PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe New Years Honours

TD&H
31st Dec 2003, 23:02
PPRuNe New Year's Honours

Despite lengthy perusal of the latest Honours list I could not find any awards for services to PPRuNe. Surely someone out there deserves the award of 'MHDOIF'. e.g.:

The boards of Air France, Hairbrush and BA for their services to supersonic travel.

Geoff Hoon et al for services to Morale in the Armed Services.

May all PPRuNers have a wonderful 2004 with sunny skies and tailwinds (except when landing), and far less bureaucracy.

TD&H

G-KEST
2nd Jan 2004, 04:34
When I worked for the CAA I was approached by the, then, DGO or head of the operational side of SRG to recommend someone from GA and in particular the airshow world for an award. This to go up to the Department of Transport and then on to the Cabinet Office for recommendation to Her Majesty.

At the cost of alienating all my friends, if I still have any, I put Brian Lecombers name forward with a pretty full citation based on his long and 110% effort into airshow aerobatics, solo, pairs and team formation aeros over countless years. A man whose dedication to perfection is absolute and a man who can be a real pain in the ass occasionally. From his earliest days with the Biplane Club at Denham he has suffered in more ways than one in the cause of enthralling those millions of folk who attend airshows here and abroad.

The result...........................................(silence)

Ah well one can only try. Now I am retired and the system has become a bit more open to the public I must try again personally.

Having signed the Official Secrets Act on joining the CAA and this is a life long committment the next post I make may be from the Tower. Did I hear "Good riddance" - hope not..............!!!!

What do you think I should do and who would you seriously nominate????

treadigraph
2nd Jan 2004, 06:06
If you've still got your beard G-KEST, then that should help foil the axe's stroke - though if ever they offer you a Knighthood I'd watch that sword very carefully...!

Seriously, I absolutely agree with you - Brian Lecomber should definitely be considered, also Ray Hanna who has been flying MH434 for almost 40 years IIRC...

And what about organisers and other stalwarts? Jock Maitland at Biggin Hill for instance.

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Treadders

JDK
2nd Jan 2004, 07:02
Dear Gentlemen,
From the 'otherside of the fence' as a watcher and writer, Both Brian & Ray would be high on the list to get my vote. Still, lack of a knighthood is meerly another aspect of the indifference to aviation in so-called governing circles, and the 4th estate. Oh, for a AirMinded campaign like in the 30s. My local paper (Oxon) had a complaint by a councilor that the sad crash at Kidlington (see thread elsewhere) 'could have killed someone on the A44 passing by'. No note that the cost of a Concorde servicing to a brass farthing there's been more killed and injured on that road by drivers...
Blah.
Still, keeps the prats out of the airshows! Many thanks to all groundcrew, helpers and (even) drivers - airframe for the last few years and here's to a safe and spectacular 2004.

Cheers
James

treadigraph
2nd Jan 2004, 17:53
Anyone know how many people in GA/Sporting aviation have received an honour for their aviating endeavours. I'm sure Ann Welch was at least an OBE, also Norman Jones... any others?

Prince Philip takes a keen interest in sporting aviation, I'm sure he would support nominations.

stiknruda
2nd Jan 2004, 22:06
I've felt for some years now that Alex Henshaw should have received something for his epic dash to Cape Town in '38.

That the record still stands today, merely reinforces it.

Stik

G-KEST
3rd Jan 2004, 03:01
Beard still there but got it trimmed today after a moratorium due to being Santa Claus at our village childrens party..........!!!!
Have always been carefull with my chopper for a variety of reasons as I have nearly got it twice.....
In display flying you need money and luck - never had much of the former but had a s***load of the latter DV it will continue.
Happy New Year,
Trapper 69
Keep the suggestions coming. Some mentioned have already been given awards so try to keep it to those who have not. All are fabulous pilots who have contributed so much to aviation. Perhaps it would be a good idea to set up a thread on the subject for, say, a month then analyse and write a detailed citation for submission to the Cabinet Office direct as is nowpossible. What do you think.............???????????:ouch:

Simtech
4th Jan 2004, 22:11
My vote goes to Chris Morris, Chief Engineer at the Shuttleworth Collection.

G-KEST
7th Jan 2004, 04:28
I am with Simtech - if any single person active today has done more to keep veteran and vintage aeroplanes from the Blackburn Monoplane to the Spitfire and, especially, the ethereal Boxkite replica I do not know him or her. This old lady gracefully puttered past us all, flown by the intrepid and hypothermiated Dodge Bailey, on December 17th of hallowed memory.

Come on folks - this thread is flagging - I meant what I said about getting nominations over the month. Then I will, quite arbitrarily, as is my wont - pick a couple of really deserving people and research a citation for them. Sending it in to that absolute master of spinning, the Prime Minister. Wonder if he might be related distantly to that chap Parke from 1913? Opinions please, not on Parke but on GA guys and gals who really do deserve some national recognition.

Trapper 69

RileyDove
7th Jan 2004, 04:41
G-KEST - I believe there is a report out very shortly that might have a detrimental effect on Tony's spin characteristics - get those
nominations in quickly while he still has wind under his wings!

Man-on-the-fence
7th Jan 2004, 05:43
After some though I'm with Simtech. It has to be Chris Morris. A thoroughly nice chap as well.

JDK
7th Jan 2004, 06:57
Chris Morris without a doubt. Difficult to keep it short, but here's a few:

Modest, quiet, effective, in the right place at the right time, happy to share.

The 'engine' around which OW runs. (Didn't his predicessor Wally Berry get an OBE? If not shame...)

And the technical point - looks after more (piston) engines in fewer a/c of more configurations that (I'd guess) anyone else, and with a small team and a no doubt smaller budget. And not only are some of those engines funny shapes or have the wrong bits moving, or use 'organic' lubrication (my, how PC!) some of them are the only ones going at least 12 times a year. Chris is probably the only person who regards a Merlin as something with an excessive spares supply!

Can I give the man two nominations, one just because I'd bet he's the only chief engineer seen processing up (not down & there's quite slope on OW!) a flightline on an Ordinary (or if you must be vulgar, a 'penny farthing' - that's an odd bike as any fule kno.)

Cheers
James

Oh, nice hat too.

Over to you KEST.

TD&H
7th Jan 2004, 17:52
I agree Chris Morris certainly gets my vote.

My original suggestions were obviously tongue in cheek, however if we can use this thread to at least see one or two deserving cases get a medal then lets keep up the pressure.

Certainly compared with some of the dubious awards one sees being given out, there are some far more deserving people in the aviation world, especially keeping the old aeroplanes airworthy to the pleasure of many hundreds of thousands each year. After all, airshows are the second highest crowd gatherers after soccer, so with all the awards to those overpaid, petulant thugs, then there should be lots going to the old aeroplane keepers and drivers.

TD&H

G-KEST
9th Jan 2004, 00:48
OK fellows I have got the message. Chris goes to the top of the list and rightly so; in my biased opinion of knowing him since the early 1960's when he was at the DeHavilland Technical School. As far as pilots are concerned I still have a yen for nominating Brian Lecomber and would need some brilliant alternative nominations to alter that, again biased, opinion. How about it - or does apathy reign yet again in GA and its followers? We really do have to blow our own trumpet because there is no one else to do it for us. Frankly, I think it obscene that so-called sportsmen who are, in fact, very able and professional businessmen collect so very many awards. This when a lot of the, so-called, sports do not attract anything like the vast numbers who attend airshows in the UK each year. Are we as a nation pandering too much to the TV watching couch potatoes of this world? (Do I hear my beloved wife muttering about grubby pots and kettles - Ah well if the cap fits.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Trapper 69
PS - Remember this thread will evaporate on 31st January and then it will be time for me to start researching and writing the appropriate citations.

treadigraph
9th Jan 2004, 00:56
G-KEST, fourthed, fifthed or wherever we are... If perhaps you are able to field two nominations then both Brian and Chris should go forward.

Funnily enough, I have just been re-reading Benjy's second volume of Tiger Club memories and within he bemoans the lack of gongs for the GA community...

Cheers

Treadders

Grandad Biggles
9th Jan 2004, 03:22
What about Prince Phillip awarding the honours?
Before my time but I think he has been to OW before and about time we had him return.
Might have made rod for my own back with the security arrnagements needed!!!!

BeauMan
13th Jan 2004, 01:02
I have to say I don't know very many people in aviation well enough to say whether or not they should be nominated, but the one person I've spent time with who really has inspired me is Tim Moore. Although knowing Tim, I'm sure he'd be horrified at the thought! The mark of a truly modest man.

I just feel he deserves some recognition for the wonders he and his boys have worked, in turning lumps of tangled tat back into such treasured gems as the RAF Museum's Bulldog and TFC's Bristol Fighter amongst others.

JDK
13th Jan 2004, 01:23
Hear hear!
I don't know Tim personally, but he is universally well spoken of.
Seconded!
Cheers
James K

G-KEST
13th Jan 2004, 05:29
Treaders - What a grand idea - only problem is that I had the same yesterday................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chris and Brian it is for me; unless someone can trump those two with an even more worthy recipient. To those who nominated Tim Moore, then I agree wholeheartedly BUT Tim would be the first to agree that his work, though excellent, is but a fraction of that done, over so very many years for Shuttleworth, by Chris Morris. If I were to draw up a short list in the engineering field then Tim would be on it however Chris would still be at the top of it.
Incidentally Treaders is the name in any way connected to that magic instructor who so patiently led an utterly spastic student through his paces at West Malling's Ellie Extravaganza all those years ago? If so a PM would be appreciated.
Trapper 69

TD&H
13th Jan 2004, 19:15
Chris and Brian seem to be getting the vote from the few of us willing to post.

However does anyone know of the next step to actually get these nominations heard by those that give out the gongs?

If so can we put a link in somewhere (I'm not up to speed on how to do this) for people to either download a nomination form or email one in?

We may need some evidence to use on these nominations. Any volunteers to post a precis of Chris and Brian CVs?

Sorry, don't wish to be seen to ask others to do the work, but honestly I'm stuck as to how to progress this.

Have found this from the guidance for nominations for civil honours:

"The form should be completed with the following details:-

the person’s full name, address, date of birth (if known) or age; and

full details of service to the community, with dates, in the area for which the nomination is being made; and

a summary of the particular achievements/qualities which make them outstanding

the nominator’s name, address and relationship to the nominee.

At least two letters of support from other members of the community who have first hand knowledge of the nominee’s activities should be sent, either with the form or separately."

Tailwinds to all

G-KEST
15th Jan 2004, 01:55
TD&H - Thanks a million for your work. Yes, I am in the process of gathering information for CV's to post here however it might be thought too public a method for the nudge, nudge, and rolled up trouser folk who inhabit those gentlemans clubs in St. James's. Can you send me a PM with your details of the way to go about making a nomination. Bet it will be the first time one could quote thread visitor numbers as possibly being in favour of the person being nominated.
Trapper 69
PS - If the moderator knows how to tweak the thread to include the links TD&H mentions please lend a hand here........!!!!!!!:mad:

Man-on-the-fence
15th Jan 2004, 02:32
If you need any photos of the Shuttleworth Aircraft for the application then just let me know.

I doubt it but theres not much else I can offer other than my support.

TD&H
15th Jan 2004, 19:07
G-KEST or Trapper 69, whichever you prefer, there's a PM on its way with a link.

MOTF, looking at the Honours nomination advice, support is what is needed, with evidence and testimonials of why the individual should be honoured. So once the information is out here for us to use, then the more people like you who are willing to send in their letters of support then the better chance we have of an honour finding its way to these guys.

Regards all

G-KEST
22nd Jan 2004, 00:05
It has gone a bit quiet however her is the situation so far. The cabinet office website has given me the requisite format for a recommendati9on along with application forms. A very well known engineer and display pilot has kindly written a fabulous supporting document for Chris and I am around 20% through one for Brian with a major contribution coming from one display pilot who flew with Firebird. Assistance has been offered by the BAeA and I hope to get the HAA involved on Chris's behalf. AOPA have also expressed their willingness to assist and maybe the RAeC will also come into the picture. All in all progress is coming along nicely. Maybe with extra support from you guys out there we will have a really deserving recipient of some grade of the Order of the British Empire (before it becomes the Order of the Brussellian Bureaucrats................!!!!).
Thanks for the input and if you do not like my choice then by all means get on your bikes and make your own recommendations.
Cheers,
Trapper 69

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Jan 2004, 01:35
Errrr! Sorry, I am not sure what links you are referring to. Enlighten me and I will see what I can do.

Btw, I would endorse Brian's nomination as I used to fly with him for a couple of years when he joined the Leisure Sport team.

TD&H
26th Jan 2004, 18:03
PPRuNe Pop:

Perhaps by now Trapper69 won't need the link he had referred to. He is certainly working hard to gather all the information he needs for the nominations.

For the rest of us: any nomination does require good knowledge and supporting information about the nominee, so we admirers of the work of Chris and Brian will have to wait to see what Trapper69 can do with the support of people in the know. Also the awards can take up to 18 months to be approved after the initial receipt of a nomination. We must wait to hear.

Perhaps Trapper69 can keep us aware of how things are going and I'm sure he will be able to call upon Ppruners who can help to do so. He has an important job in framing the nominations well so they will be approved. Thanks are to be given to him for his hard work.

Aileron Roll
27th Jan 2004, 16:59
My vote would have to be for RAY HANNA....... Does anyone really have to say more about this guy !

G-KEST
7th Feb 2004, 01:16
:O
Ray was awarded the Air Force Cross for his long time leading of the Red Arrows when they were on Gnats so many years ago. He has been a real leader of the warbird scene in the UK for so many years following his retirement from the RAF and OFMC is the result. It was pure magic to see the Breitling Fighters in recent years and I look forward to seeing the team if not the sponsor at Wanaka. The AFC is the highest peacetime decoration in service flying and was richly deserved. I cannot plough the furrow for every case but I will certainly make every effort to see the civil display pilot and engineer community on a future honours list. Thanks to everyone for your support. I will try to keep you updated as to progress.
Trapper 69

Fokkerwokker
7th Feb 2004, 03:38
I would also like to endorse the application for Brian L.

Having flown with him as a display pilot (Stampe) in the early days therafter ferry and corporate hospitality pilot on the Pitts and Extras, I can attest to his extremely focussed ideas about getting it right. Firebird was an exceptionally professional operation under his stewardship and it was dismal news indeed the day he told me that he had decided to pull the plug.

QDMQDMQDM
7th Feb 2004, 05:20
Erm, this will sound a bit strange and possibly a bit creepy, but I don't care. I think Danny should be up for something for services to the aviation community for creating this extraordinary forum for the world's pilots to exchange views. PPRUNE is one of the biggest things to happen to aviation for a long time and I think its creator should be recognised.

I have no personal brief for Danny and from the tone of his posts I doubt we'd get on if we met in person, but he's done an awesome job and this site continues to make an incredible contribution to, among many other things, flight safety. That needs acknowledging.

Give him a gong!

QDM

G-KEST
7th Feb 2004, 06:13
:confused:
QDMQDMQDM - Agreed but its all yours. Love the Pprune fora but I need to keep my eye on the ball that I am attempting to get in the honours goal.
Trapper 69

TD&H
16th Jun 2004, 13:25
Calling G-KEST (or Trapper 69)

What's the latest on the nominations?

I hope you don't mind this thread coming back up, but I wondered if you could give an update, for those who are interested, in your gathering of information and forwarding of nominations.

Regards and best wishes in your endeavours

Cheers H

stiknruda
16th Jun 2004, 14:53
TD&H - have a funny feeling that G-KEST is currently incommunicado in the Antipides.

Stik

TD&H
16th Jun 2004, 15:08
Stik:

Incommunicado? Have looked in every atlas available but couldn't find that one. Am off downunder later this year (big Island, not Two Island country), so will see if any of their atlases list it!

Anyway, thanks for the info, will hope that he will see this on his return and let us know what's happening. Big hope is that his endeavours will lead to success.

Cheers H

G-KEST
21st Jun 2004, 10:56
Hello folks,
Got my knees brown and a small dose of hypothermia in NZ but a fair bit of great flying along with the Wanaka show. Also went to Stauning for the KZ rally - a long held ambition. Yesterday two aerobatic sorties in our Skybolt from Leicester including one display. Now to a brief update on the NYHL.
Brian Lecomber was awarded the Seagrave Trophy recently however I am still hoping to eventually submit a citation for consideration for the honours list. Same for Chris at Old Warden however there has been a bit of a holdup getting details from the management there. Will chase them up during the summer.
Glad to be back,
Regards,
Trapper 69

JDK
21st Jun 2004, 11:27
Hi Trapper,
Did I see you at OW yesterday? If I can help with Chris' nomination, let me know.

Hypothermia in NZ. Was your bungee a bit long and did they dip you by mistake? :E

Cheers
James

G-KEST
23rd Jun 2004, 16:48
The only bungee I am interested in are the rubber shock cords on our Skybolt and all those taildraggers with similar undercarriage suspensions I have flown over the years. Having fallen into the River Trent over 30 years ago I stay away from most water. After all, fish f***icate in it. You really cannot be too careful.
The South Island was a bit parky especially at Wanaka having both taken along mainly lightweight casual clothes as luggage.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - OW was magic on Saturday evening and all the website posting photographers have captured it magnificently. By the time we got home the initial shots were on the web. Fantastic..!