PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Photo

vintage ATCO
30th Dec 2003, 15:44
Anyone remember this:

http://www.stevelevien.com/jpgs/LIGHTN1A.JPG

Does anyone know who/what/where/when ? :confused:

I remember the photo being published in the newspapers, must have been early/mid 60s. Must have been the Daily Mirror, I think that's what my parents read!

Would like to get hold of a decent sized copy of the picture for my wall. Does anyone know if it is on the net anywhere?

VA

hjc
30th Dec 2003, 15:59
This photo shows the final seconds of Lightning F1 XG332, which crashed while on appraoch to Hatfield on 13th September 1962.

The pilot survived (although he did come down in a greenhouse if I recall correctly).

Sadly I'm typing most of this from memory as my book with all the details in is on loan to a friend.

As you say, it is a well-known photo and larger versions are available ... I'll leave it to others to give examples as I couldn't find a copy when I looked.

Hope this helps,

HJC

Reichman
30th Dec 2003, 16:32
The pilot was George Aird. He did indeed land in a large greenhouse, breaking his leg. He was unconscious and was woken by the sprinkler system.

smartman
30th Dec 2003, 19:42
And the chappy is nicely retired in Hesketh Bank, near Preston-----

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Dec 2003, 20:56
The Lightning had been out over East Anglia from Hatfield on a flight connected with development of a DH missile (IIRC). There was a fire in the rear fuselage, and because of easterly winds he had to extend out to the west to join for Hatfield's easterly runway. During this extended time in the air, the fire caused either elevator or tailplane control failure on short final, leading to the attitude shown in the picture.

SSD

vintage ATCO
30th Dec 2003, 22:35
Thanks everyone. :D

I am intrigued how the photo came to be taken. Someone out doing a photo shoot for Farmer's Weekly Playmate of the Month? :p

VA

WG774
30th Dec 2003, 22:51
XG332 is listed on this site: Lightening - Vertical Reality (http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/Lightning_Gallery.html)

Alas there are no pictures of XG332, but it has some nice pics of other birds such as this one:

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xp745h29Sq.jpg

wub
31st Dec 2003, 00:12
Vintage:

The pic used to be at

http://www.aeropages.co.za/ThisnThat3.html

I can't get it right now but the server might just be down.

Fokkerwokker
31st Dec 2003, 00:37
'Gentleman' George was ,for many years, to be seen around the bazaars at the helm of the Mosquito

vintage ATCO
31st Dec 2003, 00:40
Thanks wub. I can't get it either but I'll keep trying.

VA

Dr Illitout
31st Dec 2003, 01:51
Any news on the tractor?:D :D :D

DamienB
31st Dec 2003, 05:49
The largest copy of this shot available on the web is, I think, this one (http://www.hangout.no/foto/0112lightning_skydive.jpg)

I thought the copyright resided with Mirror Syndication International but a search on Mirrorpix.com does not find this shot (though lots of Lightnings strutting their stuff at Farnborough and a few nice shots from various tests).

spekesoftly
31st Dec 2003, 08:21
A few more details can be gleaned from this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48463&highlight=Aird) earlier thread.

astir 8
31st Dec 2003, 15:58
The tractor is a Fordson Super Major of about 45 hp flat out - it would have been blue with orange front wheels. Probably cost about £950 new and was built in Basildon.

These days it would have an EEC-specified roll-over protected cab, be fitted with air conditioning, heater and stereo, multiple electronics, have at least 120 hp, cost at least £30 grand and be built by the Fiat/New Holland/Case/IH conglomerate anywhere but in the UK!

That's progress - the UK tractor building industry has gone pretty much the same way as English Electric and the Lightning

But how the f*** did that photo get taken???? There's been no reply on that one

hairyclameater
1st Jan 2004, 01:58
Photo was taken by local man Jim Meads who was trying to take a shot of his 2 young lads with the lightning screaming in over their heads- what for a few seconds more could have been a disastrous day out for them. Has become one of the classic prang shots with thankfully (yet again acolades to messrs Martin Baker)a safe conclusion although RIP a few dozen tomatoes(!)

sycamore
1st Jan 2004, 06:03
If you want to see some eco-friendly" Fordson Majors", powered by Merlins, Griffons, Allisons, Hercules , and Klimovs,

trywww.tractorpulling.com (http://)

SPIT
1st Jan 2004, 07:31
George was a founder member of No 7F Squadron ATC and they got a copy of the Photo from the Press Office of the Daily Mail (I think). If you contact the paper I am sure they will let you have a copy. He said when he woke up in the tometo greenhouse and was being sprinkled with water his first thought was THAT HE WAS IN HEAVEN) He flew the Mossy HT-E (sadly now gone) for BAC where he was also a Pilot at Harwarden up to his retirement.

Dr Illitout
3rd Jan 2004, 01:59
Well done astir 8 I've always wondered!!!!. Now what did the ploughman have for his lunch?!!!!. Seriously, that is a classic photo. I also think that I have a Lightning book somewere that HASN'T got that picture in in!!!. That must be against the law?!
Rgds Dr I

Zlin526
3rd Jan 2004, 02:12
But how the f*** did that photo get taken???? There's been no reply on that one

I am reliably informed that the photograph was taken with an invention called 'The Camera' This superb piece of engineering was invented in a heavy engineering works in Burnley just after World War 2, and examples can still be seen in former Eastern Bloc Countries. Good examples have been known to fetch prices of up to 5 Guineas on Ebay.

Z
:E

But seriously folks,

Did George Aird's parachute stream to full extent. Looks a little low for full deployment of the 'chute..

Z

DamienB
3rd Jan 2004, 02:36
Ah Zlin do you know how many times I stopped myself from replying 'with a camera' :p

Zlin526
3rd Jan 2004, 02:50
Damien,

Sorry, I couldn't resist it!

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2004, 06:37
Zlin526 - why resist? Humour is partly why this forum is so brilliant! The rest is the quality of the posts!

That pic is another classic Ouch pic along with the G-KEST denouement (If I spelled that right I'll have another pint of the same please?) in the Stampe/Tiger entanglement and Benjy's spinning Tiger at Sywell. (Methinks he should have used a Curtiss Jenny... Spinning Jenny... No? I'll go to bed...)

Now. I'd like to see that famous photo of a Cessna 180 plus pilot and parachutist all suspended under a one man canopy... all suvived, except maybe the C180. Somebody must have a copy!

Zlin526
3rd Jan 2004, 17:44
treadigraph,

Yes I agree, which is why this particular forum is a breath of fresh air.....People seem to enjoy flying on here...

Has anyone got the pictures of Stampe vs Tiger Moth at Weston, and Benji's contretemps at Sywell in the Super Tiger?

G-KEST, I'd completely understand if you objected to seeing it again.

Would love to see them again.

Z

Spitfire PRXIX
6th Jan 2004, 18:29
If anyone does have or can source a larger good quality photo of the lightning i would be gratefull for a copy as well. many thanks.

treadigraph
6th Jan 2004, 20:34
Right, heerz Benjy, a foot or so off the deck!

(pic removed by Treadders!)

As Aerohack pointed out on the Rothmans thread, John Blake added a "thought" bubble to the copy pinned on the Tiger Club's notice board: "If this doesn't kill me, Norman (Jones) will!

I won't leave it here for too long; apart from anything else, I'm hosting it on the company website (must figure out my own space sometime). If the image has gone and you'd like to see it, feel free to PM me.

The only copies of the Stampe/Tiger entanglement I've ever seen were in Pilot a few years ago.

Cheers

Treadders

DamienB
6th Jan 2004, 21:01
:ooh:

Come on then, somebody put the mid-air pic up (assuming both parties were okay).

Aerohack
6th Jan 2004, 21:30
I have the Weston mid-air photo, but can't lay hand to it, and anyway it is not my copyright. Both pilots weren't OK. G-KEST escaped unscathed (or more or less?) but the Tiger pilot suffered serious injuries and I think he lost an eye.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Jan 2004, 00:17
I've got a paperback book called 'into the silk' or suchlike, about parachute escapes. It not only has the 'Lightning' photo in, but also the 182 at Ashbourne descending nose first under a canopy after a jumper got tangled with the tail (jumper is 'twixt canopy and 182). All survived OK IIRC (not at home at present, so can't check).

SSD

treadigraph
7th Jan 2004, 00:34
Ah, the 182 at Ashbourne - that must be the C180 I referred to a couple of posts up - any chance of posting it or sending me a copy - I've never seen it! Think you are right that all survived OK.

Another remarkable photograph I can remember seeing many years ago was in a copy of National Geographic. It was of a C182 or C206 (I think) at the very moment of impact with a lorry either in South America or Africa. Various people who were on the lorry are caught in the act of leaping clear - I hope - in all directions. No idea what caused it or what happened to the occupants of the aircraft or the lorry. I don't think the caption elaborated...

Beeayeate
7th Jan 2004, 03:05
treadigraph

Is this the one?

http://www.canberra.plus.com/pics/Cessna-01.jpg

Didn't realise it was from Nat Geo, always thought it was a clever fake.

:ok:

CamelPilot
7th Jan 2004, 03:20
Heads up nice people.

Please consider any posting of pictures of a doubtful kind i.e. those involving fellow pilots who were badly injured or worse. Aerohack has already alluded to it - quite rightly. Benjy will not mind 'his' picture being seen but I agree with Treadders for a different reason than he has mentioned for it's removal.

This forum is thought very highly of and I would not like us to give a the wrong impression. Leave that to other sites where some pics are very out of place and unsavoury.

Just a thought which I am sure has already crossed some minds.

CP

Reichman
7th Jan 2004, 06:24
I can't see the problem with showing pictures that have already been published in past aviation magazines. There are far more unsavoury things shown in national newsparers every day. Whilst I do not condone sensationalizing plane crashes, they are a fact of aviation life. It is not being ghoulish, just showing an interest.

Reichman

treadigraph
7th Jan 2004, 15:29
Point taken CamelPilot. Zlin, can you PM me when you've seen it, and I'll delete.

For anyone who doesn't know the story, the accident resulted from a stall/spin during crazy flying - Benjy was flying again within a few days and the Tiger flew again, at least for a while.

Beeayeate, yes, that's the one. It appears to have been reversed though, I think the open panel on the cowling of the Cessna (an early C172?) should be on the r/h side, and I certainly recall the pic being the other way round. Visible blade indicates prop stationery and I'd assume that panel had popped open prior to the accident. Don't think it's a fake: IIRC it appeared in National Gegraphic towards the end of the seventies. As I say, the caption didn't explain much that I can remember, but I like to think that all concerned got out OK.