PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting ear pressure while having a cold?

Eboy
5th Jan 2004, 19:48
I had to make a couple of flights yesterday while having a cold. Wasn't very painful, fortunately, but due to head congestion my ear pressure hasn't normalized making it more difficult to hear. I know it will pop back eventually, but since I am in meetings all week for my small business, I's appreciate any tricks for speeding up the process. Yawning usually works -- not now. Thank you.

zed3
6th Jan 2004, 01:41
Had that on returning into Dusseldorf from Johannesburg last October with a cold , most annoying but it did return after a couple of days. Plenty of beer , wine , etc. normally does the trick .Good luck!!!

takenthe5thamendment
6th Jan 2004, 19:27
Nip to Wal*Mart and buy some 'Equate' (which is their own make)Suphedrine tablets or capsules.

It clears nasal and sinus congestion and sinus pressure.....you can also get it combined with Acetaminophen, which is an analgesic which may be useful.

It costs around $3

There is also a nasal spay available.

If you can't get to Wal*Mart go to a drugstore and have a look on the shelves for items with the active ingredients - no need to buy branded products.

You could also try this for temporary relief -

Force air into the sinuses by raising the pressure in the nose by pinching the nostrils, closing the mouth, and breathing out hard.

I hope you're feeling better soon. :ok:

Gouabafla
6th Jan 2004, 23:41
Spent the first day of an academic conference unable to hear any of the papers when that happened to me. - Made it one of the most interesting conferences I've been too.

Over coffee, someone told me to nip my nose and then blow it as hard as I could. It hurt for a couple of seconds and then cleared everything up. Unfortunately, I had to listen to the rest of the conference.

Bre901
10th Jan 2004, 00:14
I very strongly recommend the use of decongestants (sp?), plus chewing the usual gum from the very beginning of the descent. You have to be careful about it, as it is not always announced, especially on long haul. The best clue if you cannot look outside is generally some idling of the engines.

I once suffered a punctured eardum on a BA MAN-CDG flight (with a strong cold). I was in a great discussion with a colleague and had not noticed the descent (very fast indeed). When I did it was too late. It got very painful and deafening until I walked into the arrival terminal where I heard a little crackling noise, the pain got lower, but somehow remained. Consequences were not very serious except that I was not allowed any water in my ear for one month (no swimming, shower with an earplug, etc)

whitingiom
10th Jan 2004, 06:23
Thanks for the tips.

Just done LGW to IOM and was talking to another passenger on descent - didn't realise until I got home and started watching TV.

No hearing on right side....but coming back slowly.