your training captain watches you like a hawk as you make your first departure, you plug in the autopilot, do your transition checks and he says.... "OK, my aeroplane, make your PA."

Fark, what do I say to the 80-200 people being served breakfast behind me?

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, my name is Mark, and its my first day......" :O

halas
6th Jan 2004, 22:38
Throw in a local air-law exam and local SOP's and not knowing where the fark you are or indeed going, and having no idea what the area controller is saying and decifering an ATIS recorded by someone with a heavy accent on speed with his underpants pulled over his head then the training guy says your PA, and you think (for the 10 seconds you have spare) would anyone back there have a clue as to what l am saying anyway?

Ah, stuff it, give it a shot and if l ****** this one up who will care....

Then you see the skipper has the PA selected on his comm box:ugh:

Whatodoo?

halas

splatgothebugs
7th Jan 2004, 04:15
Hit the nail on the head ITCZ;)

My fav is when your getting into and you look over to watch whats happening next to you. Suddenly your mind wanders and yoooouuuu stststaaaartttt tttoootoototo stutter and lose the little sppech you had ready to go in your head.

:ok:

Splat

Keg
7th Jan 2004, 05:46
I like the one where just after having started your PA, a sign appears in front of you from the other pilot that says 'Whatever you do, don't say F#*K'.

zone
7th Jan 2004, 05:57
Best thing about a PA is the click at the end as the pilot hangs up. Keep em short; the shorter the better.

400librarian
7th Jan 2004, 06:33
I agree with zone

"maximum meaning minimum words"

My personal favorite was always;

"Sit down, shut up, 30 minutes, good luck!"

and it rhymes and everfink....

Bankstown
7th Jan 2004, 07:49
Well, the FAA will be mandating the lines: "Feel free to move around the cabin, but for your safety keep your seatbelts fastened whenever your are seated. If you do get up and the air marshalls believe you are congregating you will be taken out with extreme prejudice. Please stow yor suspicious packages in the toilet area for prompt removal by our cabin crew...." etc etc :mad:

clakajak
7th Jan 2004, 08:34
Love the safety demo PA.... "For your comfort, the aircraft will be pressurised....."

I s'pose ..."For your survival....." wouldn't go down so well....:)

distracted cockroach
7th Jan 2004, 12:18
You cannot win with PAs. Whatever you say will be too much for some, too little for others. What is interesting and informative for a first time flyer will be "the same old noise" for the regular businessman.
I have my own PA spiel that varies little from flight to flight. We have mainly holiday pax so I taylor my pa to that.
When I was flying services for predominantly businessmen, they got generally the same spiel but the much abbreviated version - where we are going (always pays to say that before departure - you never know if someone is on the wrong plane), how long it will take, and a quick mention of destination weather. En route, I only bother them again if there is going to be a delay. If the delay is substantial, for God's sake tell them why and keep them updated. It helps if they can tell their colleagues later exactly why they were late for that meeting, not just that "bloody XYZ airlines are always late"
I've found passengers generally appreciate honesty, without having to be too specific.
Remember you can't ever please everyone, but try and keep the majority happy!

5miles
7th Jan 2004, 16:51
How much for the wingleys??

I'll take 2 - look cool on a P28R

Blue Skies:ok: :}

Ang737
9th Jan 2004, 07:13
I recall a subject I did at uni on Aviation History and that pilots in the early pioneering days of air transport went to ellocution classes to learn how to speak with authority over the PA. The author said that this was designed to exude confidence to a public that was still scepticle of air travel.. Fact.

Ang;)

Planned Root
9th Jan 2004, 20:55
My favourite is a small spiel about the cost of the aircraft and fuel, and it's fun to watch the look on everyone's faces as they look out the windows when informed of the cost of the winglets.

You are joking, aren't you?
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-004.gif

No Further Requirements
10th Jan 2004, 10:40
G'day all.

The best one I ever heard was when I was working approach.

'Ladies and gentlemen welcome aboard ...... flight ... to ..... We are currently passing 6500ft climbing to our cruising altitude of ..... Weather today....conditions for our arrival...let you know if anyhting changes.....again, thank you for travelling with....'

As soon as the mic came unstuck I hear (loudly) "TJA MAINTAING 3000, VISUAL, REQUEST IMMEDIATE DESCENT" from the inbound. After I stopped laughing, talked to TJA and re-composed myself, I politely informed the pilot that it was a most interesting PAX announcement and thanks for the laugh. The reply was great:

Him - "Ah, sorry about that, looks like I'm buying the beers tonight!"

Me - "No dramas"

Him - "Worst thing is, I will have to say it all over again!"

There is still some room for a laugh out there. Keep em coming. Nothing worse than not having a laugh. Talk to you all soon,

NFR.

The Voice
10th Jan 2004, 14:25
back in the heady days of Flight Service .. whilst working a piece of W.A. airspace, an f50 had not long departed PH for some minestrip somewhere ..

'he' came over on to area VHF 'quietly' announcing to all and sundry the dietry requirements for himself and the FO to the FA.

needless to say, added to their wishlist, was everyone elses who happened to be listening to the freq. at the time ..

not only would it have kept the FA gainfully employed for a month, it would have set the Op. back a rather tidy sum $ wise after the booze order alone was announced !

poor bugga .. nothing like finger trouble .. but hell it was funny!

Kaptin M
10th Jan 2004, 19:30
In fact, in the pre-89 Ansett, we were given a 1 day "schooling" on P'A's by some professional radio chap. Don't think it helped most of us though.

Following on from NFR and TV's comments, there was a period in time when one would hear another pilot on the same freq. and identify him.
One would then pick up the mike and broadcast to all on that frequency something along the lines of, "Good morning/afternoon/evening ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. This is Captain xxxx (the other guy's name) speaking - today we are cruising at xx,ooo feet, and the weather enroute is forecast to be fair. The weather at our destination is..........Oh sh!t, I'm on the radio, aren't I" :cool:

Totally irresponsible...totally!! :cool: