PDA

View Full Version : What is a 'CAPI driver'?

BOAC
3rd Jan 2004, 23:02
I'm trying to set up Winfax Pro 10 to send faxes via my BT Voyager broadband modem. It tell me that I do not have the correct 'CAPI' driver.

Can anyone tell me what this is, what it does and how I get it for W2000 please? AOL told me 'it is on your W200 cd' - I cannot find it.

Spitoon
3rd Jan 2004, 23:32
Dunno what a CAPI driver is - a MAPI thing is involved with telephony stuff though.

I suspect the real problem is that, AFAIK, you can't send fax over broadband. I have a broadband modem but hept the old 56K dial-up precisely for this purpose (and for those odd occasions when the broadband doesn't want to work).

BOAC
4th Jan 2004, 01:05
Spitoon - thanks for the reply - yes, I have kept my 56k modem as well, and I guess I mis-understood the AOL blurb which said 'you can fax on line too'. It is just a nuisance to have to come off b/band to fax. :ugh:

Mac the Knife
4th Jan 2004, 14:04
Why not get an inexpensive standalone thermal fax machine? It's a lot less hassle than farting around with faxing apps (none of which I can get to work consistently). Prices start around 50 quid and the paper costs almost nothing. Much simpler.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Jan 2004, 14:21
BOAC,

To expand on what Mac the Knife said, you can find Fax Machines and interface with your comp, and let you fax from your comp and even scan straight into your comp.

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
4th Jan 2004, 16:38
Thanks all - I guess that is the solution. My 'faxing' needs are few, however, so I may just put up with coming out of b/b to do it. I has hoped that the wondrous b/b would enable dual use as it does with the telephone.

I'd still like to know a bit more about 'CAPI' as there is very little info on Google?

ORAC
4th Jan 2004, 20:16
What is CAPI (http://www.capi.org/pages/whatscapi.php)

Memetic
5th Jan 2004, 04:06
You do not need to come off of broadband to use the line for Fax.

Our office uses the line the ADSL is carried over as its fax line with no problem at all.

Assuming you are on ADSL as opposed to ISDN of course!

However I am not aware of an ADSL "modem" that lets you use it as a fax modem too, ADSL uses a completley different set of frequencies to a standard data / fax modem.

So just connect the 56k modem / fax modem to the PC as usual and then into to your adsl line via a splitter as if it were a telephone, you may need a double socket to share the splitter with the phone.

As CAPI means COMMON-ISDN-API could you perhaps be trying to install some ISDN fax software as opposed to conventional fax software? - WARNING I read no further than the definition of CAPI on the page so that is a guess! If that is not the case google shows up serveal sets of CAPI drivers. Search for the manufacturer of your modsem and CAPI driver.

Good luck! or try fax to email and www.tpc.int !