PDA

View Full Version : nesting quotes

Onan the Clumsy
4th Jan 2004, 21:39
Just wondered if you could place another quote within a quote

Didn't there used to be a testing area for this kind of stuff?

TheStormyPetrel
5th Jan 2004, 00:03
I'm not answering your original question, as I have no idea (being a relative newcomer). However, isn't it sort of a test when you choose "Preview Reply" rather than "Submit Reply" once you've finished preparing your post? However, I do realise you would know about this facility already despite your lowly posting count :p so I include it merely for anyone else reading this who hasn't noticed that option.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2004, 05:30
Onan the Clumsy,

I am not really sure what it is you are asking. Please better explain "Testing Area".

Take Care,

Richard

Front_Seat_Dreamer
6th Jan 2004, 04:22
Onan how did you manage to knock a couple of digits from your tally of posts?

Timothy
6th Jan 2004, 04:44
I don't know how Onan the Clumsy did it (come to think of it, I really don't want to know how Onan the Clumsy does it :yuk: :uhoh: :p ) but deleting posts, or a thread originator or moderator deleting a thread will reduce the post count.

Will

Onan the Clumsy
6th Jan 2004, 20:41
TCS Yes, I think it must've been on another board I used to visit.

SP Good point. I used that once, but I've never really thought about it much since.

NAC I saw a forum once where you could test out ideas. For instance you can select small, large or huge for the size when posting, but actually, you can use tags directly up to size=7. Likewise the posting page only offers Arial, Times, Courier or Century yet you can use tags to get other fonts directly if you want. I guess I'm just inquisitive.

FSD Wasn't really my doing if you know what I mean. I dared to talk about my Aunt Mary ;) but I'm telling people I just count in units of 100 now. :p

WC I think they just pull up the profile record and edit the count directly. :ugh:

TheStormyPetrel
6th Jan 2004, 20:48
Onan, you tease.

You gave us a good demonstration of the fact that you can "use tags", as you said, but you forgot to tell us how. (or is it really obvious? - I'm looking all around this window as I compose, but can't see how to use "tags".)

Please explain.

Late edit - just testing the idea of choosing any size and then once it is on the post being composed, changing the number
testing, testing

Wow, it worked. But how do you change the font type?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jan 2004, 00:11
Onan the Clumsy,

Ever since PPRuNe switched the forums to vBulletin, the only way to test the formatting of a post was with the Preview Reply.

Take Care,

Richard

Onan the Clumsy
7th Jan 2004, 01:18
SP Seeing as it's you...

You just simply select one of the four available fonts (which are typefaces really :8 ), type your text and then change the font name in the FONT= tag to the font of your choice. Same as you did with the SIZE= tag.

You can use WORD or EXCEL to preview your fonts, but note that they might not all work.

NAC Not so much really an issue of the software behind the board. The case I saw had a forum called TESTING or something where you could post test messages. I wonder if anyone else read them.

btw, I also tried [br] <br> [p] and <p> which as you can see have no effect. :( I'm working at it though :E

Timothy
7th Jan 2004, 02:07
Onan

I think that it's fairly clear from the ]QUOTE[ tag that we are not talking vanilla HTML or anything much like it. I think that they have just used HTML as a starting point for their own mark-up tags (as opposed to specifically disabling things like <TD> and <TR>.

BTW, did you know that Onan was not smitten for masturbation? There is no reference to that in the Bible at all. His crime was Coitus Interruptus, when he had a duty to propagate the tribes of Israel, with his sister-in-law.

Will

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jan 2004, 02:58
Onan the Clumsy,

It looks like the option to post using HTML has been disabled in these forums. (It is something that the Admin turns on in the Forum Setup.)

There is a Normal Mode and an Enhanced Mode under vB Code, you could give that a shot and see if it helps.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I think I remember there being a Test Forum when PPRuNe first switched over to vBulletin, I think it was for testing problems from the changeover or something like that. I am sure the mods will be able to give more info.