PDA

View Full Version : First Solo or First Solo X/C. Which was best?

mattd2k
2nd Jan 2004, 09:53
Having started my PPL in November, I was keen to enter my story in the recent ‘First Solo’ thread. Although it felt great when I completed mine, it wasn’t particularly eventful and I didn’t feel it worthy of a post. I also felt that the whole event of the first solo flight was very much over-hyped when I got back afterwards.

However, on New Years Eve I did my first solo cross-country which was the flight that really blew me away. This seemed so much more special having actually been somewhere as opposed to just buzzing around in the circuit on my own. When I got down my FI asked how it went to which I replied “F***ing fantastic, can’t wait to do it again”. His response to this was to go and plan another flight and get back up there. By the end of the day I had spent just under 3 hours flying around in the Florida sunshine on my own. For me it was an excellent way to end 2003.

Did anyone else feel this way about their first solo’s or have interesting stories about their first XC?

FlyingForFun
2nd Jan 2004, 16:17
Matt,

Had you been expecting your first solo for some time?

My experience was the oposite to yours - I enjoyed my QXC, but it was the first solo that blew me away. I wasn't expecting it at all - doing circuits, instructor said to make the next one a full stop, then he took control as I was taxying back, and turned back towards the runway threshold as he told me that he was going to get out :eek:

I know that you are not alone in finding the first solo to be not quite as much of a climax as you'd expected, and I've often wondered if the "surprise" element, or lack of it, might be a factor?

FFF
--------------