PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go the FAA US hour building- UK JAA conversion route?

ArcherII
31st Dec 2003, 00:07
This is one of the routes I'm considering. Gettnig my Private Multi-Instrument ratings and building multi eingine, IFR, x/c PIC time in the US...and then converting it all to JAA licences in the UK?

Anyone done this? How did you deal with the ATPL ground school (i.e. when did you do it...to not waste time).

The other route would be to get the FAA and JAA licences in Florida, built time, and head to the UK with all the JAA licences in hand...except for the IR which I think is best to do in British airspace...

seems no point to spend money and effort getting JAA licences from people in teh US...when I could convert the FAA licences and do it the proper way in the UK...with proper JAA instrucotrs...and a ton of flight hours of experience...

Archer

gabu
3rd Jan 2004, 22:57
Yes I'm goimg out to california LA soon as a get my visa through to do some hour building & the FAA IR. Hopefully the end on Jan. Piper Archers at $62 an hour etc its a bargain not to me missed.

Where about are you thinking of flying and at what costs??

ArcherII
4th Jan 2004, 00:00
I'll probably be flying where I got my FAA PPL, in Indiana. That's where I study right now.

I can rent an Archer for $74/hour a Warrior for 70/hour...an Arrow for 105 (including tax)/hour and a Seneca for $165 (inc. tax)/hour

That's compared to some of the outragous prices in the UK, for example a Seenca for 250 POUNDS/hour...more than twice the US price!

For the price of a Warrior in the UK I can fly the Seneca!

I'm just wondering about the difficulty of the FAA to JAA conversion...I heard it' slike 15 hours for the IR and less than that for the CPL.

plus the ATPL exams...is this correct? That seems easy and cheap...compared to spending $50K+ in the UK...

Charlie Zulu
4th Jan 2004, 05:04
Hi ArcherII,

If you have an FAA Commercial and Instrument (Multi) then you'll need to go through the following conversion process to gain a JAR-FCL licence.

1) ATPL Ground Examinations via aproved course.

2) Enough Training at discretion of Chief Flying Instructor to get you through the JAA CPL Skills Test. Average around 10 hours.

3) A minimum of 15 hours JAA IR training which I believe 5 hours can be on an approved simulator.

That'll mean you'll have both a full JAA CPL/IR with ATPL Writtens out of the way *AND* an FAA CPL/IR Single Multi to go with it.

If you also have a FAA CFI or CFII rating then you'll be able to convert that to an JAA FI(R) rating for around 15 hours flight training if I remember correctly.

Having both a JAA and FAA certificates will hopefully open up a lot of different options, especially in the corporate market. Why else am I going exactly the same route? :D

All the best,

Charlie Zulu.

727Man
4th Jan 2004, 17:36
I third that motion!!,just completed CPL,Multi,IR in Florida start the JAA ATPL Ground exams in Jan. in the meantime looking for an FE Job. Much cheaper to do it this way. took me 2 1/2 Months full
time.