PDA

View Full Version : Can wives work?

DDDOF
1st Jan 2004, 22:38
What is the current state of wives working if and when someone was to get on with Cathay.
Are there any rules in Hong Kong regarding this? I understand that they have just changed recently??
Also has anyone had any experience with taking their pets with them, more specificly Dogs.
What are the import restrictions, does the company help some.
Is Hong Kong a bad place to have a dog??
Is it possible for a SO to be able to afford a place to live that would be suitable for a dog.
Thanks for the help

404 Titan
2nd Jan 2004, 09:48
DDDOF

The Hong Kong Government changed the rules in July 2003 for dependant visa holders. Essentially new applicants of this visa can’t work on it anymore. Existing holders though can still work on it. The only way around this is for your wife to get sponsored in a job. Only downside is that a large number of potential employers are reluctant to do this and if she does get sponsored she is restricted to working for this employer instead of picking and choosing as she sees fit.

As for the question of having a dog in Hong Kong? I know a few people that do but personally unless you have reasonably large accommodation with a yard, which I would dought you would be able to afford on the SO allowance, I would leave it with a friend in Canada.