PDA

View Full Version : What goes up, might come down.......David gunson.

Big Red ' L '
2nd Jun 2001, 08:14
I just got hold of a copy of his tape, What goes up, might come down. Its very funny.

David gunson takes his work at Birmingham international very seriously. He's been an Air Traffic Controller for approximatley twelve years, and says he's determined to stick at it until he gets it right......

David is in great demand as an after dinner speaker; his humour is based on fact-often mischievously - as with a wry smile he informs us that, "We force them down narrow corridoors, therby greatly increasing the risk of collision, while at the same time justifying the job of the Air traffic controllers to keep them apart.".....
The tape is recorded live at a meeting of the Solihull Round Table, March 1981.

Anyone would like a copy, let me know.....

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

[This message has been edited by Big Red ' L ' (edited 02 June 2001).]

Skytrucker87
2nd Jun 2001, 10:24
Totally agree with you. Just a sad thought though - I seem to recall that DG died a few years ago. Still, one of the funniest recordings in my collection.

HugMonster
2nd Jun 2001, 14:45
BRL, I'd love a copy, please. Years ago I lent mine to my then Chief Pilot, and never got it back. Never trust a smiling Chief Pilot.

Email me - I'll give turning it into a CD a go if anyone's interested in that...

I had the rare privilege a few years ago of hearing DG live. Most of his material was as per the tape, but some new stuff. A very funny man!

Wile E. Coyote
2nd Jun 2001, 15:38
I suppose you could actually buy a copy so the guy gets some well-deserved royalties. :rolleyes:

Tower records sell the CD for about 9

[This message has been edited by Wile E. Coyote (edited 02 June 2001).]

MACH777
2nd Jun 2001, 16:13
Have heard it many times and I think it it one of the best speeches on the lighter side of aviation. I especially found his last final idea on why concorde has 'snowed' windows for the toilet. It makes you wonder doesn't it?

Squawk 8888
3rd Jun 2001, 01:41
In a related matter, anybody know where I can get a tape of Bob Newhart's "Air Traffic Controller"? Caught a 30-second clip of it and was it stitches.

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

HugMonster
3rd Jun 2001, 03:46
Don't have a branch of Tower Records in this area. Been looking on the net - can't find David Gunson in Barnes & Noble, Amazon, EBay or a host of others. I can't find Tower Records website either - I know they have one... anyone have the URL?

Wile E. Coyote
3rd Jun 2001, 16:08
http://uk.towerrecords.com/

Search for "david gunson" The CD is 9.15

According to
http://www.ukacts.com/asp/acts/index.asp?act=1246&cat=5 and http://www.celtic.hemscott.net/davidgunson.html
he's still going strong.

Shall we ask the pprune hq crew to get him to appear at a bash? :)

[This message has been edited by Wile E. Coyote (edited 03 June 2001).]

mik
3rd Jun 2001, 16:26
http://www.7dayshop.com/acatalog/7dayshop_com_Comedy_317.html have the CD for 7.20

7dayshop are a damn good place to buy 35mm film from (which they call "camera food"), prices are typically 50-70% of UK high st.

HugMonster
3rd Jun 2001, 18:47
Thanks for that - I've ordered it from my local HMV

PS - Good idea, Wile E.

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 03 June 2001).]

Radar Departure2
3rd Jun 2001, 18:48
I first heard this tape back in the early 80's, and yes, it's hysterical. BUT, can anyone confirm for me that the orator was in fact a controller?

The story I heard was that he was a highly paid after-dinner speaker who, given a few weeks notice for research would turn up with a plausible sounding speech for any occasion.

Anybody know the real truth?

RD

"C'mon Pierre, I have 30 for you;"
"I accept zem"
"Knockout! You are back at work?"
"Affirmative; we came back to work on Saturday...... it's been VERY quiet here...."

HugMonster
3rd Jun 2001, 18:52
RD, yes, he was most definitely a controller. Not sure if he was a military controller or aircrew first, but then LATCC and then BHX. I know one or two guys who've worked him.

Ed Winchester
3rd Jun 2001, 21:19
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I know one or two guys who've worked him. </font>

I bet you do, Huggy.

HugMonster
3rd Jun 2001, 21:28
One of them ended up as an MOR!

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Velvet
3rd Jun 2001, 23:19
Yes, the bit with the French Traffic Controllers was hilarious

'I speet upon your 20 planes'

His explanation of being a self-employed civil servant was a classic.

I remember hearing the tape some years ago -
and yes he definitely was an ATCO a BHX. A friend of mine knew him quite well.

Wile E - you're not David are you? Good idea if we could get him to attend a bash (guest of honour maybe - since he's given us all so much hilarity).

Big Red, if you could bring a copy to the GatBash, just in case I can't get hold of one I'd much appreciate it.

-----------
It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

pjdj777
4th Jun 2001, 00:41
One of my fave CDs to listen to late at night when I've had a few beers. I have a copy of the CD (also available from Transair for about a tenner I think), I'll bring it along to the Bash next week :)

WRT Mr Gunson's whereabouts, I heard he was running a shop somewhere in the West Country (Crewkerne??) can anyone confirm this? I'd like to go down there and shake him by the hand.

My fave quotes:

"Airports are difficult to hide, however, you can put billboards up but people tend to notice the odd jet flying in and out. Consequently the Government knows where 80% of the UK's airports are."

"I don't play golf, the only time I've ever hit two balls straight in a row was when I stood on a rake."

"Pan Am are the only airline in America not to make a loss - Pan Am make a negative profit. We've gone for this in a big way."

[This message has been edited by pjdj777 (edited 03 June 2001).]

Wile E. Coyote
4th Jun 2001, 17:33
Velvet,

No, I'm not David. ;)

Big Red ' L '
4th Jun 2001, 18:05
Wile E. Coyote Quite a few people have e-mailed me for a copy. When i send them a copy, I will of course ask them to buy the cd and supply the website address where they can buy it.

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

What_does_this_button_do?
6th Jun 2001, 14:39
I like the one about why they didn't make a military Concorde - because it would shoot itself down.

- By the way this the whole thing is on Napster.