PDA

View Full Version : Gator

FJJP
30th Dec 2003, 03:51
I've got this stupid software on my machine that is continually trying to connect to the internet, supposedly from the Gator Corporation. I don't remember loading it (but that's no guarantee that I didn't!)

I have tried to uninstall it without success (it won't allow it or delete) and it doesn't appear in the listing in the add/remove programs in control panel.

What is it, and how do I get rid of it?

BOAC
30th Dec 2003, 04:18
Have a read here (http://www.cexx.org/gator.htm) for starters! Bad luck. I would think 'Adaware' might be able to clean it for you?

rickity
30th Dec 2003, 04:28
FJJP

Sounds like you have been able to identify the program causing you the problem, and I'm assuming the reason you cant delete it is because it is running. So first thing is to stop it running. this can be done from task manager in win98, control-alt -delete will bring the task manager up, select the program and end it. in win xp go to control panel, administrative tools and services and spot the program there. double clicking on the program will give you proporties where you can change the type of start up disable would seem good.

Once stopped you should be able to delete it but this may give other errors as the program is not found etc. you need to try and find where it is started. Have a look in MSconfig (type that into the box thats presented from start menu - run) Good for 98 and xp and see if you can find the program in any of the selections and disable it.

If its not found under any of the selections in msconfig then it will be a registry entry, a little more awkward and worthy of backing up before you start in this area.

Lets see if any other ideas come from the forum first though

Rickity

PS looks like BOAC was typing at the same time his link looks like the answer, good luck

Front_Seat_Dreamer
30th Dec 2003, 04:42
I always Growl when I see that parasite mentioned on any of these forums, I foolishly said yes to a download that I did not initiate a few years back and it took over my surfing.

Good news however is that:

AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com)

or

Spybot Search & Destroy (http://security.kolla.de)

should rid you of this bloody program.

Also let this be a warning to you and others that when you are offered a 'free' download which will enhance your internet experience as I have often seen Gator tout itself, it usually is too good to be true... except I suppose in the case of the two programs I have mentioned.

Gator also installs itself into your Add/Remove programs but often gives itself another name and I have found on more than one occasion that it doesn't remove itself completely.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Dec 2003, 05:25
FJJP,

I have used Ad-Aware many times to get Gator out of people's comps. It removes it every time.

Take Care,

Richard

FJJP
30th Dec 2003, 05:46
Hey! Guys - Spybot did the trick!

PPrune to the fore, yet again!

Sits back, starts Star Trek film [for the nth time], quaffs glass of fine red, reflects on the value of PPrune colleagues, reaches for tissue, wipes eyes.... Marvellous how one feels when bashing one's head against a brick wall alluvasudden stops!

Deep joy... Thanks! :D :ok:

phnuff
31st Dec 2003, 21:44
Dont relax yet. Trouble with paracites like Gator (and all of their fellow bits of spyware), is that they have a habit of coming back again. I would suggest you put both spybot and adaware on your machine and run them regually (like once a week). FYI, spybot gives a little warning about adaware. Personally, I have never had any trouble running them on the same machine

Death to Spyware

FJJP
2nd Jan 2004, 07:13
Thanks for the advice - I'll do just that...

allthatglitters
2nd Jan 2004, 18:34
Watch out, they have changed there name.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/gator/default.asp

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Jan 2004, 12:19
allthatglitters,

I was working on a customer's computer today who had Gator. All the registry keys and folders were listed as Claria. That program, and a few other malware programs, had ground this poor computer to a crawl while online. (Well it did not help that they were using AOL 6.0 with a static filled phone line either.) The Ad-Aware Download was using Bytes to list the download speed from an FTP that was less than 30 miles away. :eek:

It was so bad, I went off and had lunch, since I could not see sitting there for an hour with the meter running, baby sitting a download. After getting Ad-Aware installed and running, it made a world of difference on that computer. When I left he was getting around 5k/sec download.

I am starting to think I am making more money off of Gator than the people that made the program. I cannot believe how many computers I find with that malware on it.

Take Care,

Richard

BEagle
4th Jan 2004, 15:29
Interestingly, when I checked my PPRuNe mail today, some unsolicited software pop-up offer appeared. "Do you want to install......." - it was from the Gator corporation. Of course I just $hit-canned it. The next time, another piece of junk was offered from 'Gain' or somesuch. It too was binned.

Things are beginning to broach the security of the PPRUne mail system, perhaps those in the know should check it out.....