PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Wins Capa Airline of the Year Award

Wirraway
31st Dec 2003, 09:28
Asia Pulse
Wednesday December 31, 11:52 AM AEST

Virgin Blue Wins Capa Airline of the Year Award

BRISBANE, Dec 31 Asia Pulse - Budget airline Virgin Blue has won the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation's (CAPA) Airline of the Year award.

The Brisbane-based airline shared the award with AirAsia which is based in Malaysia.

CAPA said the two airlines, although operating in different environments, had spearheaded a new direction for the Asia Pacific airline industry.

"In just a few short months, last year's predictions that the low cost phenomenon had no place in this region have been overturned - and the industry will never be the same again," CAPA said.

The centre said Virgin Blue had confounded most "experts" by growing its market share beyond 30 per cent against Qantas.

Its listing on the stock exchange exceeded all expectations and valued the airline at around A$2.5 billion (US$1.87 billion) - after starting three years ago with just A$14.73 million (US$11.0 million) in seed capital.

Virgin Blue, operating as Pacific Blue, also plans to commence international operations between Australia and New Zealand in February 2004.

Australia's other major airline Qantas won the CAPA Asia Pacific Airline of the Century of Flight which is given to the airline that has played the most significant role in Asia Pacific aviation over 100 years.

CAPA said Qantas was a clear choice with its incomparable safety record and longevity - it was established on November 16, 1920, less than 17 years after the Wright Brothers' first powered flight in 1903.

ASIA PULSE

=========================================

Pic: Latest delivery Pacific Blue VH-VOQ.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=171405

=========================================

lame
31st Dec 2003, 09:45
Lucky I read the whole story, and not just the title. :confused:

I thought at first that CAPA might have been Collision Avoiding Pilots Award. :rolleyes:

Just joking, congratulations to Virgin Blue. :ok:

OzExpat
31st Dec 2003, 11:53
G'day Wirraway, thanks for that mate. The way I read the article, it seems that Qantas got the better award tho.

Going Boeing
31st Dec 2003, 12:41
Great pic of the Pacific Blue aircraft but am curious as to why Australian registration for an airline registered in New Zealand!

DJ737
31st Dec 2003, 13:24
The Pacific Blue aircraft will be re-registered to ZK soon..I believe ZK-PBA, PBB, PBC are the first, Jan 21 will reveal all:E

Cheers
DJ737

The Roo Rooter:E :ok: