PDA

View Full Version : Training Questions

1skydive
4th Jan 2004, 00:32
Hi all,

Hopefully this is the correct forum. I'm a Brit and have been living in the US for about 10 years now. I originally moved here to train as a commercial pilot, but life (and marriage) seemed to get in the way. Finally, I'm in a position to get going on this life long dream. I have a couple of questions that maybe you could answer.

1. Other than the obvious cost benefits to learn to fly in the US, are there any other benefits one way or another of learning in the UK over the US? Ultimately, I would like to move back to the UK but this isn't something that needs to be done immediately.

2. The conversion of licence seems to be a question that is raised quite a bit. Can anyone break it down simply as to what needs to be done in the US that would differ from training in the UK? I see that there are CAA/JAA schools in the US, which would seem to me to be a better choice than non-CAA/JAA rated schools (any school recommendations gratefully accepted).

3. It seems to me from reading the forums that in the US a newly licensed pilot becomes a flying instructor for 6 months-2 years or so while they build time. However, it doesn't seem like this is the case in the UK. Once licenced, pilots in the UK seem to go after the entry-level airline type jobs. Is this a fair assessment and if so, why is it so different? Is there any benefit for me to move back to the UK to look for a job once qualified or is building time as a flight instructor in the US the way to go?

4. Just out of curiosity, do the answers to the above questions apply to both fixed wing and helicopter training or do they differ; basically, do fixed wing or helicopter pilots fare better when looking for jobs in both the UK and US?

Cheers for all your help and advice.

Rob.
:ok: