PDA

View Full Version : Air One

James / dunno
31st Dec 2003, 12:05
I flew some years ago for 6 times with Air One (it's an italian airline that is in alliance with Lufthansa). I've never heard about them anymore! Does anyone have an idea if they are making money or if they are going to close the company or sell it to somebody? I am anyway sure that they are still flying but it is like a very quite and silent company... do you understand?
Happy New Year

James

Skunkie
31st Dec 2003, 14:26
hi James...Air one has a long story...it started from a small aerotaxi called Aliadriatica (I've been flying for them sometimes in 1992) . Then "tangentopoli" (have you ever heard about it?...it meant the collapse of all the General Aviation in Italy, at least as it was intended since 1982 to 1993).
Aliadriatica was owned by Toto who, with some pilots, cabin crew and operations, started one of the first low cost company in Italy.
At the beginning it was quite difficult, then with the Lufthansa alliance they gained credibility.
A long time I'm not into contact with them, but I think they are effectuated by the deregulation and the spread of a lot of new companies (some good and some like falling stars :sad:
They are flying almost from Milan Linate , even if they started in Rome basically national routes and some charter.
The fact that is a very quiet and silent company could be a strategy...after all they have Lufthansa behind.
Some years ago I knew the chief pilot, but now he's retired, so I got no fresh news.
Concerning cabin crew, I know there are a lot of seasonal worker, while pilots are luckier - no season- but I think they gotta pay their type rating, if they don't have B-737 (think they have 200, 300, maybe 400).
No voices in Italy about selling the company, but -you know- today is today and tomorrow's another day!!!!:D
a lot of pilots passed over there, then changed to Volare (it's much more critical) or Neos (no comment). Personally I think it is a quite steady and they're are applying a low profile strategy.
All Companies in Italy are going thru a "turbolence area".
Best thing you could do is ask them (unless you are already inside)their programs, trying to contact the more pilots that you can. Unfortunately I lost my contacts, but maybe I can try to ask to the retired (limits of age) chief pilot and try to learn some more!

Best luck

Skunkie

billyg
31st Dec 2003, 22:05
Air One now operate 28 737s including 4x 800. They seem to be doing alright!