PDA

View Full Version : Shenzhen & Hainan A/Ls hiring

Le Pilot
5th Jan 2004, 01:26
20 737 Capts to be interviewed in Shenzhen next week.
Hainan Airlines will finalise contract details within 10 days.

Shenzhen US$5000/mth incl good accommodation. Many 737-800s to be delivered this year.

HNA US$6500/mth basing most likely Haikou but Beijing (Xin Hua) and Shanghai (Yangtse River Express) are also on the cards. Accom allowance RMB1500/mth HAK and RMB3000/mth in the big smoke. HNA require a minimum of 30 Captains ( requirements are now at 500 PIC on Classic or NG)
HAK-KIX-HAK opened last week
HAK-PUS-HAK opened on New Years day
SYX-ICN-SYX will increase from 4 times per week to daily next week.
BKK service opens end of the month. Normal SIN and KUL charters during the Chinese New Year.
HNA have 30 more 737s to be delivered this year (Most will be 2nd hand) Fleet currently at 81 plus Aircraft (3 new 767s, lots of 737-3/4/7/800s, 22 Dornier 328s and 3 Dash 8-400s) Old news: 8 A320s for HNA this year as well

Numerous agencies courting HNA.

You heard it here .. email [email protected] if you require any more info

LVL CHG
5th Jan 2004, 04:58
Will non-Chinese be considered - do you need to speak the local language? Are type ratings or time-on-type in specific aircraft required? I hear Haikou is a nice place - very tropical.

Le Pilot
5th Jan 2004, 10:41
Shenzhen are interviewing mainly Brazilians. They currently have 4 or 5 Expats (Thru Contractair)
HNA have 2 (Australians) and expect to take many more expats within the next few months.
NB They have been promising to take lots of Lau Wai's for awhile. This time appears for real.
Air China and China Eastern have made a few moves in this direction as well.
If you are dealing with any company from mainland China: Don't call them China Airlines. No.1 shows your ignorance. No.2 Political reasons.:rolleyes:

Foreign Worker
5th Jan 2004, 14:30
Is there something about Hainan that you are not telling us Le Pilot that makes Hong Kong more attractive for you?:confused:

Kerropi
5th Jan 2004, 19:09
NB They have been promising to take lots of Lau Wai's for awhile

What is Lau Wai's??

Le Pilot
5th Jan 2004, 23:23
Foreign worker. I am just informing the masses of lots of decent jobs. As for me I love it here. Just the missus is trying to drag me out because of her appetite for original copies;) Sorry Original goods.

Living in Haikou is fantastic if you are a native Chinese or most foreigners. The remaining Lau Wai's (foreigners) find it difficult to live here because practically nobody can communicate with you unless you speak Mandarin or Hainanese. Even Cantonese is as foreign as English here.

The weather overall is great. 22 celsius today and they say it's winter. Wearing a T-shirt at the moment & it's midnight.. Should be in bed but the night life here is only beginning.. Single guys are out there like a pack of Wolves!

The money that Hainan are offering is very good considering Haikou is probably one of the cheapest places on the planet. The VP and the "leaders" have decided to go for quality Pilots, meaning they will try and be fussy with who they choose.

The package is Tax free, The housing allowance is almost enough, the management are great guys as long as you remember it's their train set.

Children's education: Sorry only Chinese schools. Their are montessori Kinergartens but that's it.

Western restaurants: 2 decent 5 star hotels (The rest of the 5 star joints paid for the extra stars) Mandarin..best Western food. Crowne Plaza.. Pretty good too but overpriced.

1 Scottish Hamburger Joint.. Something starting with a golden M Opened 14 months ago.. :D

The medical care in Haikou is quite poor, the company drs are probably the best in Haikou.

It is an emotional rollercoaster but if you survive 6 mths you probably will never want to leave!

squire
6th Jan 2004, 08:08
Check your personal messages LP will be there for the Chinese New Year be good to have a beer.:ok:

Hachiouji-shi
6th Jan 2004, 11:07
Le pilot, please check your PMs

thank you!

Dixi Normus
6th Jan 2004, 21:21
Hainan Island is a great place to fly, just ask those USN P-3 crews that had an all expense paid trip by the Chinese government! Hainan Air is best run mainland carrier.

Le Pilot
8th Jan 2004, 23:31
The Orion crew thought the Chinese were trying to poison them. But actually they were being served the best... Including Shredded sows ear, Upper intestine of a young cow and one of my favourites..Braised Camel hoof :ooh:

Our friends here give only the best!

Their intentions are good... As long as you keep that in mind.

Foreign Worker
9th Jan 2004, 22:21
Oh plllleeeeease!!
Le Pilot perhaps you have been trying to live the Eastern line of culture - as a Westerner - for too long. You were raised in the western culture vs Asian, were't you?!
So let's cut the bs! :ok:

For Gwailos - non-Chinese - Dragonair is offering the very BEST conditions available.
And as a matter of FACT , DRAGONAIR are probably offering the BEST conditions of employment in the H.K. area to nationals!!!

Tell CX, "Dioulay".....which MIGHT be Arabic for "God bless you".............but I doubt it - and ask Le Pilot to grow up (and rmove that grey strip from his hair).

Le Pilot
10th Jan 2004, 08:57
Well that was informative.

I've posted here over the last 2 years to give some of the drivers an idea what's happening here.

Surely the growth of grey hair does not influence my ability to help all have a better lifestyle. HU (& SZ) have limited info on their website. Just bridging the gap.

Just look through past posts over the last few years. Consistently trying to be informative.

They dont work us too hard here. So plenty of time to talk about the local scene.

Cheers!
:D

Kaptin M
10th Jan 2004, 19:13
F.W. a "friend" of your's L.P.? She sure has sharp talons!

Anyway, it sounds as tho' things are moving in that part of the world - are the salaries post tax, ie. tax paid, L.P.? Paid in USD?
Is the housing allowance separate, or included in those figures?

Le Pilot
10th Jan 2004, 20:00
Thanks KM

Felt a melenky bit of ultraviolence there for awhile. :E

The 20 victims who were supposed to turn up in SZ turned out to be 4 due Visa problems.

In China you need lots of patience.

But the good news in SZ is the salary has been pumped up to US$6000 ($1000 paid in RMB)

HU is at US$6500. Accom is supposed to be covered in HU as in SZ. But that will depend on where you're based. They raised the PEK based alowance to RMB4500. The big shots at the top say that you can get a pretty good apartment in Beijing (PEK) for that money :hmm:

Latest news: my offsider quit yesterday to join Jet connect, (QF NZ) He has a 2 year old and felt AKL was more fun.

The management are having another meeting Mon morning to look at improving HU's deal. Dont hold yer breath!

This expat thing is totally new to these guys.

Sorry KM.

Yes the salaries are all Tax paid and China has a dual taxation agreement with most Western countries. Housing is seperate to the US dollars.

Ivan Urge
12th Jan 2004, 10:18
Just so that all the facts are correct;

Shenzhen now have 8 expats. The salary is USD5000 after tax. Agency A provides for apartment accomodation and 5 tickets per year. Agency B gives you the USD1000 (probably in RMB), says go find your own accomodation and provides for only 2 tickets per year. Agency B is yet to muscle in here yet but rumour has it, it may soon.

They are still very interested in employing about 20 more this year. A few have failed the medical and lots have failed the sim check, which is done raw data with emergencies at a very challenging airport.

Tax may be not what it seems........

Le Pilot
12th Jan 2004, 17:21
Urge

The HNA deal I'm more familiar with. The Shenzhen contract info was 2nd hand.

Thxs 4 the post

Ivan Urge
24th Jan 2004, 01:07
LP,

Saw a few of yours today at PEK. Whats with the hiring? Lots of people I know have had unsolicited emails from a certain agency downunder re Hainan and when questions were asked, replies were not forthcoming.

I now see Direct are visiting Oz's sunny shores to hire for SE Asia/ Pacific Rim. Get real- just call it China.

BTW, a certain Irish gentleman ex yours turned up here a while ago and must have got food poisoning (or was it something he drank?). He was too sick to fly the sim for the assesment!!!

The quest goes on here for Captains with a sense of adventure. Lots needed.

:ok:

Le Pilot
24th Jan 2004, 09:32
Urge
Don't know much about what's happening with the Irish chap but you got it right with the agencies.
3 agencies are nipping at HNA's heals, all might put some candidates forward but Shenzhen are the ones who have stopped talking and started hiring.
Direct will be conducting interviews in OZ next month.
HNA are buying (leasing most) B737s from anybody who's hurting.
They need the Pilots.
Last few weeks, one more Dornier Jet from Germany737-300 from Eastern Europe and a 737-800 (all economy) from Shannon. The 738 from Shannon has a higher MTOW than any of their current 800s.
SHenzhen need 40 Captains I believe. HNA require 20 soon (When? Well how long is a piece of String?)

Jim Morehead
25th Jan 2004, 13:27
LE PILOT
I don't know why the other poster jumped down your throat. I appreciate reading anything about other places in the world.

But what did you mean"if you get through the first 6 months"? Life at any airline is challenging in the first six months just learning how your employer does things "a little different" than you used to. Its only natural.

Farknel
25th Jan 2004, 18:11
Does the need for expat crews ever extend to Co-Pilots - or is that demand filled by locally trained crew? I am sure there are motivated and suitable pilots outside China who are still waiting for their "break" and would be happy to work in the right seat - me being one of them.

If there is any demand, would a type rating and / or experience on type be required?

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks,

Fark!

Ivan Urge
25th Jan 2004, 18:48
F'Nell sorry to rain on your parade but no F/Os required in China. They have too many of them already and need expats because they do not have enough F/Os with sufficient experience to upgrade. They put as many observer F/Os in the cockpit as possible on each flight. If Boeing had installed ten jumpseats there would be twelve in the cockpit!!! Good luck with your quest elsewhere. Try China Airlines.

Deske
26th Jan 2004, 04:45
I have received a call from an agency some days ago.

They stated a contract on the mainland China for B737-NG and EIFIS as well.They are looking for dual-rated pilots,Capts and F/Os.

magus
26th Jan 2004, 06:54
Ivan Urge is incorrect and Deske is closer to the truth!

I know one airline is planning to recruit non-national F/O's - a friend has the application form in hand! Seems expansion of aviation in China has/will grow beyond expectations..........

Le Pilot
26th Jan 2004, 11:20
Magus
Some truth in what you're saying. HNA was approached by another carrier in China to supply Experienced FOs. This is quite amazing considering we carry a cockpit full of Pilots plus occasionally an extra in the cabin! And as Urge points out all the Airlines here do. Problem 2 or 3 of the Pilots with you are trainee's and cannot occupy an operational position (Observers only)
Things are moving but it won't happen overnight.

Jim

Appreciate your posts, positive and informative! Guys like you make this forum worth it. Keep it up!

Taipei & Khaoshung are very different to Haikou or Shenzhen.
The cultural change to a place like Haikou is extreme. Practically no English, no English signs and no particular landmarks. Just to meet somebody downtown is nearly impossible unless you speak some mandarin. No Hard Rock Cafes or Hotels with English signs to get a reference off.
Slowly the roads are getting Pin Yin signs.(for the people living outside our region:Pin Yin - Romanised version of Chinese, Otherwise Characters only) This is a huge change.
If you're an outdoor sort of person, enjoy tennis, golf and cycling then Haikou is pretty good. If you like evening strolls with quiet streets then look for a contract in Hawaii.
But clear air, caring people and very laid back make it all worth it.

Jim Morehead
26th Jan 2004, 14:55
LEPILOT
On the first part, I am not sure why some get their thrills on beating up on each other. It's fine to have differences of opinion. All people of the world view things a little differently of course. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

On the China (mainland China) experience, I think I can relate. I've had many more PVG and PEK layovers than the Taiwan guys for obvious reasons. From the US, I flew to both of those cities direct and enjoyed the time there,but you are right about English and the things there are to do. Mainland China is night and day compared to Taiwan in living conditions, temperature, people's acceptance, etc. Taiwan has a zillion motor scooters and cars where mainland China is more bicycles. PVG/Shanghai is growing fast and the new airport is poised for growth.

Down in your island, I presume you are more in a tourist (?) area and more beaches and warmer temperatures. I would think somewhat like Hong Kong and the islands surrounding HKG. I've walked most of those and you would have to find plenty to do to keep you occupied. There are no MacDonald's, 7/11s, and Irish pubs! But walks and hikes around the islands were enjoyable ending at a seafood market and good brew.

Who knows? Someday Taiwan and the mainland will start flying nonstop direct.

Le Pilot
26th Jan 2004, 20:42
Right again Jim

Actually Shanghai (PVG-Pudong) and PEK are like western cities compared to places like Haikou but definately you get the idea as far as the Mainland compares to Taiwan.

They're pretty soft on foreigners in Haikou which makes it a pleasant place to live. Haikou is still business, Sanya is the Tourist haven. Yalong Bay in the South East is beautiful (But 2-3 hours drive from Haikou)

The only problem is some foreigners lose control of themselves here.
You get to hear some pretty spectacular stories which are incriminating, so I'll save them for a fireside chat, a good red and lots of laughs. Not for a public forum.:D

Ivan Urge
26th Jan 2004, 21:48
Magnus, your information may be 'reliable' but consider this;

There are umpteen million Chinese, with the infrastucture to train umpteeen thousands of pilots in countries like Australia and the U.S. and all they require is the bare minimum to sit in and eventually manipulate from the right seat of a 737.

If an agency has told you you have a chance at the right seat, good luck but agencies are like pond life; they have low collective IQ, live in an environment of slime and are liable to get flushed out by the big fish in the next pond.:eek:

speedtwoten
28th Jan 2004, 07:04
LE PILOT
I just up graded to B737 EFIS Capt. got 400 hrs in left hand seat now, was F/O on B744, do I have the chance to apply and how.

many thank's

Le Pilot
28th Jan 2004, 20:33
500 PIC B737 is what you need.
Apply to one of the agencies.

But you'll be walking away from your permanent job.

Weigh it up Cash without a guaranteed future against Job security and promotion.

speedtwoten
28th Jan 2004, 20:59
Le Pilot check your PM pls.

Deske
30th Jan 2004, 02:08
Hi,

received application form for an airline in the mainland China.

For B737-NG and B737-efis F/O,dual rated usd 3000,everything included.

Honestly,it is lower than my present salary at my current employer,same aircraft in east europe

Le Pilot
1st Feb 2004, 21:30
Ivan

The FOs are for your airline.
Agency is based in Shenzhen too.

Hachiouji-shi
2nd Feb 2004, 10:03
Le Pilot, please check your PMs thanks!

Deske
4th Mar 2004, 00:10
Pleeeeaseee!

Shenzhen interview 2 weeks later.

Any info would be appretiated about the company and about the lifestyle with usd3000 in that region,housing is not included.

cumulusse
4th Mar 2004, 09:29
dear all

so do those Cie need f/o?

what would the requirements be and origins of licence?

many thanks...special to le pilote!

Le Pilot
4th Mar 2004, 10:10
cumulusse
Yes they need FO's as well.
A few agencies in on this gig
Deske
US$3000 is a lot of money in China. As I've said many times, to live in mainland China is cheap.
US$500/month is enough to eat out daily, Beers in the evening, enjoy all the latest movies on DVD and catch taxis all over town. Only imported wine and cars are expensive.

Ivan Urge
4th Mar 2004, 14:18
Its all changing here rapidly- you didnt hear me say for the better. Many new hire captains have been to told to sit in the right seat, on right seat money, until??? FOs are being sought after, to the surprise of many. The much feared sim check has now changed and recently many captains have 'passed' (but see my second sentence). Sim is half done raw data with steep turns, 2 eng ILS with a G/A then an engine failure and fire around V2 followed by a min weather engine out ILS to land. No big formal interview as such- it all hinges on the sim and medical. Medicals a bit of a problem. Too much blood found in the alcohol of many, so candidates are asked not to drink for 5 days prior, nor during their stay here. Believe me you will feel like a drink pretty soon after you arrive. You will need a week to do it all. USD3000 with paying for yr accom is not enough for an F/O. You need to have yr accom paid for on top of that. Getting the NG rating also a bit of a problem. Come here with a VERY open mind and single. C.R.M. is simply a group of three non-consecutive letters in the alphabet with fullstops between them. It's not for families on that salary. LP is right if you want to drink/eat at local restaurants, but you can only do that so many times and when you crave for some Western culture/cuisine/company, be prepared to pay.

Deske
4th Mar 2004, 17:08
So the terms and conditions are the following for Shenzhen F/O:

I am rated on the NG as well on the EFIS.

Please advise me,what can I expect?
For example,what kind of accomodation can be found?
Can I achieve any savings at the end?
How Shenzhen treats expats and is there any value of the "given word?"

Minimum Requirements
These Terms are subject to the final agreement by the Client Airline and although we
endeavour to keep you updated on all changes it is recommended that all interested pilots
request updates periodically.
1 Cockpit crew BB737 NG/EFIS First Officers
2 First Officers
Minimum flight time
Ideally a minimum of 3000 hours total flying time.
I
deally a minimum of 1000 hours on type.
3 Cockpit Crew
Minimum
qualifications
First Officers must hold a current and valid JAA or
ICAO CPL/ATPL.
A current B737NG & EFIS type rating – Candidates
who currently only possess an EFIS rating will be
considered provided that the candidate will pay for
the cost of the NG rating.
I
deally completed a Proficiency Check (OPC) and
medical within 6 months of the start of the contract.
Last flight ideally within 6 months.
No history of accidents or incidents.
B737NG/EFIS First Officers – Conditions for contracted period.
1 Accommodation and Living
Expenses
Accommodation and living expenses allowance of
$1000 per month will be paid. Direct Personnel
will assist candidates in locating suitable
international standard accommodation.
2 Base of operation Asia.
3 Duration 3 year contract, reviewed annually.
Transportation Ground transportation shall be provided by the
airline.
5 Days Off Minimum 8 days off per month, some of which will
be consecutive.
Annual Leave 4 weeks leave per annum.
7 Medical Insurance
Access to client airline medical facilities on similar
conditions to equivalent personnel.
8 Flight Crew Insurance
Crew Members will be provided with Personnel
Accident & Emergency Medical insurance by DPI.
Loss of licence insurance is also provided.
9 Monthly Fee Based on 80
Block Hours
B737 First Officers
USD 2,000 net of income tax.
The monthly fee is paid into the bank account of
your choice.
10 Probation Period A probation period of one month will apply. The
monthly fee for the probation period shall be 50%
of the standard monthly fee.

Ivan Urge
4th Mar 2004, 18:41
Deske, can't imagine why if you have a job in Europe you would consider it. Don't imagine for a moment you would get an upgrade here. It's way to early for them to even think about such a concept.

Expect the unexpected. Accom cheap at USD300-500 a month but not much of it up to western standards. Save? How much of what's left of $3000, after you have paid for food, beer, girls and a pad could possibly be called savings. The answer to the last question is better left off Pprune.

aviator1962
5th Mar 2004, 05:48
Been there last few weeks for successful assessment. Starting as F/O, but upgrade within six months. Looked at a few apartments that cost $200 pcm for decent place of good standard, utilities extra, guess around $50 per month. Yes, salary not the best, but cost of living so so low! Looking forward to it, nice people - agency on the ground looking after us, well prepared. Good flyers needed and we were made to feel very welcome and part of an exciting airline.

Kaptin M
5th Mar 2004, 06:40
aviator1962, "Starting as F/O, but upgrade within six months."

Does that mean that you applied for the job as a captain, and have been told that you have it, but will have to spend (a minimum) 6 months flying as a co-pilot?

Ivan has considerable experience and knowledge of contract flying, and I would strongly urge :D prospective applicants to read his posts carefully and thoroughly.
He calls a spade a spade, and won't sugar coat it the way some of the agency employees who post here under the guise of pilots do!

The last thing you need, is to find yourself stuck in a foreign country where EVERYTHING (that means street signs, menus, radio & television, bus signs, application forms, utilities bills, etc) is ALL in Chinese.
After the novelty wears off you'll realise that the crew don't really want you joining them when they stop over, but if you do tag along it will be on their terms (you'll be offered exotic foods - snakes, tortoises, frogs, rats, pig's ear..) and you'll find yourself excluded from 99% of the conversation, because it's too difficult for them to converse amongst themselves in a foreign language.
And then you find that you're saving what? $300..$500 per month?

The flying might seem appealing at first, but it will be the Dollars that will make or break you after 6-12 months.

Foreign Worker
5th Mar 2004, 08:43
Would it be unreasonable to expect the recruiting agency to contribute a paltry $300 pcm from the $1500-$2000 per pilot per month, they cream, to pay for accomodation?

Le Pilot
5th Mar 2004, 09:31
Kap

Must be nuts but I genuinely like it.
You can laugh at the strange food but you don't have to eat it.
You can feel you are being ignored but that changes with time.
You can have your satellite dish with 40+ foreign channels put on for 2200RMB (US$275)-Black market job.
You can learn their culture and appreciate some of their history.

My agency IAC has no Pilots in Shenzhen.
Direct do and have put the hard work in and are looking at being in for the long haul.
Contractair put the hard yards in last year to be the ground breakers. So they have a few Pilots and appear to be in for the second round.

So I hope you're not referring to me as one of the following: "won't sugar coat it the way some of the agency employees who post here under the guise of pilots do"
Because I am a Pilot and I like Urge am expressing my opinion.

I have been in China since Nov 2001. Urge has been here significantly less. And yes I also have a lot of Contract experience.

True! it has not helped with the demise of the US$, being not much of a gig for an Australian or a European. But if your currency is tied (or follows) the US$, it pays enough to be able to save a decent amount without living like a civic cat (Sorry, a dog).
Particularly if you're working in Brazil for US$2000/mth. Or as an FO in an Eastern European country for around US$1000/mth.

Sugar Coating! Well sometimes it's a bit sour but I can handle it.

Kaptin M
5th Mar 2004, 10:28
Hiya L.P..
No it wasn't directed at you, as a matter of fact I wasn't aware that you were working with IAC in a contractor role.
I do realise that you are in a different part of China to Hesgotan Urge, employed under a different contract, and working with different people.

From time to time (not only on this forum), posts appear that are just too glowing (and often indicating that there are upgrade prospects) when compared with posts of others who are in situ. Offering the sort of stuff that will suck pilots in, eg. quick upgrade to the lhs for F/O's, upgrades to bigger, newer, equipment (beautiful, desperate F/A's :eek: just dying to meet suave, debonair, foreign pilots.)

My reason for citing some of the examples I did (eg. the food) was to make some people aware of the BIG change in living conditions they face, if they have never lived in Asia. The young guys with stars in their eyes, who believe the world revolves around an aeroplane.

For both you, L.P., and Urge, this was not the case, you had both already experienced life out of the western mainstream for a considerable period, prior to Hainan and Shenzen, whereas mine was a gentle transition, as Singapore was my first experience at life as an expat.
It is one thing to travel to a country and stay in a (western style) Hotel, but quite a different kettle of fish when one moves into an apartment or house.

As for those pilots working in Brazil or Eastern Europe (who earn considerably more than $1,000 they tell me), the difference there is the cultures are similar, making the adjustment much easier.

Even in this part of Asia, which is very "user-friendly" for expats, there are still people who are unable to adjust. I believe that mainland China would be considerably more difficult than most places, and if there's not enough $$$'s going into savings each month to compensate, then life is going to be extremely miserable, imo.

Le Pilot
5th Mar 2004, 11:30
Must be paranoid, overdosed on chicken feet!

Agree with all you said, except China is just as foreign to a Brazilian as it is to an American or Australian.

Maybe some of the countries under the old USSR might appreciate some of the finer points of Government here:D

Deske
5th Mar 2004, 17:53
"Maybe some of the countries under the old USSR might appreciate some of the finer points of Government here."

I am not sure about this.

As I my father had been deported in his age of 5 for 4 years,I have to disagree with You.

Le Pilot
5th Mar 2004, 19:14
I was not trying to be complimentary.

And you thought communication in China was difficult!

Ivan Urge
5th Mar 2004, 23:22
aviator 1962; You must have that ''within 6 months to command " clause in your contract. Me thinks it won't be and I must warn you that it has taken more than that for experienced captains to get checked out here. Even if it was, it WILL be subject to their assesment for commandability. Read my previous post again re offers of right seats to experienced captains. Are you a gambling man? USD 200/month will get you accomodation but frankly speaking it will not be flash by anyones standard. I call it as it is- no apologies. Good flyers needed-yes. Good flyers- respected? I'll let you be the judge if you come. You will need a LOT of patience and even more experience to get along here. It is interesting but not for the feint-hearted. Here, the 'will of the man' overrides the manuals. Do a sincere appraisal of the pros and cons before you come- it may surprise you. BTW one of the agencies here thought that Loss of Licence Insurance was to cover you for accidental loss of your licence in the street for example. Say no more.

Le Pilot
6th Mar 2004, 10:56
Urge

I wanna join that agency... Oops lost my license whilst drinking last night, thought it was in a safe place!!... Hmmm maybe I'll take the $300,000. Thxs

Hahaha:ok:

Ivan Urge
7th Mar 2004, 18:59
Exotic Foods... Well, top of climb today up comes a tray of inflight 'nibbles'. Great I thought, little sausages. On closer inspection they were not sausages. "What are these" I say. Silence while the electronic dictionary gets withdrawn from the flight bag opposite.

After several minutes the reply comes;

LOCUSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eeeeeeoouch..............

Capt Snooze
7th Mar 2004, 20:17
Hey Ivan,

SAC catering is pretty good. You don't have to eat the 'fruity porridge' out of China Airlines Catering in Taipei!!

:yuk:

Snooze

Le Pilot
8th Mar 2004, 07:56
I don't think Ivan will have the URGE to land in Taipei.... Mainland carriers even though apparently welcome in Taiwan will be met with force! Plus not good for the career progression.

Ivan were the Locusts in Chocolate sauce or done with a Szechwan pepper?:D

Sure is one way to lose weight.

Rollo
15th Mar 2004, 07:09
So which is the Agency to go for, any contract worker as we know wants to earn that bit more for their retirement. Maybe cheap in China, but thats not the point.By the way can you bring your families along, do they pay for schooling and things like that. Are tickets included. It would be interesting for the family, but are they taboo!!!. actually heard from one Agency that Chinese pilots are registering on their database, they want out. Thats of course the ones that can speak English. Are the Manuals etc in English or do you have to do a crash course in Chinese to know whats expected of you. Also heard you get fined for heavy landings!!! Lots of questions to ask you Le Pilot. Would be interesting I admit, but too many buts, are you prepared to answer the buts??? you seem to know the market out there. By the way are you an Agent?? rather curious. Bit of a messy mail but too many questions to ask at once apologies for that.:hmm:

DITW
15th Mar 2004, 12:28
From Kaptin M:

The last thing you need, is to find yourself stuck in a foreign country where EVERYTHING (that means street signs, menus, radio & television, bus signs, application forms, utilities bills, etc) is ALL in Chinese.

After the novelty wears off you'll realise that the crew don't really want you joining them when they stop over, but if you do tag along it will be on their terms (you'll be offered exotic foods - snakes, tortoises, frogs, rats, pig's ear..) and you'll find yourself excluded from 99% of the conversation, because it's too difficult for them to converse amongst themselves in a foreign language.

And then you find that you're saving what? $300..$500 per month?

The flying might seem appealing at first, but it will be the Dollars that will make or break you after 6-12 months.

Sounds a lot like China Airlines, only for LESS money...

Kaptin M
16th Mar 2004, 07:07
Mmmmmm LOCUST.

The chokkie ones are the dessert, LP - Ivan was probably served the hors d'oeuvre variety...fried. :ok:
You'd have to remember those were on offer in one of your previous abodes during certain times of the year.

do you have to do a crash course in Chinese Hopefully not - that would be a BIG fine.

Le Pilot
16th Mar 2004, 14:41
:} All this talk about my favourites.... Just whetting the appetite.

A lot of Chinese Pilots want out due to their pay being less than half that of a foreigner. Heard this before.

Organisation is not one of their better attributes but they're trying hard and there are definate signs of improvement.
Luckily in Hainan they don't fine the foreigners for heavy landings, just fire their "r"cers (After a couple of warnings) :ouch:

Rollo, I've been out here on Devils :E Island for 28 months. And No I am not agency. Why do I look like a pimp?:hmm:
But I work through a pimp.... Which makes me a....... Well at least it's a job!

Manuals are in English. When you as the foreigner are to fly.. the unfortunate FO has to carry the "Handicap's flight case" with all the English documents.

They're all trying to improve their English whilst we get tongue cramps trying to learn mandarin.

The Hainan management are always reasonable but just take of your "Sheet kicking boots" if you don't agree with them.
They want to take the company into the present century ;) and damn well will ask your advise once they trust you.

It's never easy living in China but don't take it too serious and have heaps of patience!.... Now Where's that Valium:\

flufdriver
16th Mar 2004, 19:35
I have enjoyed reading this topic, very informative!
I'd also like to thank all the contributors for sticking to the plot.

I saw the ads looking for Pilots and as it happens I happen to have about half of my 16000 hrs TT on the 73's, albeit jurassic and classic, no NG.

The mortgage is paid up, the house is empty and I still have the tavel itch. The wife would probably be happy to have a longdistance marriage and I could live with it too. Since I have been an expat for most of my life I could probably survive working with all non english speaking crew. But really, US$ 6500 a month, for what could be fairly described as a hardship post?

No matter how low the cost of living in a given location, (unless you plan to spend the rest of your life there) at the end of the day you will still need to be able to retire on something other then love and sunshine.

I for one would be happy to let someone benefit from all of my experience (management experience included) but it would have to be at something closer to twice the remunertion that's currently being offered.

A Dollar does'nt buy what it used to!

triplegem
17th Mar 2004, 05:13
Shenzen is one of the the most modern cities in China with good infrastructures. It is green but a bit dirty if compared to older cities like Beijing. It has the highest GDP in China and people from rural provinces flocked here for job opportunities and brought along many dirty habits. Many without proper education or skill turn to pickpocketing,begging or prostituitions.

Generally,the people work very hard for long hours,and few rest days. There are many tourist spots, outdoor recreational places like parks with sporting faclities and hills with paved path for climbers.It's not a bad place to work for a year or two.

Two major shortcomings; Difficulty in comm and dealing with the
government officials needs a lot of patience. We dubbed the immigration ,custom and security officers at SZX Airport as little emperrors. They change the procedures from time to time and they are supposed to be right all the time. It is so frustrating as most of them speak only PU TONG HUA (Mandarin). You stamp your passport every time in and out as crew.

Oherwise living here is much better than many places in developing countries and USD 5-6000 amonth takes you a long way. I am not flying for SZX Airlines but I found some clauses in the contract quite disturbing. You are expected to fly 72 hours amonth(from take off to landing and not chocks to chocks), anything less will be deducted from salary. The company has the right to fire you if you fall sick for more than 8 days a year. If you fail any COT, the company can fire you and you have to pay back the contract sum.

Ivan is right, read the contract carefully and know what u are into.

:cool:

Le Pilot
17th Mar 2004, 11:21
Gem
Hainan Airlines have none of the fascist clauses of Shenzhen.
The Climate here is fantastic but there are no English speaking schools, only 2 kindergardens.
Shenzhen Airport security are a pain in the you know where... But Hainan security is too lax.
Probably a better deal overall in Haikou.

Capt Snooze
17th Mar 2004, 12:43
Actually, Shenzhen airport security aren't too bad, if a little inconsistent.
(sexist mode on) I wouldn't mind a full body search from some of the ladies concerned :eek: :hmm: :ok: (sexist mode off)

Certain officers aside, immigration are the biggest variable at the moment. The rules and the interpretation there-of, seem to vary with each official on duty, and possibly on what kind of a day he has had. Although in this, they merely may be achieving 'world's best practice'. LA and HNL spring to mind as fine examples of the trade.

Quarantine seem the most relaxed, albeit occasionally inconsistent.

Of course this doesn't affect you guys on domestic.

Snooze

Le Pilot
18th Mar 2004, 02:01
Interviews in PEK followed by SIM in CTU (Chengdu) next week. 16-20 candidates initially.

:E Visit to Devils Island: After the interview the company are offering a trip to Hainan. Bribery and corruption will get you everywhere!
Remember when Indira Ghandi offered a free radio and a coke for any male who offered himself for a vasectomy?(1976) Well when the batteries went flat and the coke was long gone... They couldn't undo the nip and tuck!

So anyone deciding to come here have to make sure that they want it for the long term... The company will impress you with their modern buildings, new aircraft and occasional generosity but at the end of the day you still living in a completely different culture. Food that is 99% Chinese (great for some of us), English speakers: less than 1% and no English speaking schools.
But if you like golf, tennis, basketball, cycling, table tennis, hanging out in bars and dicos.... Well Haikou is the place.
Single guys will have no problems... Married guys have to think carefully (particularly with school aged kids) Wives can work as English teachers(or french/German/spanish teachers)

More info: Hainan will (at time of press release) commence a code-sharing flight with Malev to Budapest in August.
BKK currently is a sunday only flight but should increase to 3 times per week next month.

Will be in Stockholm on sunday to lease/buy another 737 from SAS. Anybody for a Glug or Semla?:D

stable approach
18th Mar 2004, 07:36
LP,
Pity all the usual culprits from Stockholm have moved to HK.

Le Pilot
18th Mar 2004, 17:13
Stable Guy
SAS is the training center for KA!
;)

News: Hainan were supposed to buy/lease 3 ex SQ 747s this year- Due to Air China not wanting a few international routes like J'burg and the extra Dubai.
Now instead they will be Cargo versions for Yangtse River express (Those ugly green machines sitting in Pudong)

There's been a recent B777 evaluation and the Chairman has given the thumbs up! Press release soon.

Only thing is... HU don't have enough guys who are approved for intl ops (No can pass Ingris exam)
Maybe another recruitment drive?

I no feed you the raw prawn! :cool:

Capt Snooze
19th Mar 2004, 05:15
Hey LP,

Where is your sense of taste?

Yangtse River Express have a great colour scheme!!!!

Snooze
:= := :=

chrislikesblue
19th Mar 2004, 08:13
Anyone knows their contact address or email for recruitment?I have about 900 total flight time in piston-engine,do I stand any chance?If not there which company in Asia would consider hiring me?
Any advice appreciated.

Kaptin M
19th Mar 2004, 10:47
You might try Singapore Airlines, chris, or Cathay.

I think some of you guys should realise that unless you have some jet time (meaning several hundred hours at least, and total time >1,500 hrs), that it's probably far easier to pick up a job in your own country than it is overseas.
That may change over the next 12-18 months, imo, as the airlines' requirements soak up the current excess.

Things are starting to move now, and will hopefully continue to gather pace as the Baby Boomer generation slide off the top end of the scale.

Ivan Urge
19th Mar 2004, 15:34
LP, You seem hellbent on selling the job to people. I would hate to buy a used car from you. You not on the take are yu?

I think your point about the codeshare with Malev will attract several from that area. What I hear is that many applications sent but precious few 'up to scratch'.

Many moons ago a certain startup airline in Asia had no success with its first 20 or so candidates. The pay was ratcheted up to attract the right stuff, which did the trick.

One candidate turned up with what appeared to be suede shoes and a casual floral shirt for the interview. The shoes were not suede; they had not been polished for forty days and forty nights. One of the questions at his interview was; "What do you know about *****?".

The answer. "Lots... my grandmother was a comfort woman in the second world war" !! Wrong answer......

Next please.

Le Pilot
20th Mar 2004, 14:07
Read my lips (Words) I'm no agent... Not even a secret agent.

Kap knows me, you know me Urge and I'm friends with some the agents (sought of comes with all the visits they've made to Hainan) And some of my visits on invitation to Shenzhen.

When a gringo gets into town..It's like bloody Christmas (We don't have many). When HU have finished this bout of hiring the gringo population of Haikou would have more than doubled. I enjoy the company of the Chinese but you still like to kick back and have a conversation with somebody from outside of China...Another reason why I would like to see some more foreigners here.
I have a great life here. I can't help being positive and optimistic... The Airline is moving, improving their image, increasing their international flights, buying lots of new aircraft (Boeing Sales J*** C****** in town confirming the updated dual FMC system for our new aircraft) Also 8 A319s arriving in Jan to May next year. The 777 is going to happen as well as the rest of the HU 767s. They have the money. Problem is with all these Aircraft types we might end up like AN in OZ.

Ask the agencies about the clause on aircraft progression. How can anybody not be positive.

Am I the slimy salesman or somebody that enjoys what he's doing?

Being the owner of a JiangXiang m'cycle with side car which is dirt cheap (3500 RMB) and heeps of fun, taking the Giant bicycle for a ride down by Holiday beech and go out to the buffet dinner (Smoked salmon, Aussie beef, NZ Lamb etc etc)at the mandarin for 79RMB all inclusive. There sold a hotel and 2 bicycles...Must be a salesman.

The lifestyle is fine, the company is trying to please, so if I am the HU salesman well that's fine with me!!:p

cumulusse
23rd Mar 2004, 15:06
le pilote

could you check your PM...cheers

cumu

Le Pilot
5th Apr 2004, 03:53
Heard that ZH are being difficult.
Some Pilots sitting in their hotels/apartments waiting to start training. That's OK if you're getting paid.
No money, no job! & Some of them paying to escape their former masters. Hope ZH cleans up this mess.

And Urge are you still their or moved on? Rumour is it that there has been some resignations. Like some clarification from the ZH guys.

Anyway HU have just completed their first round of interviews and Sims.
Still Require 20+. 6 accepted at this stage. Possibly more interviews in May.

hagen
5th Apr 2004, 13:10
Le Pilot, please check your private msg box.
Hagen

Le Pilot
5th Apr 2004, 14:21
Half asleep at the moment but a few need some more info.. Here goes:

Salary USD 6500 Tax Paid by company.

8.27 RMB= 1USD
Some crumbs for allowances: 15-40 RMB per day's flying.
If in Sanya at the company hotel: 100-150RMB per day (Spent in the Hotel only)

Decent 3 BR Apartment 2400RMB per month. HNA give 1500RMB per month. You can get an older 2BR place for less than a 1000RMB per month. But you would'nt take anything for less than 1900RMB.

Hager: A place near the beach (Tian Hai Yuan) with 4BR and great facilities incl Pool and tennis court will set you back 3000RMB/mth

Cars were very expensive but due to WTO requirements, coming down to something quite reasonable... But the question is: who wants to drive? (obstacles are plentiful) I ride an old Chinese Motorbike and luckily the machine does no more than 75km/hr.

Haikou has practically no western food. Few English speaking folk. 2 KFCs and a McDonalds.
:yuk:
The Beach in Haikou is normally OK for swimming except for the occasional giant oil slick that gives you an instant tan!:ooh:
The people in Haikou are a lot more friendly than the places I've been on the mainland.
Drinking is enjoyed to a level that most westerners would consider overindulgence but generally only in the Bar streets on Hai Dien Island (Joined by a modern bridge to Haikou City)
Most Pilots smoke (particularly after somebody started a rumour about smoke protecting your lungs from SARS!!)

The company lacks experience in dealing with foreigners but they are rapidly getting better.

In some areas Hainan has it all over many Asian carriers (outside of Honkers) but with some of the basics they still need to get it right.

Ivan Urge
6th Apr 2004, 18:08
Still here but moved on to different routes or should that be different roots. Resignation yes; girl from accounts recently got offered command of the cafeteria. Said training would probably take six months or so and colleagues offered bypass pay but the union insisted she work outside the award to assist the company. Our Rio friends revolting, and quite justifiably so, as Naning is being offered. An ongoing test of the structural integrity of wingtips and undercarriage continues as is raw data flight in low visibility. Results to be published later. No-one sitting in hotels waiting- too busy being trained in all three seats. Lots of Aussies soon to arrive from VB as experienced NG drivers needed and new offer takes your breath away..... Momentarily.

Kaptin M
6th Apr 2004, 19:18
Great post, Ivan - btw what's the local red wine like? And is Panadol readily available?
Shouln't be too long before we get an answer to both I suspect! :}

Capt Snooze
7th Apr 2004, 02:12
Cappy,

The Great Wall 1999 Cab Sav at about A$5 a bottle is quite pleasant, but stay away from the Tibetan Dry. Suntime Manas Dry Red is a fine quaffing brew currently on special at about A$5 for 2 and a 1/2 bottles.

Haven't located a source for Panadol yet, but Tylenol is readily available

Woops, I thought for a moment you were serious. :D :D :D

Snooze

Oh, and how are we this morning Ivan?

LooseConnection
7th Apr 2004, 03:05
Yere Snooze that Tibetan Dry is really something aye :}

I believe it also affects your eyesight as well :E

Ivan Urge
7th Apr 2004, 03:29
KM, the red here you can actually drink and as Snooze says the Great Wall stuff is exceptional value at A$5. Must have had too much of it last night!! Great masseuses here too, especially from Tibet. They do fantastic massages with or without oil. Called one to my room the other night, trouble is she forgot the oil, so I had that particular Tibetan Dry!!!!! Latest news. Big Brother to be monitoring enhanced duration CVRs soon. Terminology borrowed from QF recently, as recent wingtip strength test deemed to be an incident. Panadol? Dont go popping any pills here. Viagra offered in the street here. Even if you needed to take Mycoxaflopping or Mydixadrooping, would you buy it here?

Le Pilot
8th Apr 2004, 04:26
Good to see ya in good spirits Ivan. I only drink imported wine (Tax free in HAK)
Beer here is great but cant find decent wine.
QARs, yes Hainan have had them since I've been here. They were using them as a form of punishment until some of the big shots got monitored.
;)

Ivan Urge
8th Apr 2004, 15:31
QARs not new. Long been a source of internal revenue for the airlines from the perps pockets. Knee jerk reaction to the wingtip structural integrity test has been the team of 'listeners' to the new CVRs and its associated gain in the financial bottom line of the company. Ommission of salient speach at appropriate moments will elicit invitations for tea and bikkies and to then pay for same. Trouble is, to who's bible does one pledge obedience. The scratch pad gets a lot more use now. Woz that you sighted leaving the box in PEK with other longnoses the other day? Ahhh imported wine........ reason to come to HAK for sure. Too many headaches from Great Wall.

Le Pilot
9th Apr 2004, 01:48
Urge

If the greener pastures arnt so green.. Give me a call.;)

Your soon to be ex-masters proved how tough a Boeing really is!

68RMB for a decent OZ or Chilean Chardonnay:\

Ivan Urge
10th Apr 2004, 16:07
Thanks for the thought LP.

BTW those still considering Shenzhen may wish to know hiring continues and from feedback I have had, one should go direct to Direct and avoid the others. They are the only professional agency working with the airline that has a (more-or-less) permanent presence there. F.S is very thorough and pleasant to deal with. The training has been streamlined somewhat as their experience with foreigners continues and the sim check is nowhere near the nightmare it once was.

Now where's that bottle of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon?

Kaptin M
11th Apr 2004, 00:30
"........and the sim check is nowhere near the nightmare it once was."
Umm, is that another way of saying, "They've lowered the standards.", Ivan? :eek:

Sorry to hear that you won't be making it to Bris. for the p!ssup, LP, although I hear that Budapest (not to be confused with Buddapist) is nice at this time of the year.
A little Hungarian bird told me that a lot of the money in Hainan is from a Hungarian gentleman by the name of George Soros - some of you MAY have heard of him ;) - and that MALEV will be supplying some aircraft (767's?) along with crew, to operate on behalf of your airline, LP.

The fact that Mr Soros is investing heavily there, and that the World Bank has indicated that some Asian countries are holding "vast" reserves of USD's (tens of trillions, apparently), AND that the good ol' USofA is complaining that the yuan is UNDER-valued, seem to me to be good reason to purchase some yuan and sit on them for some short-medium term gain.
Any comments from anyone?

LooseConnection
11th Apr 2004, 04:03
Hey Ivan, Chilean Chardonnay is available at the following:

Park & Shop Shekou
Rainbow Nan Shan
Wallmart's at Shekou & Nan Shan

Why ? would you want to drink that :mad: when the good Aussie Chard's and Red's are avail at the above outlets as well.

You must have a touch to much pollution ! :}

Capt Snooze
11th Apr 2004, 04:23
Hey Ivan,

Also available in the smaller grog shops around Shekou.
Try the one sext to Goodfella's..................

Or were you really looking for LP to maidan for you?

:cool: :cool:

Snooze

leftfrontside
11th Apr 2004, 05:48
Hey any of you guys know where I can get slabs of VB in the delta instead of lugging it up from Honkers - and getting the odd bit of grief coming through the Shekou customs. :\

Had enough Tsing Tao for a lifetime! :yuk:

Ivan Urge
11th Apr 2004, 20:59
Cap Snooze; actually I was hoping LP would maidan a maiden for me!!

Leftie I noticed too, no VB around here-must be aweful for you. Can you get it through a pharmacy, intraveinously perhaps?

Loose, yeh don't you just love that stench passing 15,000' on descent into the Pearl basin? Or are you doing it at low altitude all the time offshore?

Any of you dudes around on Sat night? Start at the Snake Pit sounds like a good idea to me- around 6pm. Have been the last to be kicked out of Goodfellas a few times recently, having done the last jig to the Irish Rovers. May be one last jig left in me, though sadly my jig partner has left.

Kap; For the benefit of others, coz I know you are not interested, the sim check is a real check now with all the usual suspects thrown in, unlike before. When it first heralded, it was done at an airport at 7,500' surrounded by mountains up to 20,000'. The charts were in Chinese, the F/D, A/P, A/T were all U/S and lo and behold, an engine simultaneously had a fire and failure at V2 in **** vis. You were then expected to follow this extremely complicated engine out escape and return to land procedure. Just when you thought you were comfortable on base leg, with all your ducks lined up, on one engine, IMC and hills impossibly close to you, the GPWS barks at you! Many ventured...... Standards? You got a bottle to discuss it over? I will be on the GC around the time of yr pissup-to-end-all-pissups taking delivery of a new house but depart that day (thankfully!!) so will miss it. Have a JDs or seven for me. Don't throw the speakers off the balcony this time; they have better sound if you carry them down the stairs!:ok:

freightdog
11th Apr 2004, 22:00
I have plenty of time on the 737, both Classic and NG, and a good job for a major airline. I'm an F/O but have a left seat type rating (B-737 3/900) and both FAA and JAR tickets. Thing is that I flew and lived worldwide for many years and still have an itch for adventure. I can get a LOA for a few years, but would prefer the left seat. Will these outfits deviate from the 500 hour rule at all?:D

Kaptin M
11th Apr 2004, 23:46
Yes Ivan, "The Don" has kept us informed - Congratulations...and as you've twisted my arm, I'll have those JD's for you! :ok: You might be able to get back into wind-surfing a LOT more regularly again.

I remember the rough scenario of the sim ride you (and those early "pioneers") were subjected to - what do you think was their "rationale" - or was it just another example of bastardry of Western devils to prove their obvious superiority? A common trait in this part of the world, it would appear.

By the way, Yukawa has re-located to across the road from where your previous Penthouse stands - just not enough hours some nights!! Re-cycling is a wonderful thing isn't it!

Sorry to to other readers, if some of this appears to be in code - it's NOT. It's just the way one starts talking, after having lived in the area for extended periods.

Note to freightdog:- IF you do manage to get a job with some of these newer operators, after having flown with the "odd" one or two other expats you'll wonder if some them have ever flown ANY aircraft, and have 5 hours in the lhs - let alone 500.
"Creative accounting" is one probable explanation!

LooseConnection
12th Apr 2004, 04:43
Hey Ivan good to hear you have that SIM finally sorted - remember though, real aeroplanes don't have hubcaps ! :}

Can't make the Pit Sat night duty calls but sometime soon may be good. I have to go back and finish the other half of a bottle of Jamisons which topped me off a few weeks back - now what the f...........k happened to that Sun. :ugh:

The jig girls getting a little expensive are they? New phone (with bells and whistles), clothes from Manhar, shoes etc etc.
I wondered why you mentioned that "mouthwash" Great Wall.

Leftie you can get VB at Park and Shop about Y16 a stubbie! :ok:

Capt Snooze
12th Apr 2004, 05:04
Can't do the 'Pit on Sat either. You guys get weekends off ??
Hafta be another time.

Loosy, I gotta agree about the hubcaps.
:yuk: :yuk:

Snooze

Le Pilot
12th Apr 2004, 07:51
:p It's starting to sound like an AA get together in Shenzhen.

Here on the Devil's Isle we may not have VB but the Tiger and Anchor comes on tap:E

Lau Wai's of SHENZHEN - Invitation
All you suffering souls require some RNR, you're more than welcome.. Accomodation supplied (Max 5) Make some time and fly down here.. 350RMB (plus 50 tax) SZX-HAK.. I'll pick you up.Lau Wai's of Shenzhen
Make some time 24hrs or 24 days.:ok:

Kaptin M
12th Apr 2004, 10:50
Le Pilot said, "I'll pick you up.Lau Wai's of Shenzhen

WHOOP WHHOP

Because Le P ALSO wrote:- "Being the owner of a Jiang Xiang m'cycle with side car..."
...and (myself) being somewhat familiar with LP's behavioral characteristics pre and post Al-K-Hall, would suggest that, as an alternative to his "kind" offer, you might also consider
(a)walking;
(b)crawling;
(c)renting a bicycle;
(d)hiring a charter aircraft;
(d)relocating;
(e)politely refusing.

Oops...sorry, there was one other option, but for legal reasons I refrained from suggesting it...
(f)taking a taxi:mad: :{ :uhoh:

Le Pilot
12th Apr 2004, 13:24
And for this week I carry Insurance;)

Kap..I've never killed anybody ..more than once!!

:D I do have access to a car (German with brakes... Ohhh and a serviceable horn!):ok:

Ivan Urge
12th Apr 2004, 18:55
Hubcaps? Thats not what they are. That is the standby main landing gear:ouch:

So you guys must have unholy control of the three holey thing then. Is that extra thing up there an APU or what?;) You guys doing that blast to Macau must leave the gear down for that sector its so short.

German breaks (sic) ? LP I'm definitely coming to HAK if Helga the Kraut picks me up in the sidecar. Dis iz ze only vay! And what would the Vne of that beast be with five expats on board? Is the side-car plumbed with Tiger and Anchor on tap? :ok:

LooseConnection
12th Apr 2004, 23:32
Ivan, that 3 holey thing only has 3 speeds:

140kts, 250kts (cause we gotta) and Very, Very Fast.

Which freaks out the Honky Controllers :E

Ivan Urge
13th Apr 2004, 12:29
Jeez... Who wants to fly fast? It costs us money here, as a frequent fuel saver rewards program is in force. The latest rankings reveal our Rio boys know how do it! We don't go near the barbers pole, but my girlfriend likes the barbers approach!!!!

Honky controllers....

Now you are freaking me out! "Daaarling, you are cleared to land.. but pleeeease be a good boy and call me after landing", as Abba's Dancing Queen plays in the background.:cool:

uncle bobo
18th Apr 2004, 01:40
Le Piloto
What, no new posts? Reading about dragon land and paradise isle are the only entertainment I get anymore. (-; ya didn't get that moto scooter stoked up on baijiu again now did ya. Ya know those durn things can do some wild stunts with a couple eye droppers of maotai in the petrol. Always remember only 6 local shaojies or 4 belarussians max or you may loose a couple in the turns.
Ganbei:)

Le Pilot
18th Apr 2004, 10:10
Just give me a double-double!

8 Canadians and a second Officer..That's the record. From the Club back home!.. One hell of a bike! Nearly lost the SO as he grimly held on to the spare!
:O
Uncle Bobo you're the reason why I still dwell on the Devil's Isle waiting (With the Minsk Water Ballet company) For your return.

The last page of this post makes us all out to be a bunch of cowboys.... Well where's my hat and steed?;)

If you can't laugh, best you stay home. If you don't take life too seriously or just want to run away from your missus..Then come on down to the land that time forgot:E

If you need to know the seedy spots in town then PMs to Uncle Bobo plse. :cool:
We, including my esteemed colleagues in SZX all have qualifications in consumption of fermented beverages... :\ Baijiu!! They said it was Chinese wine... Now wine..Say 12.5% Alcohol, 4 large glasses per hour.. I can handle that!
All was correct except Baijiu..Not wine but rotten Sorghum and 56% Alcohol..

:yuk: I recovered with my Baijiu type rating and a new found respect for my porcelain steering wheel.:O

Now can we get back to the subject!!:D

uncle bobo
18th Apr 2004, 14:20
A double double, your bringing a tear to my eye. I'm marooned on waikiki for a couple days and can't seem to get a work over even close for a hundred times the Haikou rates. Just spoiled I guess. Nothing like little toes squishing through your sacrailiac joint. Hope all is well
Cheers

Le Pilot
24th Apr 2004, 01:55
Well it appears Shenzhen have upped the stakes.
New salary is better than Hainan.. Well the housing allowance is more. US$6500 plus 4000RMB Accom.

For all those waiting on the HU expansion... It is at the 11th hour. Hiring more soon.

Hopefullly ZH leave some guys for HU!;)

Salary will continue to improve. Locals getting a pay increase too!(More than 40% for some!!)

LooseConnection
27th Apr 2004, 02:28
Hey guys us "trash haulers" are wondering why the Chinese pilots are scared "sh@#%^less" of getting anywhere near another a/c on the ground.

Do they have an odd SOP we don't know about ?

eg. other night 3 a/c on taxiway H Baoan and they were parked so as to f%&k up the whole taxiway waiting to T/O, 1 at A another 200m behind and the 3rd in front of the terminal 300m further back. If they did that at most places in the Western World the Controllers would have a coronary !

At least 10 a/c could have used that space, what's the story ? :confused:

ps the"Pit" is a possibility this Sat

fiddlair
15th May 2004, 08:30
Le Pilote,

Did you enjoy your stay in Bucharest?

Le Pilot
16th May 2004, 12:21
Hungary.. No thank you, I've eaten

Nice place. HU starts flying from PEK to BUD in 2 months time.

Just need the Pilots!
6 B737 guys waiting for their commencement dates... 2 months now.
Hu to take 6 B767 Capts as well.

Deske
16th May 2004, 15:24
Budapest or Bucharest :uhoh: Not the same.

Dear Le Pilot is it true that pilots were requested from my airline by Hainan?

Le Pilot
17th May 2004, 05:14
Deske
There is no formal contact between our carriers. ...Some informal:}

Hainan have not changed their terms & conditions since last year. So Shenzhen have now past HU with a slightly better package.

Sorry I havn't been on the prune for awhile. An earlier posting here was erased for some reason:confused:
So thought I was being censored for telling the facts.

Anyway I was on and around the Danube for 11 days helping HU get a foothold in Europe..... The tanks will be rolling thru in 2 months:E

Deske, pleased with your move? Or are you in transition?

Deske
20th May 2004, 03:27
Hello,

Till now,I didnt left my current employer,I am still at the partner airline of Hainan.

STOKKEN
31st May 2004, 09:41
All those contemplating SZ beware. One very unscupulous Agency is making you sign a contract before you go to the Interview "otherwise THEY will ban you from entering the PRC" !!:confused: :confused:

Hmm what happens if you fail because of all the usual stuff you know kidney stones, doing normal stuff in the Sim etc?? does that mean you have a contract still...?? bet not... are these Pimps so desperate for a bite of the cherry. The cherry is turning very sour in my eyes. I dont think we should be blackmailed. What say you Le Pilote is it the same for your outfit??

To be honest a bit confused here.... don`t think I have ever signed a contract before an Interview. :D

Le Pilot
1st Jun 2004, 10:12
No agency can ban you from entering the PRC. They are only the middle men. They have no power. They need the Pilots.

Whatever happens: If you have the 500PIC B737Classic or NG: remember to shop around. Agencies are offering different contracts. THIS IS NOW A PILOT'S MARKET!!

Have to watch my "p" & "q's" but you definately will not encounter any of these problems in HU.

HNA have just formed a group of 3 managers to oversee the wellfare of the new Pilots.
They are trying their best to please.

Sorry, Foot massages only. no dancing girls!:D

brazilian
28th Jun 2004, 03:27
Hi Le Pilot.
I'd like to have some news about the whole hiring process of Shenzhen airlines. I've heard they've been hiring lots of Brazilian pilots. Do you have some addresses to me, like e-mail?
Thanks

Le Pilot
29th Jun 2004, 23:33
Shenzhen are hiring but not directly. Particularly Brazilians!
Try the agencies.
:cool:

brazilian
29th Jun 2004, 23:58
Thanks Le Pilot

varigflier
30th Jun 2004, 00:29
What agencies are they hiring from??