PDA

View Full Version : Singapore A340-500 pilots--question

Donkey Duke
30th Dec 2003, 08:55
How many pilots at Singapore Airlines are going to the A340-500 for nonstop service to LAX and JFK? Would that be a popular aircraft due to the long stage lengths? I read somewhere that the flight from JFK back to Singapore could be 18 hours. Are there any other A340's at the airline, or did they get rid of those? And, how many total A340-500s will they get at the airline? Much appreciated.

The Prisoner
2nd Jan 2004, 10:01
Most Guys who requested A345-500 have had last 4 months off on full pay!! Airbus courses imminent, then to work once or twice per month. Perfect.

Sounds great, but I only hope the boys have insurance to cover the cost of all those skin grafts, when they retire at an early age. 18 hours of irradiation over the poles dont sound like what I got into aviation for.

combi pilot
6th Jan 2004, 23:10
SIA are getting 10 A345s. 5 firm and 5 on order, total worth US$2.2 billion, inclusive of spares and all..

So far, the other A340 series have been sold off and no other variants are expected.

As for the popularity of the long range flights, that remains to be seen. THe 2 class configuration of Raffles Class and Executive Economy are targeted at the higher-end business traveller market. Lots of bells and whistles featured to keep the passengers happy on the long sector..

THe mainstay of the future fleet will consist of B777s, A345s and A380s. Watch out for the A380. THat will be a big thing that's going to change the way airlines and ground handlers operate.. as it is now, plenty of specs meetings underway.