PDA

View Full Version : Broadband question

peeteechase
30th Dec 2003, 14:26
Hi guys,
Does anyone know anything about broadband? I have just been connected and installed a very fancy Netgear 534G ADSL modem and router switch. It connects ok and the settings all seem fine but I can't seem to access the internet. I have tried 3 different PC's, all with various OS with same result?
Any ideas out there please
Best regards,
ptc

The Nr Fairy
30th Dec 2003, 15:33
ptc:

Which ADSL service provider are you with ? I assume they've given you all the technical details required to conect, like a user name and password ?

I too have a DG834G (assuming you've made a typo) and this is what you need to do to ensure your Internet connection works:[list=1]
Click on Setup Wizard near the top left of the screen
Fill out all the boxes in the first screen, then click Next
Keep going through all the other screens, accepting defaults except for username and password, and you should be OK.
[/list=1]
Once you've done all that and the wizard has finished, click "Router Status" on the left, then "Connection Status" on the bottom - note any error messages, then contact your ISP if you still have problems.

Rupert S
30th Dec 2003, 16:23
First make sure the the internet connection is plugged into the correct part of the router, it's usually marked WAN. Faiiling that, most router/modems have natural firewalls within them. The firewall may be denying access either to the PCs or to the external internet connection. Check the settings of the firewall. The exact way to do this differs from router to router but usually, if you go into your web browser, the address 192.168.123.254 takes you into the router's setup page. Make sure there aren't any rogue settings in the firewall. If it still doesn't work, try assigning static IP addresses to each PC, set those IP addresses in the respective PCs and that should solve the problem (note: If you havn't assigned IP addresses, then ensure that the PCs are set up to get their IP addresses from a DHCP server).

peeteechase
1st Jan 2004, 18:32
Thanks guys and a Happy New Year one and all,
further to my broadband headache (amongst others!), I finally managed to get the Netgear ADSL router going. The problem was that my computers (even one with XP) could not resolve DNS addresses automatically, so it was a "simple" case of assigning these manually. A case of "DNS the menace" methinks.
The modem now runs like a dream and I have got a wired network running between 3 PCs with full internet access.
The one problem I have is that my laptop, which I have a Buffalo Wireless card for, can pick up my router and shows a good connection, but will not allow me access to the internet or the home network.
As well as the Buffalo software I have tried WinNc, also showing a good connection. Access control is off, so I am pretty well stumped.
I chose the Buffalo card over the Netgear one because it has an antenna connector and I was thinking of making a "pringles aerial" or maybe the irish equivalent the Walkers crisp bag.

Any ideas out there?
thanks guys
ptc

ORAC
1st Jan 2004, 20:30
May be a time delay problem. Enter the IP addresses into your laptop manually.

peeteechase
3rd Jan 2004, 05:12
Thanks Orac,
Glad to see there's another Blakes Seven fan out there.
Tried what you suggested but I have given up with the buffalo card. Will try the Netgear version, might be more compatible.
Best regards,
ptc