View Full Version : Duke of Westminster.

Davey Emcee
4th Jan 2004, 21:25
I see on page 70 of the Sunday Times Magazine a picture of
The Duke of Westminster.
Can anyone say when he completed his Army pilots course ?

gijoe
5th Jan 2004, 00:52
I believe that he did a short pilots course and therefore didn't do a whole course. He's about Col rank in the TA and loaded beyond belief...so I guess that bought him the course.

G:D

FJJP
5th Jan 2004, 04:45
Actually, he's a Brigadier General....

snafu
5th Jan 2004, 05:19
I thought Brigadier General was the US Army rank for what we just call Brigadier?

Scud-U-Like
5th Jan 2004, 05:53
The Duke of Westminster joined the TA, without fanfare, as an ordinary soldier, many years ago, gained a commission and has steadily progressed to his current rank of Brigadier, Director Reserve Forces and Cadets (incidentally, succeeding Brigadier Richard Holmes, of "War Walks" fame, in that Command). The guy is a Duke and worth £5billion, so I doubt pretension is high on his list of priorities.

breakscrew
5th Jan 2004, 17:39
Among all the other duties that he undertakes, the Duke is the Honorary Regimental Colonel of 7 Regt AAC(V), the Territorial Regiment of the Army Air Corps. He did an abbreviated pilots course (usual AAC 'Senior Officers Course) with them in 1999/2000. Maj Rod Lambert was his instructor. He was then presented with his wings.

NURSE
5th Jan 2004, 22:55
There is alot of stories about the Duke of Westminster's TA career. Things like him Buying his Squadron all it Fox and CVRT vehicles because he did not like the Expected date in service for his Squadron. Or his FFR green NATO green and Black Range Rover. But when I think it was the Royal Yeomanry of which he was CO received its Scimitars he inspected the everyone and saw the maintanence records he saw that there was a huge amount of servicing and repairs needed and sent the whole lot back and told the vehicle depot to return them when this work had been done. I don't think to many regular CO's would have done that.
I have heard nothing bad about him he appears to be a highly competent officer who would have gone far had he joined the regular army.

adrian mole
5th Jan 2004, 23:14
I've met the guy several times over the years when he 'staged' through Lyneham, both as a TA officer and civilian. No pretensions or abuse of his position. A genuinely nice bloke who will start a conversation with anyone and puts them at ease.

BEagle
5th Jan 2004, 23:24
aka Gerald Grosvenor, worth about £5 billion - but a very nice chap who works hard for the clear benefit of many people in all walks of life.

That OK, Sir? Cheque will do nicely......;)

FJJP
6th Jan 2004, 03:34
Although we routinely refer to the rank as 'Brigadier', the correct full title is 'Brigadier General'. Followed by 'Sergeant Major General' (abbreviated to Major General) 'Lieutenant General' and finally General. It was a natural progression through the rank structure, but over the years was abbreviated to the present titles.

Scud-U-Like
6th Jan 2004, 06:36
FJJP

You may not know your ranks, but at least you know your history. :D

FJJP
6th Jan 2004, 06:50
S-U-L, ta very much for the compliment. Fascinating subject - especially RN history, for they tend to jealously guard their history and traditions. But that could be the subject of a new thread, perhaps triggered by a knowledgable RN historian...