PDA

View Full Version : Jaa Atpl & Mcc

FLYEPPS
29th Dec 2003, 23:12
Quick question folks. My next couple of months are pretty planned out, i.e. ATPL exams through NAS sometime in August, my CPL in September/October and then off to the UK to do my IR skills test in January/Feb '05.

Currently have all my FAA ratings -3000TT work as a instrument instructor in Arizona.

The IR skills test I am told must be done in the UK. Is this done in an aircraft? SEL or MEL? Can it be done in a simulator; such as a Level C or D? I was told I can do a short test (15 hours).

After this I am interested in Inter-Cockpit's MCC course in the MD-11 in Frankfurt. My question is, does the MCC also have to be done in the UK? Would doing it in FRA be O.K. as long as it conforms to the basic JAR regs?

Does anyone have any gouge or info on Inter-cockpit? I'm interested in the MD-11 as I wish to do cargo only; seems like this is the aircraft- may not get into it right away but am heading in the right direction.

Any advise would be appreciated. :ok:

FlyingForFun
29th Dec 2003, 23:21
Flyepps,

- The IR will be done in a single-engine aircraft if you want a single-engine IR, or a multi-engine aircraft if you want a multi-engine IR. The privileges of a multi-engine IR can be used in a single-engine aircraft as long as you have a valid single engine class rating. As far as I know, the test can't be done in a simulator.

- "I was told I can do a short test (15 hours)". I think you mean a short course, which must be completed before the test? Yes, the course is reduced to a minimum of 15 hours if you already hold a valid ICAO IR. Some of this time can be completed in a simulator - I can't remember exactly how much though.

- As far as I know, the MCC can be done at any JAR-approved location, regardless of which state's authority approved it. The rules relating to inter-state licenses do appear to be changing, though, so I would suggest getting written confirmation of this from the authority in whichever state will issue your JAR CPL before signing up (I assume the UK from whaty you've said in your post?).

- I haven't got to that stage yet, but reading what others have written about the MCC, it seems that the aircraft you do this course on is not all that relevant. So it is probably not worth going out of your way to do it on an MD-11 sim just because that's an aircraft which you'd like to fly... although obviously there's no harm in doing so if it's convenient.

The definitive UK answers to all these questions will be somewhere in LASORS - except, possibly, for the questions about doing different bits in different countries.

FFF
---------------

FLYEPPS
30th Dec 2003, 11:07
Thanks for the info FFF.

My relatives live in FRA and doing the MCC there would be very convenient and I'm somewhat of a LH "fiend" :O so doing something out of FRA would be somewhat of a "dream" of mine.

That's neither here nor there...

Have you done your ME IR yet? Any suggestions as to which schools I should be looking at? What type of pricing for a twin can I expect?

Thanks
Pat