PDA

View Full Version : Instructing without C150/152

Prophead
5th Jan 2004, 19:42
I am currently trying to decide whether i should get my instructors rating and spend some time instructing to build my hours (Which would mean leaving a fairly well paid job) or paying for the hours myself. One thing i think may be a problem is the fact that at 6'3" i was told when i began my PPL that i would not be able to get in a C150/152 (I haven't actually tried it myself). Seeing as this is the most popular training aircraft would i be able to make any sort of a living as an instructor or should i stick to renting to build my hours?

Field In Sight
5th Jan 2004, 21:20
A 150/152 be a struggle and impractical weight wise unless you are particularly skinny (if you instruct for any length of time you will get skinny for free anyway :( ).

You will just be restricted to larger aircraft. 172's/Warriors etc.

I've only started instructing very recently and really enjoy it, also I've already noticed the improvement in my own flying. However, once I have 500 instructional hours or so I realise that the main gain from then on will be Total Time, not particularly experience.

Why don't you get a share in a cheap aircraft and fly the arse off it. It should get cheaper the more you fly it. I know some of the PFA types you can fly around for about 20pph.

I've had to go back to my "fairly well paid job" in IT for the winter period so as to make next summer a lot less uncomfortable financially speaking :{