PDA

View Full Version : American 'Eeennggglliishhhh'......

swashplate
15th Oct 2001, 02:29
We say 'Normality'

They say 'Normalcy'

We say 'Tomato'

They say 'Tommmaaattooeee'

.....why?

tony draper
15th Oct 2001, 02:58
The way certain words are phrases are used and pronouced in the USA was the way they were used and pronounced here in the seventeen century,
We stopped using those phrases and pronunciation they didn't, and our languages evolved in slightly different ways
For instance every body would have called Autumn fall here then.
Not many people know that. ;)

AA SLF
15th Oct 2001, 07:53
So, what tony draper is saying is that Americans are really the people that are speaking "proper" English, and that the English are really speaking - well who knows! :D :rolleyes:

AA SLF heads swiftly for the air raid bunker.

dAAvid -

Tcas climb
15th Oct 2001, 09:54
Hey AA SLF my mom used to live in Coppell on Parr St.

But whats with this: axe instead of ask????????? :eek:

tony draper
15th Oct 2001, 11:43
AXE is the way ASK would have been pronounced in medieval England.
See Drapers learned thread on the Geordie lingo. ;)

Man-on-the-fence
15th Oct 2001, 12:23
Mr D I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards to American English. They have also done away with stipid spellings as well (center instead of centre for instance).

A nice use of American English I have seen recently is on the serving suggestion for some steak sauce.
1. Cover steak in sauce
2. Cook steak to required doneness

Love it :cool:

[ 15 October 2001: Message edited by: Man-on-the-fence ]

dingducky
15th Oct 2001, 15:06
There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple or pine in pineapple.

English muffins were not invented in England nor French fries in France.

Quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing and hammers don't ham?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

When a house goes up in smoke, it burns down.
An alarm clock goes off by going on.
You get in and out of a car, yet you get on and off a bus.

And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this letter, I end it?

English is a silly language.... it doesn't know if it is coming or going!!!

tony draper
15th Oct 2001, 16:17
Perhaps American English should be called
AMERLISH or ENGLICAN. ;)

radeng
15th Oct 2001, 16:19
Even better is 'momentarily'.
As once happened to me on aflight in the US.

US Captain announces to pax 'We'll be taking off momentarily'
Self to Brit colleague 'I don't think he means that'
After aborting take off half way down runway
self to colleague 'he did mean momentarily!'

(In American, momentarily means 'in a moment' In British English it means 'for a short period of time')

aidybennett
15th Oct 2001, 17:11
Its an old one, I know, but I've done myself-saying in a bar in the States that 'I need a fag!' (Translated in case anyone doesn't know, into 'I need a homosexual' by the Americans)
I've also got confused by the fact that the first floor in the US is the ground floor (although it does make more sense to me)

It is suprising to have be having a civilised conversation and have the word 'fanny' come up!
I think though it is easier for Brits in the states as we have so much American TV and films so we are all pretty conversant in Americanise, where as I've had blank looks when using an English expression or word in the States!

Velvet
15th Oct 2001, 22:56
You're right Capn - when I said (in Detroit) 'I'm going to jump to the head of the queue' I was met with completely blank looks, though in one case someone did chuckle and later told me he thought it was some new sexual position.

Strange the words which survive and those which die - wouldn't you love to be shevelled or corrigible - you could have been once.

I also remember a colleague having to explain to an American why English at a meeting had laughed at his asking a female secretary if she would help him with his French letter. He was unaware that this was a euphemism.

My GrandMother came from Leicester and she always said 'mash a pot of tea', and starve instead of freeze, 'going home' for clothes that needed replacing.

As for English - from John O'Groats to Land's End, there are a range of accents and dialects, some of which are incomprehensible to people from another part of the UK. A Glasgwegian with a strong accent could be speaking Outer Mongolian for all I can tell (I always thought it bizarre that they chose Jimmy Knapp as a spokesman). As for speakers of English from other countries - some of those have strayed so far as to become a foreign language.

I doubt very much whether someone from England in the 17thC would understand more than a couple of words of American English.

Changes are always interesting especially to liberalising swearwords - apparently in 1948 a Judge threatened a lawyer with contempt for using an indecent word in his Court - the word was 'darn'.

tony draper
15th Oct 2001, 23:48
Bill Bryson has written a excelent book on this very subject, called (Made in America), very funny as are all his books but also facinating for those interested in language.
Incidently there was very little difference in pronunciation and the way the language was spoken between Britain and America right up to the revolution,the American accent is a comparetivly recent invention.
George Washington hailing as his family did from the N/E of England probably spoke fluent Geordie.
"Wey eye man,will knack them bludy redcoats" ;)

[ 15 October 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Grainger
16th Oct 2001, 01:51
Apparently Michael Schumacher is now the "winningest" :eek: driver in Formula 1.

Another example of goode olde Englishe ?

tony draper
16th Oct 2001, 02:11
FOUR.
A good example was the hippy generation placing the word "Man" at the end of each sentence, as in "How you doin Man".
Men from the N/E have been doing that for hundreds of years, as in,
"where yu gannin man", err that means
"where are you going sir"
Or "Gizza pint man, am gaggin"
although a Geordie would pronouce "MAN" to rhyme with PAN with a very short A, not slurred out in the American style.

B747wideboy
16th Oct 2001, 02:26
Herb.

The H is NOT silent. ´ERB is a rasta name for dope.

Grainger
16th Oct 2001, 12:25
Going back to the ASK/AXE debate:

It's a good job the same logic doesn't apply to 'DISK' :eek:

henry crun
16th Oct 2001, 12:52
I was also guilty of using one of the sayings with two different meanings.

While salmon fishing in a very remote location in northern BC a Catalina containing 8 execs from IBM plus a couple of propective customers, dropped in alongside our camp.

They only had two folding dinghys so I volunteered to take a couple of them out the next morning. "What time will we see you in the morning then Henry ?".

In all innocence I replied " I'll knock you up about 0600hrs".

[ 16 October 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

TR4A
16th Oct 2001, 21:32
Why do you call it a torch? Here we call it a flashlight.

Braces = Suspenders
Suspenders = Garter Belt

Stellina
16th Oct 2001, 22:53
:rolleyes: :confused: ;)
Have to admit....
first time i went to a restauramt in US, I asked the waitress "where is the toilet , please?".
She didn't know what i was talking about, so i explained"you know, toilet?as in bathroom?"(Have you ever been desperate for a wee-wee?)
and she said: "oh, rest room:::"
"no, i don't need torest, i need the toilet!"
(but when i finally realized what i said...OH MY!Never felt that stupid again..." :cool:

sanjosebaz
16th Oct 2001, 23:11
One thing that really gets up my nose is the use of nouns as verbs:

As an example, I once took a colleague to task for saying "We must leverage our resources"

When I pointed out that leverage is a noun, he said "Any noun can be verbed" ... QED :rolleyes:

widgeon
17th Oct 2001, 00:25
Works the other way too , My wife ( who is canadian ) and I were visting my very proper God Mother in england . She indicated to my wife where the cloak room was and my wife told her she did not have a coat. She then went on to tell her what a nice back yard she had.

Eric
17th Oct 2001, 01:57
And what's this thing they look at called a "meeer" in the "rest room" :confused:

B.Loser
17th Oct 2001, 02:08
I believe it's all relative. As a "good ol' boy" from West Texas I gotta admit, I have a difficult time tryin' to figure out what most of ya'll are trying to say in some of these posts. I've been to three county fairs and a goat roping but I've never seen the likes of some of this stuff.

Now Grainger, don't axe me to explain the axe/ ask issue as I can't. It's but one of thousands of Southern U.S., predominately Texas, derivatives and even those will change depending on which side of the state you're from. Further, in "South Texas", especially "Deep South Texas", "english" commanly combines with a lot of Mexican words - not to be cofused with true Spanish because someone who speaks "true" Spanish wouldn't understand any of these words and pronounciations - thereby creating the term; "TexMex".

Unfortunately, regardless of right or wrong, this is the way a lot of us were taught from "day one" and, believe me, we get hammered for it every day (e.g.; Texas Trailer Trash; "can your neck be any redder?", the comments on this forum, etc...,). My ATP check airman even made the comment; "you're an excellent pilot son but, if you want to land a decent job for goodness sake, learn how to speak like an educated person!"

At any rate I thought I'd offer a few added examples. Depending on where you are in Texas:

we AX questions, use a computer DIX and are in the aviation BIDNESS. When we make a lot of money we're in TALL COTTON, our gals can be HOTTER THAN A TWO DOLLAR PISTOL and CUTER THAN A SPECKLED PUPPY DOG. Regional cuss words may include; DAD-GUMMIT and DAD-BURNIT. In West Texas a delicious meal is LARYUPPIN and someone who doesn't know what he's talking about is AS FULL OF **** AS A CHRISTMAS TURKEY. When the neighbors drive up for a BBQ we ax 'em to GIT DOWN AND COME IN and we'll LAUGH AND SCRATCH, which is to say we'll have a good time. Our standard form of linear measure is YONDER. Depending on how far we're talking about dictates the use of OVER, OUT, UP, DOWN (e.g., anywhere from 6 feet to the next county is considered "over yonder" however, if you're standing in Grapevine talking about your nephew in Muleshoe, he's considered to be living "out yonder") and before we drive out yonder to visit, we always check the AWL in the truck.

Now, I could keep going 'TIL THE COWS COME HOME but, I'll quit with this one: real Texas pilots don't announce; "...we'll be taking off momentarily." - A true Texas pilot will announce: "Be sure and cinch up those seatbelts folks 'cause we're FIXIN' to go ra-a-aght now!".

AA SLF
17th Oct 2001, 08:57
B.Loser -

As a native Texan, I don't have any problem unnerstand'in your post. But you are rat, sometimes I gotta read some of the posts on Pprune several times to unnerstand wot these here folks are say'in. Not any better when I hear these good folks talk'in live. Sounds like they have their jaws war'ed shut. Found some folks up East in the USA talk the same way. Sometimes wunder if'n they got a cob up their b_tt. :D

Now all we got do is 'splain to 'em wot a "headache rack" is and how many tars they got on their pickemup trucks. How about a "dally post"?

But I luv'em just the same.

ps - gotta run and see if Dings is going to post a pic of her drawers or not. Hope she is wear'in em in the pic.

dAAvid -

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: AA SLF ]

AA SLF
17th Oct 2001, 09:21
Tcas climb -

Your Mom lived in a very nice house then. Just saw your post last night and went today and drove down Parr Street. It is over on the East side of town, I live over on the West side of town close to DFW. I just hate driving time to DFW so live as close as I can. Come into DFW on 18L and look out the left window and see me waving to y'all from the backyard.

dAAvid -

Bally Heck
17th Oct 2001, 14:50
Once had an awfully difficult time in Florida trying to purchase a battery for my CD player. After 5 minutes of speaking, gesticulating and pointing, the assistant eventually got the message. "Oh, you want a bedderee."

But what really hacks me off is that if you are French, German, Spanish etc. etc. Microsoft will build an own language version of their crap monopolistic operating system.

If you are British, you have to sit and fume at the schmaltzy Americanisms while browsing your "favorites" in different "colors" and finding things on "my neighborhood network"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh.

Lord save me from it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh.

Don't even start me on pop up windows :mad:

pigboat
17th Oct 2001, 18:07
henry, betcha that Catalina wuz a Canso! :D

TR4A, a flashlight is a hand held battery powered light. A torch is something you catch on farr. :D

pax anglia
17th Oct 2001, 23:55
The Medical Profession here in the UK,having been quite happy to refer to a Medical Speciality for several centuries,has now suddenly adopted the American spelling 'SPECIALTY'.I can accept the fact (somewhat grudgingly)that the English Language changes and develops over time,but why did they adopt the latter pronunciation/spelling at 9am one Monday morning?Have they lost touch with REALTY? By the way,is this a Rumour Network or a Rumor Network?Just thought I'd ask.

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: pax anglia ]

henry crun
18th Oct 2001, 00:32
Pigboat: you could be right, I'm no expert on the finer differences between one Catalina and another.

They hired it in LA for a two week fishing trip around BC, so the two prospective customers must have been fairly important.

I do remember they didn't just have few bottle of spirits, they had crates of just about everything you can name !.

BUMPFF
18th Oct 2001, 12:52
Whilst visiting friends in Fairfax (near DC) in the early 70s I went on an errand to pick up a boy's bicycle froma local repair shop. The bike wouldn't fit in the back of the car without rotating the handlebars through 90 degrees, so I went back to the shop and asked, "Can I borrow a spanner so I can make the bike fit in the boot?" There was a collective "Huh?" from the the people in the shop. In those days I didn't know the US 'wrench' and 'trunk'.
----------------------------------
The definitve modern US English/English English reference is Bill Bryson's 'The Mother Tongue'. His account of the origins of US/UK words is highly entertaining and totally believable.

mad-andy
18th Oct 2001, 22:24
Yeh,
Why don`t they talk proper like what we does.

HOVIS
20th Oct 2001, 19:49
DEEEEPLANE!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Hagbard the Amateur
20th Oct 2001, 20:08
Sorry to get all technical but a fundamental difference between British English and US English has nothing to do with the words. It is stress (not hassle but word rhythm.)
UK English, as monopolized by Shakespeare has a curious way of how we hit the syllables which we call 'iambic.' Shakespeare wrote often in 'Iambic Pentameter' when he was dealing with verse. Its rhythm is as close you can poetically get to British speech rhythm.
American English has developed a syllable stress system which is pretty much opposite phase and called 'trochaic.'
To illustrate simply;
UK folks say Ice *Cream*
US folks say *Ice* Cream
This echoes right across the language.
This is also why Dustin Hoffmann had to spend three months in training to get his head around Shylock in the Merchant of Venice at the Old Vic in the UK because many of Shakespeare's speaking secrets are hidden in how you hit the words and syllables. Hoffmann had opposite phase and had to re-learn to tell the story.

I know. I'm being a smart arse. I'll get me coat.

edited to find his coat

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Hagbard the Amateur ]

tony draper
20th Oct 2001, 22:13
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.

widgeon
20th Oct 2001, 23:24
it sometimes comes out sounding more like arse cream though , love the way that O and A are interchangeable in us english , Dallars not dollars

sanjosebaz
21st Oct 2001, 02:04
There is a recurring ad here for an admirable scheme to aid kids in starting to read. It's called "Hooked On Phonics", but the woman providing the voice-over insists on calling the product "Hooked on Farnics" - and they wonder why the little chaps need such a product!

edited - maybe I ought to buy H.O.P. ;)

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

Hagbard the Amateur
21st Oct 2001, 03:28
"Now That's What I Call Linguistics Volume 203" Could be a market!! :D

tony draper
21st Oct 2001, 03:38
Interestingly, the nearest American accent to Shakespeares English, would be the hillbilly patois from the Apallachian backwoods.
Not many people know that. ;)

widgeon
21st Oct 2001, 03:58
There is also a small island off the North Carolina coast where they still speak an odd english dialect.( ocracoke)

tony draper
21st Oct 2001, 04:30
Ocracoke, that where poor old Blackbeard, a poor misunderstood seafaring man got scagged, mind you, it was a Englishman wot done the deed. ;)

jbc2001
21st Oct 2001, 07:11
When I first went to the "Supplies" counter at Boeing and asked "Can I have two pencils and a rubber?" I was told "Yes, but we call them "erasers" over here". Similarly, in Toulouse, don't talk about your English Hat <<Chapeau d'Anglais>>.

Steepclimb
21st Oct 2001, 16:07
We do have the advantage on Americans when it comes to understanding each other. We get so much American TV, in any case we tend to adopt a lot of US terms because they make sense.
But it doesn't prepare you when you go there. Someone asked me the time, I said half two. Looking puzzled he said 'You mean one o'clock?'.

But it doesn't just apply between regions and countries. Words have different meanings in different contexts. An instructor turned to his student on finals and said, 'You're hot' meaning you're too fast. The student was flattered beause in the parlance of the time it meant he was good and promptly parked it in a hedge.

What always amazes me about America is the consistency of the accent throughout America, apart from the obvious southern differences. Around here someone living two streets away can have a different accent and have completely different meanings for words.

I found this website which is intended for Americans travelling abroad, some of it makes amusing reading but some of it could be usefully applied by all of us.
You can read what they say about your own country and see if it fits.
http://www.executiveplanet.com/community/default.asp

Incidentally, in relation to the comment by 'Henry' meeting the IBM execs and a couple of customers on a fishing trip in a Catalina/Canso. That must have been a long time ago. Something like that would breach IBM's business conduct guidlines nowadays. You can't even accept or offer a bottle of whiskey at Christmas. They've gone very politically correct. Old 'Big Blue' has changed quite a bit.

rainbow
21st Oct 2001, 16:56
English is a bastard of a language of mixed parentage over millenia from scores of foreign climes. This is accepted; has made English the international language of diplomacy and finance (to name but two) and our American friends are welcome to contribute....

HOWEVER...
What gets my goat is the use or misuse of late in American literature (or at least in popular American fiction) of the word "careen".

"Careen" has had a long and distingushed career as a perfectly respectable description of a vessel grounded gently and resting on her keel or either side for the purposes of service or repair. It was ancient when James Cook was a boy.

Our American friends have appropriated our "careen" to mean wild and random uncontrolled motion not only with an abandoned headlong velocity but also with irresponsible collisional lateral accelerations from side to side!!

This is quite the opposite of the original and venerable definition and will simply not do nor will I stand for it anymore.

The word "career" has long been available to our revolutionary cousins for the purposes of their action sequences. They should use it.

(Has a G&T, and another with a dash, ah.. that feels better...)
:D

tony draper
21st Oct 2001, 17:34
Perhaps they got it mixed up with, Career.
Career, ones path thru life.
Career, to rush in a uncontrolable way.
Careen, to sway, or cause to sway over to one side.
from Carina keel, so it is nautical. ;)

What about that silly Americanism
"Cigarette me",from the sixties, that seems to have died out, thank god.
Anybody had come up to me in a pub and said "Cigarette me" would have been nutted.
I was asked once by a silly ****** if I was "vehicled", I assume the silly **** meant, did I have a car with me, and he was English.

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Gainesy
21st Oct 2001, 21:01
Used to do trips around the US aircraft industry once or twice a year, visiting several manufacturers per trip and usually ending up at Sikorsky and Grumman which are handy for JFK.
Sikorsky kindly gave me a lift over to Grumman once in an S.76 so I arrived with my luggage. Walked into the outer office, a guy said "How ya doin?" and I replied, " Fed up humping my case all week and dying for a fag". Least the girls in the Grum office never forgot who I was.
Now, caboose. I know what it is, but where does that word come from?

BayAreaLondoner
21st Oct 2001, 21:06
Living in the US, I'm constantly surprised at the look of utter incomprehension you get when asking for something that the server hasn't understood. Sometimes they guess (often with humorous results), but other times an annoying exchange usually ensues. I remember trying to get a "potato salad" (note the t's in potato) at a Togo's sandwich shop a while ago. The chap behind the counter figured out that I wanted some sort of salad but had another customer standing next to me not intervened by shouting at him "he wants a po-day-do salad!", I'd still be waiting there today.

Anyway, apologies to those of you who've seen this one before, but I couldn't resist posting it!

UK Travel Guide
This guide is for American tourists visiting Britain, who may otherwise be confused by strange British customs.

General
The Brits have peculiar words for many things. Money is referred to as "goolies" in slang, so you should for instance say "I'd love to come to the pub but I haven't got any goolies." "Quid" is the modern word for what was once called a "shilling" -- the equivalent of seventeen cents American. Underpants are called "wellies" and friends are called "tossers." If you are fond of someone, you should tell him he is a "great tosser" -- he will be touched. The English are a notoriously demonstrative, tactile people, and if you want to fit in you should hold hands with your acquaintances and tossers when you walk down the street. Public nuzzling and licking are also encouraged, but only between people of the same sex.

Habits
Ever since their Tory government wholeheartedly embraced full union with Europe, the Brits have been attempting to adopt certain continental customs, such as the large midday meal followed by a two or three hour siesta, which they call a "wan k ." As this is still a fairly new practice in Britain, it is not uncommon for people to oversleep (alarm clocks, alas, do not work there due to the magnetic pull from Greenwich). If you are late for supper, simply apologize and explain that you were having a wan k -- everyone will understand and forgive you.

Universities
University archives and manuscript collections are still governed by quaint medieval rules retained out of respect for tradition; hence patrons are expected to bring to the reading rooms their own ink-pots and a small knife for sharpening their pens. Observing these customs will signal the librarians that you are "in the know" -- one of the inner circle, as it were, for the rules are unwritten and not posted anywhere in the library. Likewise, it is customary to kiss the librarian on both cheeks when he brings a manuscript you've requested, a practice dating back to the reign of Henry VI.

One of the most delighful ways to spend an afternoon in Oxford or Cambridge is gliding gently down the river in one of their flat- bottomed boats, which you propel using a long pole. This is known as "cottaging." Many of the boats (called "yer-i-nals") are privately owned by the colleges, but there are some places that rent them to the public by the hour. Just tell a professor or policeman that you are interested in doing some cottaging and would like to know where the public yerinals are. The poles must be treated with vegetable oil to protect them from the water, so it's a good idea to buy a can of Crisco and have it on you when you ask directions to the yerinals. That way people will know you are an experienced cottager.

Food
British cuisine enjoys a well deserved reputation as the most sublime gastronomic pleasure available to man. Thanks to today's robust dollar, the American traveller can easily afford to dine out several times a week (rest assured that a British meal is worth interrupting your afternoon wan k for). Few foreigners are aware that there are several grades of meat in the UK. The best cuts of meat, like the best bottles of gin, bear Her Majesty's seal, called the British Stamp of Excellence (BSE). When you go to a fine restaurant, tell your waiter you want BSE beef and won't settle for anything less. If he balks at your request, custom dictates that you jerk your head imperiously back and forth while rolling your eyes to show him who is boss.

Once the waiter realizes you are a person of discriminating taste, he may offer to let you peruse the restaurant's list of exquisite British wines. If he doesn't, you should order one anyway. The best wine grapes grow on the steep, chalky hillsides of Yorkshire and East Anglia -- try an Ely '84 or Ripon '88 for a rare treat indeed. When the bill for your meal comes it will show a suggested amount. Pay whatever you think is fair, unless you plan to dine there again, in which case you should simply walk out; the restaurant host will understand that he should run a tab for you.

Transportation
Public taxis are subsidized by the Her Majesty's Government. A taxi ride in London costs two pounds, no matter how far you travel. If a taxi driver tries to overcharge you, you should yell "I think not, you charlatan!", then grab the nearest bobby and have the driver arrested. It is rarely necessary to take a taxi, though, since bus drivers are required to make detours at patrons' requests. Just board any bus, pay your fare of thruppence (the heavy gold-colored coins are "pence"), and state your destination clearly to the driver, e.g.: "Please take me to the British Library." A driver will frequently try to have a bit of harmless fun by pretending he doesn't go to your requested destination. Ignore him, as he is only teasing the American tourist (little does he know you're not so ignorant!).

Speaking of the British Library, you should know that it has recently moved to a new location at Kew. Kew is a small fishing village in Wales. It can be reached by taking the train to Cardiff; once there, ask any local about the complimentary shuttle bus to Kew. Don't forget that buses are called "prams" in England, and trains are called "bumbershoots"--it's a little confusing at first. Motorcycles are called "lorries" and the hospital, for reasons unknown, is called the "off-license". It's also very important to know that a "doctor" only means a PhD in England, not a physician. If you want a physician, you must ask for an "MP" (which stands for "master physician").

For those travelling on a shoestring budget, the London Tube may be the most economical way to get about, especially if you are a woman. Chivalry is alive and well in Britain, and ladies still travel for free on the Tube. Simply take some tokens from the baskets at the base of the escalators or on the platforms; you will find one near any of the state-sponsored Tube musicians.

Once on the platform, though, beware! Approaching trains sometimes disturb the large Gappe bats that roost in the tunnels. The Gappes were smuggled into London in the early 19th century by French saboteurs and have proved impossible to exterminate. The announcement "Mind the Gappe!" is a signal that you should grab your hair and look towards the ceiling. Very few people have ever been killed by Gappes, though, and they are considered only a minor drawback to an otherwise excellent means of transportation. (If you have difficulty locating the Tube station, merely follow the signs that say "Subway" and ask one of the full-time attendants where you can catch the bumbershoot.)

One final note: for preferential treatment when you arrive at Heathrow airport, announce that you are a member of Shin Fane (an international Jewish peace organization -- the "shin" stands for "shalom"). As savvy travellers know, this little white lie will assure you priority treatment as you make your way through customs; otherwise you could waste all day in line. You might, in fact, want to ask a customs agent to put a Shin Fane stamp in your passport, as it will expedite things on your return trip.

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: BayAreaLondoner ]

PaperTiger
21st Oct 2001, 21:36
Caboose is the N.American term for the guard's van on a train (not that there are any now). Best viewed from behind, it tended to rock from side to side while moving which could be reminiscent of certain distaff posteriors.

tony draper
21st Oct 2001, 21:56
Caboose, short for Calaboose, a deckhouse for a galley aboard ship, Brit
A mobile bunkhouse used by lumbermen, Canada.
A railway guardsvan, American.
From the Dutch cabuse?.
Heh heh, good book this. ;)

AtlPax
22nd Oct 2001, 06:56
Caboose (archaic American slang) - a lady's backside ;)

mallard
22nd Oct 2001, 07:01
Bay Area Londoner, are you trying to kill me?
I haven't laughed so much since September 10th.
Maybe it's the only time I have laughed since September 10th.
When I recover I will have to read it again.
The wonder is that from Alaska to Australia we understand each other,sort of.
Spanish too is wonderfully uniting huge areas of the World.
Long may it continue; English is only an international language by accident but what a fantastic tool it has been to promote universal understanding.
Shame about what is happening right now.

Rice Whine
22nd Oct 2001, 08:12
My pet hates -

Grow - as in "We must grow our company"
Pressurize - as in "she was pressurized into doing it"
I thought you could only pressurize an airtight vessel !!

AA SLF
22nd Oct 2001, 08:24
Ah well - I have been reading this thread since page-1. Has been very helpful to this American traveller, who occasionally gets to the UK, to understand the "mother" language.
Here is another contribution:

Lorry = Truck (not a Semi though)
Slip Road = On/Off ramp
Caravan = Camping trailer
Roundabout = death/accident for most Americans. Actually a "traffic circle" although you go around it the wrong way!

Bonnet = car trunk, NOT a womans hat.
Bint = woman.
Skinney Bint = Posh Spice
Guinea = Less than $50, NOT a fowl.
Stone = 14 pounds (weight) NOT money.
Phone Number found on a card pasted inside a public telephone booth = a "good time" for a male traveller!

Fair Dinkum = a witty bon mot from an Oz Expat. Do NOT use this term in polite society in the UK unless you carry a bowie knife; rattleskin hat band and a leather vest with no shirt!!

perve (as in "to perve") = an enjoyable past time if practiced carefully. Best practice locations are certain Agean Islands and most beaches in Italy and southwest France. Actually a term from Oz land. If in Oz, please perve openly and often, especially on the Gold Coast.
;) ;) :D :D

That's it then -

dAAvid -

DrSyn
22nd Oct 2001, 08:56
Your language comprehension is well above average, AA SLF, for someone from your stated location. If I could offer a tiny correction to your above list, which might assist your private study (Eng = USA):

Bonnet = car hood (but confusing if applied to certain rear-engined European vehicles).
Boot = car trunk, also, occasionally, associated with Bint (see your above post).

Hope this helps with your studies.

sanjosebaz
22nd Oct 2001, 10:21
To further dAAvid's study a little more:

Semi=articulated lorry (artic for short)
(on the other hand, a semi in UK is somewhere to live - from semi-detached house)

Guinea is way less than $50. It was 1 pound, 1 shilling (now 1.05 UKL), or roughly $1.50 :rolleyes:

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

dingducky
22nd Oct 2001, 17:03
does anyone remember a funny ad it was set in like a hospital and had sounds of painful ripping and said something about a product name that was condoms in one country and tape in another :eek:

also i think that in the usa jif is a brand of peanut butter while here is is a cleaner (cleans without harsh scratching). you wouldn't want to get them mixed up either :p

anyone got any other examples?

Gainesy
22nd Oct 2001, 19:34
Thanks for the caboose explanations.
Dingducky, Jif has recently been re-named Cif (with a soft C), as Jif was something rude in Swahili or something. Just don't order it verbally by the case.

widgeon
22nd Oct 2001, 21:34
ever hear the story that RR were going to name a car Silver Mist until they found out what it was in German .
Also Cona the coffee people sponsered a rally car , but had to cover the name in Portugal.

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]

tony draper
22nd Oct 2001, 22:41
Draper has notied that a lot of these foreign languages are not really foreign at all,when spoken, sure, it sounds like a lot of ducks quacking and not at all like a proper language, but when written down, they use our English alphabet, they just call things by different names and jumble the letters up.
Huh! at least those Arabs had the decency to invent their own ,even though it not a proper alphabet just squiggley lines and little pictures.
Bloody foreigners. ;)

sanjosebaz
22nd Oct 2001, 22:41
In a similar vein (but we're getting off the thread here) was the mistake made years ago when Commodore attempted to market the "Pet" computer in France. (Pet is French for [email protected]) :rolleyes:

Steepclimb
22nd Oct 2001, 23:25
Mention of the potato salad, reminds me of the time last year in a sandwich bar. My friend didn't want all usual extras. He just wanted a cheese roll, he insisted. After a lot of raised eyebrows he finally got it. A plain cheese roll. Except no cheese.
It was a cheese flavoured bread roll. The people in the shop thought he was nuts. He fled redfaced clutching his cheeseless cheese roll.

What always gets me is the questions in place like restaurants and fast food outlets. You know the words but the sentence is meaningless to you. 'What's your side?' being one.

Velvet
23rd Oct 2001, 00:15
Now aluminum I can understand for they spell it differently.

However, can someone please explain how on earth one gets to 'nucular' and nuculus. The most amazing example was a documentary Orson Wells made when he constantly referred to a 'nucular bomb' and nucular reaction.

BayAreaLondoner
23rd Oct 2001, 00:26
mallard - you're very welcome! The originator of that piece is apparently this person: http://www.jomiller.com/guide/

It never ceases to amaze me how I'll go into a fast food place and in response to "may I take your order?" (or blank stare) say "Number 2, for here with a Diet Coke, please" for instance, and then get:
"For here or to go?"
"Somethin' to drin'?"
Arggghh...
Also, I've found that when I do say "for here", I need to point to the counter.

Another observation - I never seem to have much luck being understood when I say certain words, for example:

I say --> They need to hear
-----------------------------------------
Water --> Wah-der
Diet Coke --> Dye-at Coak
Tomato --> Tomaydo (or tomado)
Burrito --> Burrido
mobile phone --> mobill phone

I'm reminded of one of Eddie Izzard's shows in which he says "you say 'leesure', we say 'lie-zure-ay'" :)

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: BayAreaLondoner ]

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: BayAreaLondoner ]

sanjosebaz
23rd Oct 2001, 00:38
Thanks for the site, B.A.L

I just pressed the "addendum button" and there is even more hilarity to be had there! To save you the bother, here's the URL... http://www.jomiller.com/personal/angus.html

AA SLF
23rd Oct 2001, 07:24
THANKS to all for the help regards my continuing education in English English. I now know a bonnet; boot and artic. Still struggling with a "semi" as I have diffiulty imaging a house that is "semi" detached. I would have rather thought that it was either "attached" or not. What drew me originally to PPrune was the story about what an "anorak" is. Can't say that I ever fit that mold, (should that have been "mould"?)growing up as I did on a ranch a few miles from SAT in south Texas. Not sure that I ever owned a coat of any kind as a child except on visits to the UK.

BayAreaLondoner brings up an interesting point regards fast food establishments. I agree, counter help in those places seems to me just like the "screeners" at the airport - English/American isn't even their "second" language! :) Why is it here in Texas that the Chinese food restaurants always have Asian faces at the counter - BUT Mexican cooks?? :confused: :confused:

dAAvid -

sanjosebaz
23rd Oct 2001, 07:37
Now then! A simple (?) description of British housing seems to be required here. In the absense of anyone else chipping in, here's my attempt:

A detached house has land all round it (the neighbor's house is not joined to it)

A semi is attached to it's next-door neighbor, with fencing separating the yards

A terrace is multiple houses joined together (as in "Coronation Street"!)

... and an end-terrace has similarities to a semi (it's joined one side, but "detached" the other).

Make sense? :eek:

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

Travelling Toolbox
23rd Oct 2001, 07:55
Ah! Americans, English, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders..........friends and allies divided by a common language!!!

He he.English spoken here, American understood (mostly) :D :D :D :D

Edited for fat fingers :eek:

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: Travelling Toolbox ]

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: Travelling Toolbox ]

PaperTiger
23rd Oct 2001, 08:49
British semi(-detached) house = N. American duplex.
British flat = N. American apartment.
N. American flat = British puncture.
N. Americans wear shorts under their pants.
Brits wear pants under their trousers.
Superman wears shorts/pants over his pants/trousers.

DrSyn
23rd Oct 2001, 11:31
I apologise for referring back to Page 4, but I believe that a calaboose is a place of confinement, such as a prison. A caboose is the back end of a train (or, indeed of a person N.Am). Whilst not decrying tony d's erudite definitions on p4 , I am not convinced that the two words are actually connected, unless very obscurely.

There is an old song which goes:

Oh, eleven more years and ten more months
I'll be out of this calaboose,
Eleven more years and ten more months
They're goin' to turn me loose . . etc.

It could possibly be applied to the punctuality, or indeed working turns (rosters), of many UK rail operators, as sung by one of their few remaining guards, but that's stretching things a bit too far!

As pointed out previously, there are any number of dialects within the UK. There is a very close phonetic similarity between many of the USA dialects and those from the west of the British Isles, where many early settlers originated from. The currently posh "Oxford" accent in the UK probably originated from the arrival of the Hannoverian royals. Today's high German dialect is remarkably similar. The Court had enormous influence on what was "fashionable" in educated society in those days.

The curious lisp which distinguishes modern "high" Spanish originated from one of their kings, Philip (number anyone?) who had a lisp. To avoid embarrassment to the King, his courtiers insisted on similar pronunciation at Court. The Spanish spoken in the New World and some parts of Spain, without lisp, is infinitely more attractive and the original.

Many of the early Aussies and Kiwis originated from the south east of the UK, which probably explains the phonetic similarity of their various dialects to the few remaining dialects of (esp) Kent & Sussex which have not yet been swamped by modern Eastenderspeak!

Official spelling of the English language was not introduced until relatively recently, perhaps 1835, and prior to that it was largely dictated by which school or college (if any) your teacher (if any) had attended. It is more than likely that, post 1776, the Americans may have isolated a more accurate record of "English as she is spoke" than we Brits, often rather arrogantly, give them credit for. What a shame that the phonograph wasn't invented a century or two earlier!

TAF Oscar
23rd Oct 2001, 22:30
Flying out of KGIF last year I was a bit concerned when having asked about the WX, the FBO Manager told me there was "nuthin" to "fret" about, just some "serious cloud" later on.

Couldn't find anything on the weather radar, so I queried it. "Sure", says he. "Serious cloud, y'know, that haah up wispy stuff...".

BayAreaLondoner
23rd Oct 2001, 22:35
PaperTiger,

In San Francisco, some homes are referred to as flats (and they aren't caravans or mobile homes with flat tyres either...)
Took me a long time to figure out the difference between a condo and an apartment, but I still haven't determined what a San Francisco flat is. Maybe it is just in a Victorian house? Or perhaps it isn't purpose built whereas an apartment is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

On a slightly different subject, does anyone share this problem? I find myself concentrating more when I speak so that I use the locally correct (i.e. American English) term for something in a business setting. When I speak to other Britons or am back in the UK, I find myself concentrating just as much and, you guessed it, coming out with the American English term... Needless to say, I sound even more like a [email protected] than usual because I say it with an English accent...

HugMonster
24th Oct 2001, 02:34
Okay, what IS the difference between a condo and an apartment? If if a flat is something different, what's a tenement? :confused:

BayAreaLondoner
24th Oct 2001, 02:56
Hugs - you rent an apartment but you buy a condo.

B.Loser
24th Oct 2001, 03:53
BAL,

Sorry, haven’t been saddled with that problem. Being from Texas, we normally assign one word to describe a multitude of different things. In a previous post we covered “yonder” as the universal unit of measure. We also use the word “deal” (pronounced “dill”) quite a bit to describe, well, a lot of things. Examples:

If a certain instrument quits working a normal question would be “what’s wrong with this dill here?” Trust me, if your mechanic (engineer) is from the Lone Star State, he’ll know exactly what deal you are referring to.

If we are looking for something at the hardware store a normal response to the question; “kin I hep yew fand sumthin’?” would be; “yes, ma’am, I’m lookin’ for the little dill that goes in the sink dill that keeps it from drippin’”.

If we come home to find the nice neighbor kids have wrapped the house, our first exclamation will be; “What the hail kinda dill is this!”

The same sort of deal applies with soft drinks (aka; “sodie wader” to us “old time” West Texans). Just about everything in Texas (except beer, iced tea and water) is referred to as a Coke. Example: Your girlfriend hollars at you from the kitchen:

GF: “Hon, ya’ll want sumthin’ ta drank?”

You: “Yeah, brang me a Coke, Babe, thankee.”

GF: “Okay, whatda want?”

You “Dr. Pepper.”

Now, it doesn’t matter where in the world you go or who you talk to, if the first several words out of your mouth come out slow with a Texas drawl and you use terms like “yonder” and “deal”, people will get real friendly and go out of their way to help you understand the “local correctness” of whatever kind of deal your talking about. I haven’t quite figured out if this is out of sympathy or amusement or, maybe a little of both. Whatever the deal, it seems to work.

Also, I’m totally lost with regard to the flat, semi-detached, apartment, condo deal. It doesn’t matter where you live, every form of abode here is referred to as “the house” or “la casa”. Unless, of course, you’re talking about the jeffe’s house which is called “the big house” or “la casa grande”.

Hey, by the way dAAvid, out of curiosity, a few miles from SAT where? Spent a good number of years a few miles from Alice.

AA SLF
24th Oct 2001, 08:14
B.Loser -

I with you about those flats; condos and apartments. As we say down in Texas - give me land, lotsa land .....

While you may have liked that "prune juice" (10-2-4 stuff folks) I went for the best, a Royal Crown cola! ;) It came in that nice TALL bottle, obviously one got more to drink that way as compared to that little bitty "coke" bottle (the old six ouncer).

Where NE of SAT? About six miles up the ole Bitters Road from the NE corner of SAT. 'Bout due east of Camp Bullis by the same distance. Had a hunner acres of limestone; prickly pear; mesquite; horny toads and rattlesnakes.

My clearest memory of Alice was Dec-48 when we were driving back from a vacation in Brownsville, ran into an ICE STORM in Alice! Colder than Dundee, where I spent the winter of 46/47. My first encounter with Texas "black ice" (so clear you can't see it, ya feel it when your pickup truck starts to slide). Have been very respectful of black ice every since then. :eek:

Remember when most ranch/country homes were built out of Texas limestone? Well tell me, how long has it been since you had a real Moon Pie? Yep - seven cents got ya a Moon Pie and an R-oh See cola. Now that was high class eatin fer sure. Ever roast prickly pear pears?

You are surely correct about the Texas twang when overseas. Folks will always help a Texan so's they can listen to us tawlk funny.

By the way - I do like to help Oz folks too. Like to listen to THEM talk. :D

dAAvid -

Eagle18th
24th Oct 2001, 08:37
Eric - you mention the meeer in the bathroom...
Any word containing double r surrounded by vowels seems to have the same effect in American.
Examples are "horror" = whore (said in a posh voice)
"terror" = tear
"squirrel" = squirl

By the way, to any Bostonians out there...does anyone else really speak like Loyd Grossman?
:D

Flyingcircus.
24th Oct 2001, 14:07
What I really hate is when whoever I'm talking to makes reference to their "cuddlery". ie knife, fork etc.

Gainesy
24th Oct 2001, 19:22
Flats of the Third Kind.
On my wife's first visit to South Africa, first day we had lunch with some friends. A lady asked the wife; "How's your flat?"
Wife:"Oh it was OK but we sold it last year and bought a house"
Puzzled SA lady:" No, I meant your flat out from London last night."
More than broke the ice.

Hypoxia
24th Oct 2001, 19:25
Has any ever noticed that the standard greeting in the U.S. these days is no longer "Hi" or "Hello(there)", but "How are ya doin" or "How are ya doin t'day". This greeting is used by people just passing one another in the street! Do they really expect you to stop and tell them how you are doing? I have been tempted on occasions to launch int a summary of the ups and downs of my day, the state of my health, marriage and financial situation. I would probably get that "Wadda weeerdoh" look, when all I have done, in fact, is answered his question!!

B.Loser
24th Oct 2001, 20:05
Well, dAAvid, it’s been awhile for an honest to goodness moon pie although my big weakness was for peanut rounders – also almost non-existent today (in the pure form). And you’re 100% right about the “R-oh-Cee. It’s getting real hard to find IT in a lot of places these days as well so, most of the time prune juice has to do.

I had “pear” gooh comin’ out my ears. If we weren’t eating pear jelly or candy or roastin’ pears, I was out burnin’ pear for the dad-gum cows to eat.

Good ol’ Duval County! Home of the REAL Texas political machine for a good number of years – the “Good Ol’ Boy System” at it’s finest.

And who would’ve dreamed your hundred acres of limestone hills over by the county line would be prime real estate today.

widgeon
24th Oct 2001, 20:07
2 ducks flying over belfast , one says to the other "quack" , other duck replies " sure I'm going as quack as I can".

BayAreaLondoner
24th Oct 2001, 21:29
B. Loser - I shall have to start a practicin' ma Texan :)

pax anglia
25th Oct 2001, 01:03
Forgive me if this has already been covered....
The cause of much irritation to me is the mispronunciation of "Harass".The US way is to put the emphasis on the second syllable ie "haRASS".Unfortunately this has spread to the UK.It doesn't even sound right! Would you say embaRASS,embaRASSMENT or embaRASSED?
No,of course you wouldn't!
I rest my case.

B.Loser
25th Oct 2001, 03:05
BAL,

It appears as if you're off to a good start. "Ya'll jes holla if ya need eny hep, y'hear!"

BayAreaLondoner
25th Oct 2001, 04:07
Hey B.Loser,

Why d'yall haf t'fix dinner if it ain't broke?

Hypoxia
25th Oct 2001, 17:52
We've been living in the US for almost a year and still have communication troubles. It seems that people here just don't f***** listen! They seem to get their answer ready after having listened to about 3 words.

Examples:

1. Phoning the AOL helpline
Q: I am having problems logging onto AOL whilst abroad. I've tried the "international help" function as well as changing to "AOLnet" but still cannot get through.
A: Wha don't ya try "international help" or try changin' to "AOLnet".
Q: Thank you, but, as I said, I have tried both, with no success.
A: You're welcome. Thank you for usin' AOL helpline, hava a good day CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!

2. My wife's experience at a local flying school.
Q: I would like to find what I need to do in order to get a FAA commercial licence. I am holding an expired foreign commercial licence and have got just over 500 hours.
A: The easiest would be to validate your foreign licence.
Q: But, LIKE I SAID, is has expired and I am not returning to the country of issue.
A: Well, for a private licence you would need to do 40 hours of flying bla bla (standard speech for new PPL student)
Q: LIKE I SAID, I already have over 500 hours and wish to get a COMMERCIAL licence ....

3. Whilst walking in a park one day and seeing a man with a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy:
Q: (from me) Is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback?
A: Yeah.
Q: (trying to make polite conversation) We are from Zimbabwe, which used to be Rhodesia.
A: Exactly! Is that where y'all from then???????????

4. A car alarm went off in the parking lot right outside our apartment in the middle of the night. So we call the 24 hour security number:
Q: We live at ..... and there is a car alarm sounding which has been going for about 2 hours.
A: Saahry?
Q: (repeating above)
A: Saahry? What is goin' arrf?
Q: A car alarm.
A: I'm saahry, I don't understand what yer sayin'.
Q: An alarm on a car.
A: On whaaaat?

We gave up and asked the neighbour to call and explain in American ....

B.Loser
25th Oct 2001, 20:02
Hey BAL,

You'd know the answer to that had you tasted the ex's cooking! Standard "cuddelry" at the table included hacksaws. And that was just for the eggs!

Flyingcircus.
26th Oct 2001, 15:14
:mad: I'm warning you. Don't push me :mad:

scramjet
26th Oct 2001, 15:31
Gday Im from top right cnr or Oz-trailia! most of the ringers(cowboys) round say "what ya upta Joe?" but that doesnt matter what your name is. Everyones Joe! Then you must remember to finish every sentance with "Aye"

Down south in Oz you would go swimming in Bathers but in Qld you would go put your Trunks on!

Hmm most of the other words we seem to use half &half Mainly from our colonial heritage I guess but influenced lately by yanks

PaperTiger
27th Oct 2001, 05:48
One more for the old blood pressure. From CNN...
Earlier, Daschle told reporters the bacteria may be "a little more aerosolable,"

Mert
27th Oct 2001, 10:55
Well, at least it isn't the arseolable kind!

captainowie
27th Oct 2001, 15:45
Scramjet:

Water attire has always been a confusing issue.

Bathers, Trunks, Swimmers, Togs, Costume, etc.

It does get rather tedious. :rolleyes:

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
27th Oct 2001, 18:54
When was the word "on" abolished in the Yoo-ess? Example."The Dow dropped three points toosday" or "The president anounced new cuts saturday".It's "ON saturday" got it!!! :mad:

tony draper
27th Oct 2001, 20:10
Surly it should be During Saturday, "on Saturday" seems as daft as "in Saturday" when you think about it.
hmmmm .shut up Draper. ;)

BayAreaLondoner
28th Oct 2001, 00:18
In the UK, I'd "write to" someone. In the US, I'd "write" them.
In the UK, I'd "meet" someone. In the US, I'd "meet with" them.
In the US, they "visit with" each other.

English is a strange language.

min
28th Oct 2001, 07:39
You'd think that in a country with as small a population as Australia, that we'd be able to undertand each other, but noooo..

Some states have milk bars, other's have deli's....some have fritz sangers, others have poloney....In South Oz we darnce and visit Carstles...in Vic they dance and visit castles....we can't even decide on a national football code!!

M.

tony draper
28th Oct 2001, 14:58
Castles,?in Orstralia Miss Min???. ;)

yaffel1
29th Oct 2001, 00:44
Forgive me if someone has already pointed this out,but isn't it interesting how in Britain the Royal Mail delivers the post, but in the US the Postal Service delivers the mail?

M.Mouse
29th Oct 2001, 03:47
Well, this must rate as one of the funniest and good humoured threads I have read in a long time!

Some very English friends of mine have lived in the US for over 10 years. Their first attempt to buy a house through a Realtor (Estate Agent) was very confused when Jane, in response to questioning, asked for a small yard (UK = garden ) but a large garden (UK = flower bed). Thinking that a yard was a patio!

Not quite in the same vein was work colleague on holiday (vacation) in the US and at breakfast a lady at another table admired their baby and in conversation asked 'Did you give birth vaginally?'!

AA SLF
29th Oct 2001, 07:47
Well, have been just reading the posts here lately in the quest of furthering my education in the English language (UK that is). Must say I have a first here, having never heard of "cuddlery" before. Interesting word, that one.

Now - why is it the we Americans say "fi-lay" and the UK says "fill-it"? Does it have something to do with the "troubles" England has had over the years with the French?

Oh yes, our "vacation" is your "holiday" - did I get that one right? We form a "line" and you lot form a "queue". A "wee tot" here is a small human. We drive on the "right" (correct?) side of the road and the UK drive on the "left", which all right-wing Americans know is the "wrong" side to be on. Not only that but we get run over a lot by vehicals when we visit because we always look the wrong way.

Oh yes, almost forgot, the "first" floor isn't! And when that kind of emergency need arises ione must remember it is the "loo".

OK - I know that restroom and bathroom can be a little confusing, just remember that one is a facility in an "establishment" and the other is a similar facility in a domicile; although usually a bathroom will have a full-body "washup" such as a bathtub or shower whilst the other will lack this facility.

Humm - must remeber that an artic is a semi-trailer truck

Wonder what they call a Krispy Kreme in the UK?

dAAvid - ;)

sanjosebaz
29th Oct 2001, 09:26
Actually dAAvid, the French pronounce it "feeyay", so neither Brit nor US is the correct pronunciation of that one! Go figure. :eek:

Fillet is probably also correct (and not anti-French), because according to Websters American dictionary, it means among other things:
A strip or compact piece of boneless meat or fish, especially the beef tenderloin
Though it also acknowledges the alternative filay pronunciation in this case.

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

PaperTiger
29th Oct 2001, 09:36
When I go out on a day when it looks like rain, I take a raincoat. Americans bring one (although I'm told this is a regional variation in the UK too).
Any grammarians care to explain the difference between bring and take ?

sanjosebaz
29th Oct 2001, 09:45
Well what an anorak I am! This is from dictionary.com:
Usage Note: In most dialects of American English bring is used to denote motion toward the place of speaking or the place from which the action is regarded: Bring it over here. The prime minister brought a large retinue to Washington with her. Take is used to denote motion away from such a place: Take it over there. The President will take several advisers with him when he goes to Moscow. When the relevant point of focus is not the place of speaking itself, the difference obviously depends on the context. We can say either The labor leaders brought or took their requests to the mayor's office, depending on whether we want to describe things from the point of view of the labor leaders or the mayor. Perhaps for this reason, the distinction between bring and take has been blurred in some areas; a parent may say of a child, for example, She always takes a pile of books home with her from school. This usage may sound curious to those who are accustomed to observe the distinction more strictly, but it bears no particular stigma of incorrectness or illiteracy. - The form brung is common in colloquial use in many areas, even among educated speakers, but it is not standard in formal writing.

Bright-Ling
29th Oct 2001, 12:50
Since when has the Northern Holding stack for Heathrow (BNN) been called BOVINGTON!!!!!!

Do your Jepp charts have it mis-spelt!!??

Seems ALL US operators call it so!

Makes me giggle though.

They probably head for Lie-Cester Square in London during down time!!

swashplate
29th Oct 2001, 14:00
Just quickly before this gets locked - many thanks to everyone for replies. Been an education!!! :cool:

Just asking a simple question - didn't expect it to grow this big..... :eek:

Cuddlery....love it...... :D :D

Eric
29th Oct 2001, 14:04
And why do the Americans mix up their verbs in conversations,

When asked for example, "Have you got a drink?" the reply is, "Yes I do", when it should be, "Yes I have". :rolleyes:

sanjosebaz
29th Oct 2001, 14:12
One last classic -
The obvious answer to "thank you" is ...

"You bet" - I'd love to know the origins of that.

Been a fun thread - ta!

PPRuNe Pop
29th Oct 2001, 16:38
Time to close this one now that it has reached the unmagical 100+ plus.

Please feel free to start another.

PPRuNe Pop
Administrator
[email protected]