PDA

View Full Version : WINWORD Won't Word!

oncemorealoft
3rd Jan 2004, 20:30
Here's a mystery...

Returned to the home office PC today to write a letter and tried to open Word from the desktop shortcut. The system locked up and I got an error message saying the computer was running dangerously low on resources and did I want to terminate the programme that was not responding. However, everything was frozen so the only way out was Control Alt Delete.

I'm runningWindows ME on a Dell Dimension L800CXE.

I checked the resources in the System tool of the Control Panel and that says I had 90% free.

Also, I tried opening a new word document through the Microsoft Works portfolio and that worked fine. From there it was also possible to open other previously created word documents from files.

However, trying to open any Word document in a file or on the desktop by clicking on the icon for it causes the same problem. As does tring to open from the winword.exe ico in the programme file.

I'm not aware of anything that's happened to cause this glitch and at the end of the day it is still possible to use Word but slightly more cumbersome to open documents.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

oncemorealoft

Spitoon
3rd Jan 2004, 23:36
Haven't come across this myself but I would suggest uninstalling and then re-installing (or repairing first, if that's an option) Word. All fairly safe stuff that shouldn't cause more problems than it solves. But then again it's Microsoft ..... it's probably a good idea to back up your system beforehand if you can!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Jan 2004, 02:28
oncemorealoft,

You said you used CTRL+ALT+DEL but I could not tell if you just shut down programs from there or rebooted. I just wanted to make sure you rebooted and it still caused the same problem. If it did, then follow Spitoon's suggestion.

Take Care,

Richard

oncemorealoft
4th Jan 2004, 03:23
Thanks Richard, I was hoping that you'd be around.

Yes, each time I've got locked into the problem, I've contol, alt, deleted and rebooted, only to have the same problem again.

I can't reload the software as the kids have lost a couple of the disks (well I blame them any way! :D ). Would a Scandisk fix any problem?

Thanks

oncemorealoft

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Jan 2004, 04:41
oncemorealoft,

Do you change the settings in Word often? Reason I ask is, every time you change a setting it makes a change to the template TCS mentioned.

One way to tell normal.dot is getting very large is if it takes a relatively long time to load Word and you see the word window resize itself several times when it opens. (This was a problem with the older versions of word.)

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
4th Jan 2004, 04:45
Better still download openoffice.org and ditch M$. I did. :ok:

oncemorealoft
5th Jan 2004, 05:38
Well, I searched for normal.dot and found two files which I deleted and now everything is fine. Thanks all.

Oncemoreloft

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2004, 06:48
oncemorealoft,

That is great news!

Take Care,

Richard