View Full Version : UK flying and new min alcohol levels; what is MOD advising?

Bertie Thruster
29th Dec 2003, 16:33
What advice, if any, have you guys been given re new legislation?

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
29th Dec 2003, 17:37
Crew members are not to take alcohol for a period of at least 12 hours before planned take off time.....alcohol consumption 24 hours before should be modest eg. no more than 2.5 pints of beer or the equivalent.

No news on the new rules, there is a thread on Rumours and News covering the change in civvy law, early 2004 according to the thread author.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113035&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

When and if we do get our GASO amended, I'll be most interested in the interpretation with regard to 'ancillaries'

Maybe the Sky Marshall (for the civvies) or our own RAF Police ATSY could take responsibility for enforcement

:}

Then we could be marched off the aircraft at gunpoint.

Bertie Thruster
29th Dec 2003, 17:56
Thanks for that, SirPHL, a fairly universal reg that ensures alcohol levels less than 80mg the next day.

I'd be interested to hear what the new GASO recomendation will be in order to ensure a level below 20mg!!

hotshots!
30th Dec 2003, 06:53
"UK flying and new min alcohol level" - minimum alcohol level to go flying, what a great idea!:D :cool: :) ;)

Bertie Thruster
30th Dec 2003, 17:52
Hotshots; I wondered what I'd been doing wrong all these years!

I thought, in basics, they told us "always fly hydrated"!

Thanks anyway, I've corrected the heading.

Lionel Lion
30th Dec 2003, 19:05
New legislation? 2 Gp will sit on it, then overstaff it, make a rapid panic decison when it appears to have a timescale, and then no doubt introduce it as a BTR.

Cynical, moi?:=

Impiger
30th Dec 2003, 20:07
Bertie,

I always found a glass of sherry before night flying was positively beneficial.

soddim
30th Dec 2003, 20:54
I always flew by the advice "No drinking on the ladder and no smoking in the cockpit" - worked OK for me. Knew a lot of mates who died of flying but none who died of drinking. Therefore, 'no flying' would be better advice than 'no drinking'.

BEagle
31st Dec 2003, 03:34
"No drinking within 50 ft of the aeroplane"

Should suffice.

I_stood_in_the_door
31st Dec 2003, 04:40
dont get caught!!

hee hee

isitd

:yuk:

Bertie Thruster
31st Dec 2003, 21:11
Could be a bit of a problem when you fly with 2 policemen, every day !

ShyTorque
1st Jan 2004, 02:03
Not really, Bertie.

Just insist on them taking the breathaliser test first...... :E

MrBernoulli
1st Jan 2004, 20:11
"To whom does the Act apply? Flight Crew, CC, ATC and LAMEs in the UK and to the crew of a British registered aircraft anywhere in the world."

The above quote is from Flying Lawyer's thread over in Rumours and News. Does that imply that crews of foreign registered aircraft flying in the UK can't be prosecuted? I'd be interested to hear.