PDA

View Full Version : Help with EZ Antivirus/Freeserve clash please

Scottie Dog
2nd Jan 2004, 21:45
Anu help on this subject would be gratefully appreciated - as Computer Associates are basically useless in answering any specific questions.

Situation is as follows (if I remember correctly, as this is on behalf of my father who is 200 miles away and uses a different system to myself):

1/ Operating programme is Windows XP
2/ Internet provider is Freeserve.

The problem:

When running Computer Associate EZ Antivirus in Realtime Mode (how else should you be running it!) it prevents Internet Access. When you try to do a dialup, you can hear the Freeserve host answer, but then access is denied.

The attempts at to resolve the problem have been (as suggested by Computer Associates):

1/ To set ALG to manual - yes, already done.

No firewall is being run - so, as far as I can tell, ALG should not really have been a problem.

When my father used the previous version of the Antivirus, I honestly cann't recall it's name, he had no problems.

Any help that anyone can give - please bear in mind that I am not overly computer literate, and my father at 87 is even less so! - would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Scottie Dog

ps - Happy New Year to everyone.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
4th Jan 2004, 21:42
Scottie Dog

I would suggest the following

1. Uninstall EZ which is obviously causing problem.

2. Go to AVG Antivirus (http://www.grisoft.com) Register then download the program wait for the email with your license and then hopefully your problems will be gone.

I hope that uninstalling EZ will let you get internet access again but drop by here if you have further problems.