PDA

View Full Version : A Yank in the Land of OZ

galaxy flyer
29th Dec 2003, 10:05
Hello:

What would the chances of an American getting a flying job in Oz be? Age 51, 8000 hours with about 3500 Heavy Jet in Command plus slathers of BizJet time. Right now, about to retire from USAF.

GF

the wizard of auz
29th Dec 2003, 10:09
About as much chance as me getting a job in the states I would guess.
plenty of unemployed pilots over here too.

hoss
29th Dec 2003, 10:52
G'day GF,

Mate, I wish I could say 'no worries' but your situation seems very unique. Try www.viginblue.com.au for a 737 job and www.jetstar.com.au for a A320 job but there are already a stack of guys going for those. With regard to our biz jet market it is almost non existant compared to what you have over there. If you can find a copy of the 'yellow pages'(our phone book) on-line you may be able to find some of the companies particularly around Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

In the turbo-prop market there are quite a number of companies and Airlines all over Australia. Let me know how you go with finding the 'yellow pages'.

Try www.pilot.staffcv.com to get an idea of what some of the larger companies are after.

Now back to your original question 'what the chances are?'. Well if you have the visas/documentation to allow you to work here I personaly don't see why not, others may. I fly with an ex-USAF jock in my current job, I think he has been here close to 10 years.

Like in the USA there are a lot of guys 'on the street' and looking. If only our countries and companies allowed a 'Pilot exchange program' I'd be over there(USA) in a flash.

Hope this helps a little, it is a hard question.

Best wishes, hoss :)

leftfrontside
29th Dec 2003, 10:56
Galaxy Flyer _ I'd like to say a "snowballs chance in hell" but seriously probably quite good as you're not a National so you would go to the head of the class.

You see in our little "sh.....t hole" Island if you're Pakistani, Kiwi or any other than True Blue you're in demand for any job.

Just turn on the ABC or in Aviation listen to the odd PA.

:mad: :mad:

nomorecatering
29th Dec 2003, 11:02
You may want to try Pelair. They run a fleet lf lear 35son military contracts out of Nowra. i know they employed an EX RAF harrier driver last year.

currawong
29th Dec 2003, 11:44
LEFTFRONTSIDE

You are disadvantaged.

I would suggest it is your attitude, not your accent that has got you there.

Have a nice day:ok:

Monkey Magic
29th Dec 2003, 21:00
Leftfrontside,

You are an idiot.

As currawong said, you may have something amiss.

Galaxy flyer, my advice is to apply for virgin blue (virginblue.com.au), i think your experience (if it is what I believe) will set you in good steed.

Cheers,

MM

SmallGlassofPort
29th Dec 2003, 21:38
Staff CV is a farse, if you are not involved in recruitment ask someone who is.
In the meantime, mate I would be happy to be your FO. Staff CV however through; it's setup will allow someone with low hours to get an interview before you..... depends upon the search range....

galaxy flyer
30th Dec 2003, 10:07
Thanks everyone. I have looked at the PilotCV site and I can see what you see about it not being great, but VB sends you right to it.

A friend was interviewed at AirServicesOZ and nearly went, had relatives of the Mrs to help. Would I need some sponsor to gain entry and does anyone know if pilots are offered entry?

GF

Torres
30th Dec 2003, 12:46
GF. Go do Some Homework (http://www.immi.gov.au) here. Should give you all the information on migrating to Australia. I doubt you will have too many problems. :ok:

Just don't bring Dubya with you!!! :mad: