PDA

View Full Version : Astraeus - FYI

Arrowhead
30th Dec 2003, 22:00
This is all second hand, but I have heard that of the 4 people to complete the 737 rating at Astraeus recently...

1 got hired by Britannia - only to fail on Britannia's own training course

1 has moved on to line training

1 has been told that he has to get line training before he can be hired anywhere

... and 1 got hired in his native Iceland (how many of us speak Icelandic??!!)

I have also heard that most of the jet training businesses and airlines are short of training captains, capable of doing line the subsequent training anyway.

Just thought you would want to know...

Bobby Guzzler
31st Dec 2003, 20:54
I think they say 'a crock of 5h1t' where I come from.

Nice to know that the 20k(ish) that people give them is going to good use. They don't seem to find too many jobs for people, that is of course unless you are ageing guitar player from a rock band - bet his training file read just as well as the other masses (not).

:ok:

Snigs
6th Jan 2004, 04:20
ageing guitar player from a rock band I do wish people wouldn't flame when they don't know what they're talking about.

The man is a professional at what he does, whether in the air or on stage. I respect that, and you should too.

Bobby Guzzler
6th Jan 2004, 05:20
I'm not Mr Snigs! (and I respect the guy immensely - especially for his musical talents).

I'm simply suggesting that perhaps he was put before other people who did the same course and performed better. It's the way of the world I think they say. I am just looking out for a few of my friends who did pay the money and got nothing afterwards.

Didn't mean any offence - especially if you are an ageing rocker too.:cool:

scroggs
6th Jan 2004, 06:51
Your suggestion is out of order, as well as plain wrong. I would have hoped that a student pilot with as much 'talent' as you appear to have ('Fightertown, Herts' :yuk:, where'd you get that crap from?) might have had the decency to accept that others have been there before you, and earned the T-shirt.

Scroggs

Snigs
7th Jan 2004, 15:16
I'm not Mr Snigs! (and I respect the guy immensely - especially for his musical talents).

Then you should know that he's not a guitarist :confused:

Don't forget that he was flying the 757 for BWA before they went under and Astraeus was formed from the ashes.

Clot.

wbryce
7th Jan 2004, 16:04
whos the Ageing Guitar player?

I attended the flyer show at heathrow and the ceo of astraeus gave a very exciting speach about his past and how it led to him forming the airline, aswell as how he met this rock star, but not once did he mention his name, i must have been the only fool in the room scratching my head hehe.

ppl172
7th Jan 2004, 19:20
They're referring to Bruce Dickinson, lead singer (not guitarist) of Iron Maiden. He flys for Astraeus.

Excellent gig in Dublin last month. There was a PPRUNE bash organised around it.

Up the irons!

:cool:

ppl172.

mad_jock
8th Jan 2004, 00:43
Mind you it was a devilish Interview to get a BWA 757 rating.

First commercial interview I flunked. ;)

If he got through the same test as I got he is either very brave or has no standards.

:D

MJ

carbonfibre
8th Jan 2004, 00:53
I have to say,

Some of this sounds a bit sour, good luck to the guy, if he got as rating out of a company then good on him, its not just about being a good pilot its how you fit into the team also.

You have to remember he passed the same tests as everyone else and the im not sure about type ratings, If TRE's are CAA directs or not, but pretty sure its a CAAFU examiner on the IR probably is.

Anyhow reading a recent article its sounds like he had a few hundred if not a few thousand hours on multi engine IFR time anyway flying the band about, pretty sure that experience helped.

And if your reading this, throw some hours my way Bruce

:ok:

M.85
8th Jan 2004, 19:29
Thats true...he used to fly his band around..
He s one of the few good guys in Astraeus,always there to help and very humble.
Never asked for a his autograph as im not a fan of his music...maybe i should have.. to later sell it and get money for line training at Astraeus:yuk:

M.85

redsnail
8th Jan 2004, 22:07
Hey M-J,
I just wonder if he still offers that same style of interview? I guess the other favourite question "describe your most embarrassing moment" would be easily answered. :E

Hamrah
9th Jan 2004, 01:39
Arrowhead,

your "second-hand" information is a bit wide of the mark....

Astraeus has trained over 100 pilots since we started our TRTO. 90% of them are now flying 737's. 14 pilots are currently under training and already have jobs.

Of the remainder, well, lets just say that some are better than others. Everyone who does a course gets a de-brief at the end on their performance, capabilities and weaknesses, and we tell them if they have not flown the simulator for a period of time, to do a couple of hours refresher training before undertaking an assessment for an airline.

As regards the other matter, I hired a jet qualified pilot who has another profession. Over the years I have hired many such pilots. This one is no different (except slightly higher profile).

H

M.85
9th Jan 2004, 17:19
maybe Hamra is the fourth good guy at astraeus...if he did the "GO"video ...
If im wrong dont quick me out Moderator..its a great website:p
By the way I feel very bad now as im not part of the 90sh % hired afterwards..Oups..

M.85

GhostofCain
1st Apr 2004, 13:43
As regards the other matter, I hired a jet qualified pilot who has another profession. Over the years I have hired many such pilots. This one is no different (except slightly higher profile).

Yeah, just slightly. :)

I guess poor Bruce will have to live with this kind of bull**** all his life as a pilot :rolleyes: . Although I don't know him personally, apparently he has been flying for ages and has a lot of experience. If he's as enthusiastic about flying as he is when singing live, I'm sure he must be a really great pilot. :)