PDA

View Full Version : RAF Medical question

Big Cheese1
30th Dec 2003, 07:28
Hi one and all!!

I recently spoke to the lovely people at OASC in regards to colour perception standards, and found that I'm ok for Weapon Systems Officer(navigator), but not for pilot.

I'm cp3, however, for pilot you need cp2.

I'm just wondering how there can be such a difference betweenthe two when surely for an aircraft such as a tornado you're looking at the same type of screens as the pilot?

My knowledge as to why there would be a difference is very elementary, but if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated!!

One last point, does anyone know what coule be expected if you were to go down the appeals route? I have heard that at time the medical board can be felexible, and that even though they give the impression of not budging from the requirements, the sometimes do.

Any gen would be great guys and gals

Thanks in advance

BC

themoffster
31st Dec 2003, 05:52
I did the RAF pilot tests years ago (98) and passed at CP2 (the colour flick book with the numbers) but they made me do a CP1 test (lantern test - where they have two little holes and you have to say which the two colours are).

I failed the CP1 test and wasn't allowed to fly as pilot. Broke my heart.

Big Cheese1
31st Dec 2003, 19:59
well thats strange, I did the flick book, but could only do a few, then did the lantern test, which I passed no probs. but they graded me cp3.

I'm just wondering if I have a case at all to try and appeal this as by looking around on this forum, passing the lantern should be fine.

Any RAF doctors about??

themoffster
1st Jan 2004, 02:05
That's not the strange thing - after they failed me and told me I couldn't be a pilot I continued and did the rest of the tests that were on offer (as I was in Cranwell and I live just outside Glasgo, Scotland) and passed all the other tests.

I was then offered a Flying Scholarship which I undertook in the summer of '98 at Dundee. 20hrs flying around costing absolutey no money. If they failed me why did they send me on this course?

Would have done something about it at the time, but TBH, I felt I was wasting my time.

After I graduate I might go back, or I might see out my career as a software engineer.

Big Cheese1
5th Jan 2004, 00:08
guys, is there any clarification as to what CP3 and CP2 is?

How do they differentiate between the two?

Thanks so far aswell themoffster