PDA

View Full Version : Airstrip Israelite Bay WA

compressor stall
31st Dec 2003, 08:05
Anyone got the co-ords and info for an airstrip at Israelite Bay (east of Esperance).

Will be there in the 4WD in a couple of weeks to check it out with the idea of flying in there at some future date.

Cheers

CS

Fred Gassit
31st Dec 2003, 09:28
Dont have coords but its on the last claypan before the beach, you cant miss it from the telegraph station. Last time I used it (18 months) it was 800 long with a thin cover of samphire, have been in there in wet wx and it holds up well, CALM uses it for their work as do others, have more info if you need

compressor stall
31st Dec 2003, 14:57
So I'll see it from the ground at the telegraph station, or at least the track going to it? Do you need permission from CALM to use it (or would they never find out/care?) :)

Cheers!

CS

poteroo
1st Jan 2004, 08:09
Israelite Bay

The strip is on CALM land, but I'm told by locals that nobody ever asks about using it. Local charter operator hauls full loads of abalone out of there in a C210, and says it's in good condition.

Strip has recently been lengthened by CALM - probably 900m or thereabouts, oriented E-W, which fits the winds very well on that corner. Take good tiedowns.

There is a legal camping ground there. The shack belongs to someone in Esperance.

Fishing said to be good.

There is a new strip under construction near Pt Malcolm, towards ESP from Israelite Bay. It is owned privately, and will eventually have holiday cabins right on the sea end of it. The block is one of the very few in WA to have absolute water frontage to the Southern Ocean. Will be a great spot for flying visits.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

defiant
1st Jan 2004, 13:36
Hi All,

A bit of the topic, but possibly of some use.....

here is a site with a few pictures taken of some WA airstrips.

Unfortunately the airstrip asked about isn't listed

http://www.flightclub.com.au/wa-airstrips/

Defiant.