PDA

View Full Version : interviews in febuary

lady_aviator
6th Jan 2004, 04:39
hi,

i was just wondering if anyone else will be going to Hong Kong in Febuary for the " overseas" cadet pilot interviews. There seems to be alot of advice on the process itself which has been excellant to read, but anyone recommend any last minute tips to prepare for it? thanks.

pei-wen

cyrex
7th Jan 2004, 11:50
yeah.... i have an interview on feb 10,2004

YMMBB
8th Jan 2004, 10:25
What does "overseas" cadet mean?? Does it mean someone who wasn't born in HK?

Koyo
13th Jan 2004, 08:28
Not really. I think the Oversea interview is for people who got a degree oversea but was born in HK. I heard that someone who was born in Canada but his mother was from HK and still got into the program. There are a few of them on this forum that fits into this catagory (including myself).

Flying Bagel
13th Jan 2004, 17:43
I think all Overseas Cadet means that you're currently living abroad, so they'll put the two 'parts' of the first interview together. That way, the applicant won't have to spend weeks sitting here in Hong Kong doing nothing while waiting for a reply for the second segment.

kinex
3rd Feb 2004, 14:26
Lady_aviator, Cyrex.
so did you get a mail or phone call from them for the invitation for the interview? Will they call u directly overseas?
i'm still waiting for their reply....

dimsum
4th Feb 2004, 08:03
Hey,

Just my $0.02....for the overseas cadet thing, they sent me a reply by snail mail a month after they said they got my application (really, 6-7 weeks).

Good luck!

lady_aviator
4th Feb 2004, 22:32
i got a letter first of all inviting me for an interview, i sent my application about a year ago but then SARS came about and i thought that there was no chance of me hearing from them anytime soon so i enrolled to do the ATPL theory ground school a week after i start i get a letter, is that sods law or what? then i heard from them by email or me calling Ada Tsang trying to arrange dates for the interview because i had school and exams, so finally all done with that, now it is out to HK in the next few days.

kinex
6th Feb 2004, 14:00
Thanks Lady_Aviator, so is it if i ask for Ada Tsang, she will be able to answer my questions about my application? Did u talk to her in english or cantonese?
wish u all the best for your interview.

DIm sum, so when is your first interview?
have u talked to them yet?

dimsum
6th Feb 2004, 15:43
Kinex,

I have to deal with HK immigration first...so once I do that, then I call CX back. So, I don't know when my first interview will be.

kinex
8th Feb 2004, 10:16
dim sim, why do u have to deal with the immigration HK?

mrfox
8th Feb 2004, 12:35
Ada speaks both cantonese and english well. Also her last name is pronounced "tsung", like the word "monk" in chinese.

best of luck!

dimsum
9th Feb 2004, 02:13
Kinex,

Long story short, I have to deal with HK immigration to figure out what kind of residency I have/I can get.

kinex
9th Feb 2004, 18:28
Oh i see dim sim, wish u all the best for getting the visa,
and thanks for you info FOX!! :) cheers

lady_aviator
10th Feb 2004, 18:37
just did the CX cadet interview today and it could easily go both ways. The written and computer aptitude tests were not as bad as i expected but the interview is the tough one. If you have prior flight experience know your stuff because the technical aspect of the interview is tough if you don't know. I can't tell how i did, i know with one of the question i have to admit i had a major brain fart and missed out on the second point i was suppose to make to answer the question. After that the nerves took over, good luck to anyone taking the interviews anytime soon! fingers crossed i get the call back for part 2!

ps Ada wasnt there today, it was peggy who took the interview. don't forget what you wrote on your application as they ask you questions on what you wrote.

Preluder
10th Feb 2004, 22:59
please dont sweat the first interview
i think it's there just to prepare you for the second one
imo, the second interview isnt that "tough"... more relaxing mood, also they put you in a bigger room and it doesnt have the airplane's flight-path view as a distracter ;)

good luck studying the booklet

lady_aviator
11th Feb 2004, 04:46
well lets say i did not walk out of that room feeling confident at all and that room was kinda claustrophobic and i think there was once during the interview when he caught me looking at one of the planes and he turned his read round and i was like oh no! that doesn't look good. I think the thing that worries me is that you have no idea when you leave that room not knowing what they think of you, no feedback. I came out and then 10 mins later, i could answer the questions they asked me in a better way. I hope they take into account the nerves!

Thanks for encouragement, still have my fingers crossed!

mrfox
11th Feb 2004, 06:04
Like Preluder said, dont sweat it... we all looked at the planes ;) :p

What a view!

AhDee
11th Feb 2004, 11:05
haha, and I also did the same thing when I was doing mine one. And I did really bad in the interview that time.

I will keep on trying until they told me to never come back again. So don't worry, this is not your last chance. I have tried 2 times already and still can't get it. :}

miss that view haha

I'll be back:cool:

Flying Bagel
11th Feb 2004, 17:30
If you sat in that room, and didn't look at any planes when they flew by, I'd think there would be something wrong with you.

But that's just my opinion... :suspect:

lady_aviator
11th Feb 2004, 21:22
I mean, of course you are gonna look, there was definately tactic being used there, but wow what a view, if i wanted a desk job i would of loved to have had that office.

Putting you in that seat facing that window, i mean that is like telling someone when they are on top of a high building not to look down, of course as soon as you say that, they look down!

I guess i won't let myself get stressed over the interview anymore, whats done is done and can't be changed, you always think you have done worse than what you have.....but well we shall see, if i don't get it, not the end of the world just make sure i nail next time! :O

Lady_A

wakehead
12th Feb 2004, 06:01
Hi Lady A,
When I walked out of my first interview, I threw my notes away as I was convinced that I had blown it in a huge way. But ten days later I received the call to come for the 2nd interview. Hang in there!:ok:

Flying Bagel
12th Feb 2004, 23:07
The point is, for all the interviewees that go through this process, sometimes they sweat too much over the little things, and they miss the big picture.

The more you understand your own life, and the reasons why you're doing this, the better your chances. Understand the fact that failing will not mean that life is over for you (have an idea of what you want to do with your life if you don't make it into Cathay), or that you are as important to them as they are important to you, will make a big difference.

Be clear, be concise, and be genuine. Lying will get you nowhere, because the interviewers would have heard the propoganda before. Treat them as if they were your best friends, only with a bit more tact and politeness in order (this will help with the nerves department, as you can speak with a more relaxed tone, perhaps even crack a joke or two, and things come out of your head easier). Confidence is important, but cockiness means bad CRM. Humbility is a very hard concept for some, but an important one nevertheless.

In regards to the technical matters, studying is important, yes. Understanding the concepts do not indicate a knowledge level, but how quickly you can learn the concepts. Remember, your knowledge level is weighed against your experience. If you have had no prior flying experience, it is understandable that you may not understand certain things. But if you have a PPL, you better know how to set an altimeter.

Again, if you do not succeed the first time, it isn't the end all and be all. There have been people who have tried three times (or more) before they succeeded.

Whether or not you looked at planes out the window is totally irrelevant. Sometimes, it may indicate that your fascination with planes is more than just a few pen strokes on a piece of paper. Don't sweat it.

lady_aviator
13th Feb 2004, 08:43
Well, at the end of the day i know that this is not the end all and be all of my career. Yes it would be a great foot in the door and an excellant oppertunity. All i can do is give it my best and if that is not good enough just try even harder.

Flying bagel you made some very good points that i completely agree with, i gave it a shot, hope i came across as clear and concise as i tried to be.

I also agree, the more experience you have, the more you are expected to know. It adds up the pressure. Well, i guess i will just have to wait to hear from CX. If i get this or not, there is no point in fretting or stressing over something i can do nothing about at this time. It is just the waiting game that gets me! :uhoh:

If not, i have been realistic that the competition is tough and there is only so many spaces per course, so i have my back up organised and will continue with the rest of my training and will try with CX again. Anyway, i am sure i won't be the only one to appreciate what you had to say there, thanks

Lady_A :ok:

Preluder
13th Feb 2004, 10:49
they will call you up directly if you make it to the next stage... and they will mail you a letter if it's a no go
hope you get a call back

yes, it's a waiting game ... but i'm sure there are a lot to do while you're in hk

kinex
14th Feb 2004, 11:25
I'm sure you will be ok...don't worry so much. I had an interview with them 5 years ago when i was 19, i got thru the first stage. and i realised that their expectation for the 1st stage is not as high as we imagine. U will be alright!!! cheer up!

Just wondering is there anyone in Australia got the reply from CX yet?
i've been waiting for a long time, sounds like they calling people from UK and canada but not in Aust.....:confused:

lady_aviator
14th Feb 2004, 14:44
Yeah there was an australian guy there for the cadet interview and they were also conducting the de s/o interviews that day also and i believe there were a few australian candidates in that group.

Thanks for the chin up, like i said i'll just keep going with what i am doing and not worry about it until i get a call or letter. Either way not the end of the world. So the waiting continues...... :\ :uhoh: :O

cadet applicant
22nd Feb 2004, 13:46
Hi all,

thx for sharing your experience over here, i just pass through the first round cadet interview and they had called me to do a further medical check 2 wks ago. After the medical check, the doctor asked me to provide some medical letter from my previous doctors to prove my health condition ( i had asthma when i was very young!)

my doctors are preparing the letters for me now, but i have no yet receive any news from the recruitment!!!

Are they waiting for my letters before calling me in for the 2nd interview??? anyway, i will send those letters to them in the coming few days. Hope they will call me soon!!!

Also, i think some of you are already pass through the 2nd interview, could you guys tell me more about it? and any suggestion to my preparation for it???

I had no any flying experience, so i hv no idea what can i prepare, just reading some material about how the plane fly and do some simple maths exercise.

thx for your info!!!