PDA

View Full Version : Copy and Paste (Not first time)

exeng
29th Dec 2003, 17:55
Win XP. When I copy from any program and attempt to paste it to another the 'paste' option is not available when 'right clicking' at the first attempt. After copying it second time the paste function works OK. Very irritating.

I'm certain this problem was not in evidence when I first installed XP but has surfaced after one of the many 'winows updates' I have installed.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Exeng

exeng
30th Dec 2003, 03:45
Yes I'm virus updated and have run a scan. I've also checked separately for the Welchia.Worm.

Enable is selected in Tools / internet options / security tab / custom level / scroll down to 'Drag and drop or copy and paste files.

I cannot paste using Ctrl + V = Paste

I'm not using a limited account.

Please note that a paste works at the second attempt.

I'm still stumped!

Regards
Exeng

Front_Seat_Dreamer
30th Dec 2003, 05:03
My first thoughts on this one were that you have a virus, what AV are you using as none are 100% reliable.

It may be worth trying the online scanner @ antivirus.com (http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/products/housecall_pre.php)

Can you copy and paste complete documents etc or is it just text based problems and do you have the same problem when you cut and paste.

FSD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Dec 2003, 05:29
Exeng,

While you are at it, you can run:

Trend Micro's HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

To make sure your Antivirus Program was not disabled by a virus.

Take Care,

Richard

exeng
30th Dec 2003, 06:12
Front Seat Dreamer,

Problem is with all documents including text based. Same if I cut & paste.

Richard @ Naples,

I've run Trend and found no problems.

Thanks for trying everybody, it was kind of you to spare me some of your time. I'll just live with it for now as I have for months anyway. I had just wondered if anybody had come across this problem before and had a quick fix.

Regards
Exeng

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Dec 2003, 13:48
Exeng,

Just wondering how old the WinXP install is and if it was an upgrade or a fresh install?

Take Care,

Richard

Belgique
30th Dec 2003, 14:07
Same Problem here

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94860&highlight=paste

"The problem disappeared (along with a few others) after a recent MS Win XP patch upgrade debug fix."

exeng
30th Dec 2003, 17:01
The problem is evident on my desktop which was an upgrade version of XP, and also my laptop which was a version supplied by the manufacturer. Both OS's have been updated completely via windows update. I've checked for viruses by three different methods now and nothing found.

Belgique,

I think the problem experienced was slightly different.

I've had a quick scout around the MS knowledge base but found nothing that specifically covers my problem.

Regards
Exeng

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Dec 2003, 23:49
Exeng,

If you can reproduce the problem on two different computers then one of two things is going on:

The computer user is operating the computer incorrectly

There is a program common to both computers what if causing the problem

It sounds like #2 is the problem. It could be, there is a program installed on both machines that uses either the copy command or paste command as a shortcut for some other function?

Take Care,

Richard

exeng
31st Dec 2003, 00:00
I think you are probably correct with your assumption of option 2.

How I would find which is the naughty program I don't know, unless I spend ages removing various programmes etc.

A format and clean install would be one sure way I suppose, but I don't feel up to the pain of that again just yet!

Regards
Exeng

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Dec 2003, 00:28
Exeng,

The two ways would be the fresh install on the Desktop Comp (since it was an upgrade and not a fresh install to begin with) or check the websites of the programs you installed to see if any of them mention the problem in they FAQ or Forums.

Take Care,

Richard