PDA

View Full Version : Too late at 46?

Vectac Widger
29th Dec 2003, 04:12
Got my PPl at 19 but followed an alternative career. Now at the ripe old age of 46 my thoughts are turning back to aviation. I have always maintained an interest in flying but could not afford to keep up the hours (mortgage, family etc). What are my chances now, if any? Any suggestions as to a way forward would be much appreciated.

M.85
29th Dec 2003, 20:42
HI there,

You are 46 and have a PPL?
Do you want to work for an airline or flight instruct?
If its the first choice..Im sorry but I think you are a bit late.unless of course you are a pal of a bizjet owner and he keeps you a warm seat on his ship while you are off to the USA to burn holes in the sky and get your time up..
To get a JAA atpl you need to go through the 14 theory exams..i doubt you want to go back to school and study with 18-30 years chaps..
Long distance courses are available though but harder i would say.
You could also go for a flight instrution career..its rather quick..but not that expensive if you are planning to saty in that field.

Hope you get your chance to do what you always wanted to.
All the best,

M.85

Crosswind Limits
30th Dec 2003, 00:03
To be brutally honest mate I think you are too old at 46 for airline employment. However, what has been mentioned above re instructing may be a possibility but you still need a CPL and FI rating and would still have to do CPL ground studies and exams.

Whatever you do, DON'T give up the day job!

Ex Oggie
30th Dec 2003, 03:05
Just remember that difficult doesn't mean impossible! Depends how much you want it. Could you happily spend the rest of your life wondering if it would have worked out? If the answer is no ......... then maybe, just maybe it might work for you. But for Gawds sake, keep the day job for the time being. You might not (probobly won't) get a job on a 'shiny', but that is only a small part of what a professional pilot can do.

There are a few threads on this, try a search.

Best of Luck!

Obs cop
1st Jan 2004, 04:05
Hi Vectac,

46 is not too old for a change of career, even within the flying world. What you will need to do is set reasonable targets and objectives.

Whilst not impossible, I would suggest airlines are very unlikely. However the flip side is the wide variety of GA based jobs. The most common is obviously flight instruction, but gain 700 hours and Air taxi becomes a good option. At your age, you could well have an advantage. The slightly warped logic is that your relatively poor propects with airlines mean you would be a better long term bet for smaller operators as you would be less likely to move on.

Don't forget such things as biz jets, ferry pilot work, banner towing, aerial photography etc.

Even outside of GA there are a few charter cargo operations who fly bigger stuff around europe.

The balance is what you would enjoy doing and how you could cope with it financially.

Have a good look around with a broad outlook and you might just find something that entices you further into the change of career.

Regards Obs cop

flaps to 60
1st Jan 2004, 21:42
Vectac

While 46 is quite old in this game it is not impossible. I have known several guys between the age of 40 to 45 get jobs simply because the airline knows that while it may take more time and money to train you....you are more likely to reamain with them for the next 10-20 years.

It is most likely that it will be a turboprop or turbo/jet mix airline that will employ you.

Also while it may take less time and money to train a 20yr old the airlines most likely to employ you are but training fodder to the younger types who want to fly bigger jets in the long run and are always moaning about the lack of prospects etc etc

Age can work in your favour as some ailrines dont want spotty 18yr olds at the pointy end when the customers want to see a wealth experience flying them around.

It may that your flying hours won't be high but your experience and man management skills should be at that age and this counts for alot nowadays age flying with pilots, cabin crew and passengers from all walks of life.

Dont give up or give in and despite what some have said dont loose sight of what you want to do or the many pleasures this career brings (be aware that a lot of sh1te comes with it also but is only 5% of it).

My only advice is to target your airlines carefully and seriously consider air taxi either as a career (hard but rewarding) or as a route to the airlines.

Happy New Year and Good Luck.

MaxProp
2nd Jan 2004, 02:37
Forget airlines. go for air taxi

ecj
2nd Jan 2004, 17:16
It is a question of balancing your aspirations with reasonable expectations at your age.

If you can afford it, without putting yourself into significant debt, why not start the process of obtaining a CPL/IR.

1. Obtain a class one medical. No point spending any money on training if there is a problem here.

2. Modular groundschool first: Pilot mag ,and Flight International to name but two sources of adverts for this phase. The other option is a full time integrated course - say, Oxford, Jerez

3. Single-engine flying for the SEP[land] rating.

4. Multi-engine flying for IRT & MEP [land] rating.

5. Licence issue.

6. Flying Instructor's course.

7. MCC course if multi-crew flying a possibility.

Bottom line - employment is not certain at your tender age. Do the training as a challenge. Any employment must be regarded as a bonus not a certainty.

MorningGlory
2nd Jan 2004, 17:59
My 2p's worth; in answer to your question 46 too old? Almost certainly yes, but like many things before, (although few and far between) it has been done.

Of course the stakes are very much higher and unless you know the CEO of a bizjet company, I would save the 40K, the pain and frustration, and spend it on something else.. sorry.

MaxProp
3rd Jan 2004, 02:46
I think morning glory makes sense-unfortunately

buttline
3rd Jan 2004, 12:33
Just a thought - don't know if you're interested but the rotary world is a lot less age-sensitive than the airlines...

Average age of heli pilots is mid - late thirties... Also, light helis are lots more fun than PA28s and FI pay is around 40-50/hr instead of 15/hr in fixed wing... as I say, just a thought...

One North Sea operator even sponsored someone in his 40s recently...

Bobby Guzzler
3rd Jan 2004, 17:38
I think I'd have to agree with those saying it is probably a bit too late - sorry if it is not the news that you want to hear.

There are those suggestions of air taxi work and instruction - but are the associated salaries going to keep a family going as well as the other job? Depends how much you want to do it I suppose.

Up to you at the end of the day, not any of us lot - good luck. :ok:

Talking Checklist
3rd Jan 2004, 21:39
Refer back to ECJ's comments - cant think of better advice. Airline employment after your training would be very difficult to achieve and you would be very lucky to achieve it. I have seen the odd chap get through the door aged over 50 but this is an exception. Do not under any circumstances give up your main job. If you want to make a go of it build up the hours and take everything a step at a time.

I've flown with a lot of people who are carreer changers working at the "bottom end" of the airline industry (night freight) and truthfully they admit that the job is really not as good as they thought it would be - infact they would consider going back to their old employment for the money!

However if you dont have a go you will never know and will always critisize yourself - thats the dilemma!

Good luck but dont give up the day job!!!!!!!!!

Malc
4th Jan 2004, 03:53
Do it.

If you can face the next 20+ years of your working life wondering if you should have done it or not, then maybe it's not worth the risk.

Wouldn't it be better to think, when picking up the pension "I tried it, gave it my best shot, and it didn't work out for me" than "I really wish I'd......"

aardvark keeper
4th Jan 2004, 04:35
Remember this industry can never be understood.

Why not get a cpl, by which time you may have a better view of the market. Worst case you can instruct & I would very much recommend part time, other wise spend ten grand on an IR, which is still useful and see how it goes.

CPL-FI-ATPL's - would cost you 12k not inc hour building if req'd, eat, live etc & at least you can earn something.

You never know whats round the corner.

Or why not try riding the luck wave? At least you'll come over enthusiastic:ok:

Smokie
8th Jan 2004, 03:58
The Ball is certainly in your court, your call.

If you have job at the moment that has greatly rewarded you financially then go for it. At your age though, don't even consider part time /distance learning.
You would need a full time course, which will be very intensive to say the least, especially if you do not have a technical backgroud, engineering or computers for instance.

You then need to fly some hours preferably say at a Parachuting club on a Porter (turbine time), Islander ( twin time) or a SkyVan/Twin Otter (twin turbine time)
There will be stiff competion for these posts, virtually no pay but worth every hour in your log book. QUALITY TIME.
Its very unlikely that you can do all this and hold a full time job, unless its your company and you have guys working for you and you still collect a paycheck any way.

But all said and done, I have found that determination, perseverence, enthusiasm and VERY IMPORTANTLY, a healthy bank balance will stand you in good stead.

It may well be worth considering doing your own type rating once you've got that far. I normally would be against that though for a veritible amount of reasons but at your age it may well help. Don't think that just coz you went and did a 777 rating, BA are going to employe you.

If you go down that route though, consider very carefully which rating you do. Its got to be one that will realistically give you the best chance of securring a job.

It is not impossible but extremely HARD WORK.

Go for it if you can.

Good Luck

High Wing Drifter
8th Jan 2004, 14:47
At your age though, don't even consider part time /distance learning.

Why rule out the modular route?

aces low
11th Jan 2004, 23:19
I am 42. CPL/IR FI MCC and 1000 hrs. Still no airline or air taxi job but enjoying instructing. Trouble is I am skint and owe thousands (via modular training over 2-4 years). Regrets? Only wish I had done it earlier.
It was the right thing to do for me (had been drifting for years until now)..but not something to be undertaken lightly (costs years of your life and at least £40k). You will know if it is the right thing for you to do...you'll have no choice!

Most qualified wannabes I know are 'driven' and would not change a thing. Most of the drop outs I know have been graduates of integrated courses or people who cannot get past the ATPL written exams. Older self-improvers (modular types) tend to be highly motivated...juggling real life with flying.....aaahh if only the airlines appreciated that!

Short answer? If I never get an airline job... I still do not regret the investment in time and money.

scrot
12th Jan 2004, 06:20
Regarding the comments on groundschool of the ATPL Theory Subjects. I am the same age as you and I did a Distance Learning course in 8 months, it was difficult but as with so many things if you are motivated you will do it. But get a good school though, I used Bristol Groundschool they were just brilliant.

Good Luck to you.

Vectac Widger
7th Feb 2004, 08:45
Guys

Many thanks for all the advice. Much food for thought for me and any others considering the same thing. Much appreciated.

Cheers!:D