PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my PC shut down?

aiglon
4th Jan 2004, 00:05
I am running w98 se on an AMD 600MHz processor with 128Mb RAM and the machine has just started refusing to shut down properly. Basically, when I select Shut Down from the Start menu, evrything is fine until the 'Windows 98 is shutting down' screen, then it just sits there doing nothing. I have to swithch the unit off manually - this results in Scandisk running on startup because "Windows was not shut down properly". This used to happen once in a while but now it seems to be happening all the time.

Any ideas?

Aiglon

ORAC
4th Jan 2004, 00:30
Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;238096)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Jan 2004, 02:36
Aiglon,

How long ago did you do the Win98SE install? (Was it an upgrade or a fresh install from the cabs?)

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
4th Jan 2004, 13:54
It wants you to keep on PPRuNe-ing :}

aiglon
5th Jan 2004, 03:30
Thanks for the advice - I will work my way through the MS page to see if any of that helps. Ironically, the last couple of times it has shut down perfectly :confused:

TCS,

Yes, I recently (couple of days ago) installed a CD Writer but I had been having these shutdown problems intermittantly before that.

Naples Air Center,

I had to do a complete reinstall of W98 about three months ago after my old HD died and I had to install a new one.

Hey ho - part of the fun of using Windows, I guess :D

Aiglon

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2004, 06:40
Aiglon,

3 months is not too long for Win98SE. I would try pulling out the new CD Burner and see if you have better luck shutting down. (I just want to eliminate the Burner as the possible cause.)

Take Care,

Richard