PDA

View Full Version : Chop your tail off.

bugdevheli
4th Jan 2004, 06:25
In view of the distinct possibility of chopping your tail off should you provoke a low G condition in certain machines. Which machine do Pruners suggest is more foregiving under such circumstances. Yes I know you should not do it anyway!, but lets say you did!

Blue Rotor Ronin
4th Jan 2004, 09:15
Blunt blades are always a help... Redraven
:ok:

flyer43
5th Jan 2004, 04:26
Bugdev

Other than trying to impress the crowds at an airshow, or wanting to make a big impression in the ground :( , have you a plan to make use of such a manoeuver, and if so where????

bugdevheli
5th Jan 2004, 05:23
NO, dont want to try it!! Just seems the 22 is more prone to this situation than other makes. Maybe it is because there are more 22s in use than say Enstroms or Hughes etc, so I wondered if the head design of the 22 magnified this problem or if other makes carried the same warnings. I dont recall seeing these warning signs on other makes.

RDRickster
5th Jan 2004, 07:42
Any two-bladed system is subject to mast bumping secondary to a low-G condition. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that the Robbies are more prone to this condition than other two-bladed systems.

NickLappos
5th Jan 2004, 09:51
RD
It really isn't the number of blades that determines the low G capability, it's the type of rotorhead. Any teetering rotor or gimbled rotor where the blades flap about the mast (the hinge is at the mast) has literally no control if there is no thrust. This means that as the rotor produces less and less thrust, the control of the rotor deminishes. BY zero G, the blades just flop around and can chop into the fuselage.

Articulated and "rigid" systems such as the Boelkow have lots of cyclic control, even when they produce no lift, so they can rotate the fuselage when they are flapped using the cyclic. This makes the fuselage rotate away from those blades, preventing blade strikes while allowing control.

The property of control without thrust is counter to the school book theory (quite wrong) that the rotor tilts and the tilted lift produces the control. This tilt stuff is only true for teetering rotors, all the rest are quite able to produce control when lift is low.